• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    yeah i see that now i should of been more clear... i wouldn't just take someones life for fun but in a 1am hustle bustle confusion if they broke a window i could have been highly confused. its kind of scary thinking i could shoot and kill someone Ive gone to the same school with since 1st grade because i thought they were trying to rob me and they were just vandalizing my house cause they have some stupid "beef" with me
    Don't worry, I got "learned" here last year when I posted about the potential to be secure in my person and/or dwelling as well. :rolleyes:

Attention Negative Nancy's: Someone or something with the potential to be threatening and you're * right I'm going to be in a position to quickly defend myself. Walking around the house with gun in hand does not mean you're going to fly off the handle and start shooting into the dark. You can't say "be prepared" and then not follow through with an appropriate response to a threat.

Last edited by a moderator:

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    Get a paintball gun ? Deadly force isn't justified by getting apples thrown at your house...

The good old days when you could use rocksalt in a shotgun...

I don't really know what to say about your situation, find out who they are and call the police, or something. Get some outside lights with motion detectors.

Not sure about the laws of firing blanks in the air but that would scare anyone off.

And the fact that you said your enemies know you have guns doesn't really sound good, not really sure what i want to say about that...

You're gonna get flamed hard man..

Not really sure why you brought up firearms and kids throwing apples in the same situation, deadly force is a last result if there is no other reason for you to get away with your life and the other person is going to kill you or your family...

A paintball gun with no paintballs and a CO2 tank is a great way to make some loud noises and not hurt anyone...

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I'll say that if I woke up to the sound of apples against the house, my gun would jump up and into my hand (it has a mind of its own, after all). I'd send my dog out of my bedroom to investigate ahead of me. When I discovered that a break in was apparently not being attempted, I'd be sure to either call the police or holster my gun and confront the offenders directly (depending on if I knew them and the status of my relationship with them... though I'm sure I don't know anybody that would do this)

I think it is safe to say that the apple throwers, in my case, would NOT have been at any real risk of becoming a "victim" of false identification... (though my gun does have a mind of its own after all, but it isn't very good at typing so we'll never know!)

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I had a similar situation a few yrs. back when my niece was living with us. My dogs ( 2 German Shepard's)woke me up with their growling told them to shut-up and lay down, got up to take a leak while going looked out the window and seen someone running around the front yard trying to get into my niece's car grabbed my gun and a flashlight. When I opened the front door I seen the nieces ex-boyfriend egging her car and 1 of his friends toilet papering my tree. I wont lie and say I thought about my next move, but my dogs beat me to it they ran outside and started chewing some A**.
    After I called the dogs off I opened the garage so they could wash off the car and get the ladder to get the toilet paper out of the tree, with a little encouragement from my dogs.
    Anyway my point being just because you think the worst is happening keep a level head and actually see what the situation really is and take the neccesary action to resolve the situation with the least amount of force because once you pull the trigger no matter how hard you wish it you can never have that bullit back.
    Also get a big dog or 2 no one wants to get chased and bite by one in the dark .:twocents:

southin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Southern IN.
    Just last month my garage was broken into and things stolen. I didn't hear it, but the next night after, I spent in the garage. Yes, I had a gun, 2 in fact. A pistol and a shotgun.
    I did this hoping they would come back, because lots more stuff was still there to be taken. Would I have shot them? Probably not unless they were armed with a weapon and attacked, but I most certainly would have held them at gunpoint until the police arrived.
    I wanted to catch them not kill them, but confronting someone doing something like this without a gun is asking to get hurt.

Three nights later, the wife woke me and said a person was in the back yard at 2 am. Again, I had 2 guns while roaming the yard waiting for an officer to come by.

When asked if I always carry a gun? "Yes sir I do, 'cause next time, instead of my garage and some tools, it might be my house and family".

A friendly smile and "Try to get some rest, but call us back if anything else happens".

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    Imagine if you will ...

You are in a sound sleep, or what qualifies as a sound sleep for you, and suddenly you are jolted from that sleep in the early morning hours by loud bangs and/or thumps striking your house/windows.

You are trying to wake up, assess the situation, and respond appropriately so therefore you draw your sidearm and attempt to ascertain what is causing the "things going bump in the night".

Only then do you discover, most likely to your relief, that the "threat" was not as deadly as you were prepared for.

Although the OP didn't say he actually witnessed the apple throwing, but unless he has some special Wonder Twin-type power, how is he supposed to know what is causing the sounds that woke him up until he actually investigates the situation?

It is easy to look back on this with 20-20 vision, and I am glad the incident didn't end with someone in a body bag. The OP showed amazing restraint.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    You imply you would shoot kids for throwing apples at your house, and then you ask when THEY will grow up?

I agree with the responses above. Throwing things at someone's house does not justify the use of deadly force. Seems the OP needs to grow up and learn about responsible gun ownership.

Yeah, that's true, but if they were "hippies" throwing the apples, well...I've read that some people might think it was funny to shoot them. ;)

Top Bottom