• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You ignored my question. Are you okay with me moving in next to you and doing all the things I said? If not, what are you going to do about it? Good luck finding anybody who wants to pay your asking price on a house next to the dump I'm living in. I guess you're just out of luck.

No I didn't. I told you it was a civil matter. You think your neighbor caused you to lose money. Fine. Sue him.

My personal opinion is that ownership means ownership, not stewardship.

If my neighbor wants to collect rusty cars, that's his business.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

As long as it is usufruct, yes. However, you cannot use ownership as a weapon to harm the property rights of others.

When the rats and other pests move in? Still his business? When the pests invade your property and endanger your family?

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Exactly sir, you said it. Now that nofarious character is behind bars, we can go back to ignoring that the ATF allowed guns to be smuggled into Mexico and sold illegally to criminal organizations and not a damn thing has been done to those that had their hands involved in Fast and Furious.

The code enforcement nazis nabbed another one. A Minnesota man will spend a month in a cae didn't finish putting the siding on his house. He ran into money troubles and couldn't afford to finish the project. Thank goodness this criminal is off the streets.

Man Jailed Over Unfinished Siding Project | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I would agree with this except that your neighbors are hurt when you let your property go to shambles, because it hurts property values. Can I move in next to you and fill my yard with rusted out cars and boats, let the weeds grow up several feet high, rip all the siding off my house so just the frame and insulation are showing, and generally make a mess of my property? Honestly, would you be okay with that or would you like legal remedies against me ruining your home's resale value?

Some jackwagon has been running around my subdivision putting big orange stickers on windows/doors in our subdivision and the owners of these sticker bombed houses aren't keeping up the landscaping like they should. It's surely having a negative effect on my property value.

I'm not defending the sidingless guy for dragging his butt on this, but if that is how they are defining harm are they enforcing it equally?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    As long as it is usufruct, yes. However, you cannot use ownership as a weapon to harm the property rights of others.

When the rats and other pests move in? Still his business? When the pests invade your property and endanger your family?

Who do I have a usufruct agreement with if I own the property outright? The State? If so, then you make my argument that we are not the owners of our property. As you say we are merely usufruct stewards.

We also assume that the house came to be after the city ordiance, and we know that this is not always the case since cities often incorporate neighboring townships. It is probably accurate, though, that he began his renovation knowing full well that he was within city limits and subject to the jurisdiction thereof.

The only weapon I see being weilded is the power of the state, and woe to any who fall on the wrong side of those who weild that blade.

If my neighbor causes measureable harm to me, then I have the ability to seek retribution from him in civil court, which is where all of this belongs, NOT criminal court.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    What if my neighbor is even uglier than her house? She needs to go be ugly somewhere else. My property values and eyes are suffering.

All this talk of big government and I don't see the big government doing anything to help my property value. They need to give me some hot neighbors. They should sun bathe in bikinis and maybe come over for drinks and other stuff. Sun bathing topless would be even better, but I think that will involve a tax hike. No wonder Bush said "no nude Texans" (misheard as "no new taxes"). But obviously people asked for nude Texans, causing new taxes.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Gadsden-Flag-i-will-not-comply.jpg

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Again, he is was in jail for contempt of court for failing to follow a court order. Not for the siding.

He was going to jail either way.

The Judge's ruling was 30 days, which he commuted to home detention.

He could have easily made him spend the weekend in the clink regardless.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Had a few minutes before a meeting....

Actual code he appears to have violated:
    Sterling Codifiers, Inc.
    4-8-3-3: EXTERIOR STRUCTURE:
    <snip>
    (B) Protective Treatment: All exterior surfaces, including, but not limited to, doors, door and window frames, cornices, porches and trim, shall be maintained in a good condition. Exterior wood surfaces, other than decay resistant woods, shall be protected from the elements and decay by painting or other protective covering or treatment. Peeling, flaking and chipped paint shall be eliminated and surfaces repainted. All siding and masonry joints as well as those between the building envelope and the perimeter of windows, doors, and skylights shall be maintained weather resistant and watertight. (Ord. 706, 3-16-1998)

Violations:
    4-8-1-6: VIOLATIONS:
    <snip>
    (D) Violation Penalties: Any person who shall violate a provision of this Chapter, or fail to comply therewith, or with any of the requirements thereof is guilty of a misdemeanor. Each day that a violation continues after due notice has been served shall be deemed a separate offense.

It is one thing to not agree with your town's ordinances. Plenty of ways to address that issue (lobby to have them changed, sue to have them changed, run for office and change them yourself).

It is quite another to try to blow them off for 5 years, and then act surprised when the local magistrate smacks your hands for the violation. If I can google them in 5 minutes, surely a resident can get familiar with them and plan accordingly.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    No I didn't. I told you it was a civil matter. You think your neighbor caused you to lose money. Fine. Sue him.

You sued me, I didn't show up, you won by default. I don't respond to court notices and don't change anything.

Top Bottom