• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Two pit bulls attacked a jogger in Chicago and put him in the hospital in critical condition. The dogs only stopped mauling him when they were shot dead by police. He really should have been carrying a weapon to protect himself. Doesn't he know how dangerous Chicago can be?

Chicago Jogger Critically Injured by Pit Bulls

I would like to point out that it probably wasn't the dogs' fault. The article points out that pit bulls don't usually attack people out of the blue unless they are mistreated by their owners.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Well, once again another dog mistreated by it's owners.

I'm not a big fan of all the pitbull stories, mainly because I own one and he is a great dog.

At least they mentioned in the article...."Dogs don't just attack". Usually it's something more along the lines of "pitbulls will attack anything living, end of story".

Regardless, it's sad that the man passed away. No one should have to worry about getting mauled by dogs while going for a run!!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Risky, I know.

At the risk of offending pit owners,(again), I've seen what a pit can do to a child. I've seen what a German shepherd can do to a child. It's not pretty. It's terrifying to the child and horrifying to the medical personel who have to help. Now that said, all pits aren't vicious, nor are all german shepherds. BUT, if you look up the # of attacks by breed I wonder what kind of pattern it would show?
    http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf

Pits and Rotweillers are responsible for the majority of fatal incidents.
    Pits are generally very strong jawed as are Rots.

It just makes sense to be aware of the trends and be extra careful around the breeds that cause the most damage. People whose dogs are loose and cause a problem should be fined and the dogs impounded. Destroyed if they attacked someone.
    And flippin Chicago and Illinois should have a liberal right to carry law.:twocents:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The owners should be destroyed if they're letting their dogs run loose allowing them to attack someone (not the dogs). If people aren't going to raise and train their dogs properly, they should stick to goldfish.

I feel the exact same way about the people that are popping out kids and "raising" them to be trash. Castration and a bag of goldfish would stop almost all of this crap.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I started a thread about jogging with a gun and another INGO member whose initials starts with THard6 said I should stop being scared and just run. This is a perfect example of why I want to carry while I run. If it had been a cop that was out running, he would have had the uninfringed right to carry and protect himself. The guy that got mauled had the right to have a gun, but the right was infringed upon by the State of Illinois. I used to work in the emergency department and the things I have seen make me dislike dogs. I have seen people disfigured including a man that had his entire top lip bit off by his dog. The family brought the lip with them in a cup on ice. When I speak with the dog bite victims during the treatment time, there are two statements that are almost always uttered at some point: 1) "I never thought [dog name] would do that"; and 2) "He/She never bit anyone before." Pit bulls are dangerous. People can say, "Not my dog. He wouldn't hurt a flea." But the truth is that dogs are animals and some people tend to forget that.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I started a thread about jogging with a gun and another INGO member whose initials starts with THard6 said I should stop being scared and just run. This is a perfect example of why I want to carry while I run. If it had been a cop that was out running, he would have had the uninfringed right to carry and protect himself. The guy that got mauled had the right to have a gun, but the right was infringed upon by the State of Illinois. I used to work in the emergency department and the things I have seen make me dislike dogs. I have seen people disfigured including a man that had his entire top lip bit off by his dog. The family brought the lip with them in a cup on ice. When I speak with the dog bite victims during the treatment time, there are two statements that are almost always uttered at some point: 1) "I never thought [dog name] would do that"; and 2) "He/She never bit anyone before." Pit bulls are dangerous. People can say, "Not my dog. He wouldn't hurt a flea." But the truth is that dogs are animals and some people tend to forget that.

ALL dogs can be dangerous. Properly raising and training a dog reduces that danger. Paying attention to your animals and making sure they can't get out and run free also reduces that danger. I get sick of seeing "pit bull attack" in the news when many times it isn't even a bully breed (not talking this specific story). I've read countless stories about "pit bull attacks" that ended up being other large breeds. The pit bull thrown in the stories just make it attract more attention. If you get ANY dog because it sounds like fun or a good idea but you're not willing to put the effort into training and caring for the animal (including keep the animal secure), get some goldfish and NEVER have kids because you're not ready for the responsibility.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I agree that dogs can be dangerous. Like modelflyer2003 and sepe said, they aren't just pets, they are still animals. I believe that proper training can reduce the risk of a dog attacking a human. Proper supervision goes a long way too; even a properly trained dog may bite a human if it's provoked. Unfortunately, there is no way to guarantee that a dog will never bite or attack a human. However, I do believe that with responsible dog training and supervision the benefits of canine ownership far outweighs the risks.

I don't think the man passed away yet; the last I read he was alive, but in critical condition. There are really two travesties in this story: the stupidity of the dogs' owner, and the restriction of that jogger's second amendment rights. Both of them combined to cause this tragedy.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone else wonder if those dogs from the article really were pit bull terriers?

Because true APBTs aren't all that big... Granted, even a medium sized dog can put a hurt on, and 2 or more can really make things messy in a hurry...

But as a guy who tries to focus on the facts (HAH...this is the Internet, after all), it REALLY bothers me that just about any mutt-looking dog is called a "pit bull". It just isn't so.

-J-

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When I walk/jog/run, I always have a pistol with me.

I support dog owners training their dogs and providing a good environment.

BUT in spite of this, dogs COMMONLY don't behave the way they're "trained" to NOT behave aggressively towards people when their owners aren't around.
    I've seen this and I'm sure others have too.

So the "wouldn't hurt a fly" dog will become a 'WOULD hurt a fly" (and more) dog when not under the supervision of it's owner.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    well i am sorry he didnt make it, i am happy to hear that they didnt say "all pit bulls are the devil and should be shot on sight"

when i was a younger, like 13ish, i was riding my bike and chased for what seemed like ever by 3 dogs (i cant remeber the breed) and was terified. theres no reason not to protect yourself from all threats being human or not.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I'd bet my house they weren't Pit Bulls. If this statement is true:
    "The dogs were large, heavily muscled male pit bulls"

They sound like these dogs being bred now with 24" heads weighing 90lbs. This new Bully breed being registered as Pit Bulls that are mixed with who knows what.
    ASPCA | Pit Bull Bias in the Media

But lets assume they are Pit Bulls. They probably have shown some human aggression in the past and should have been put to rest along time ago. Humane aggression can't be tolerated in this breed. Period. The dogmen of the 70's should have never let their pups be sold to the public. Like it used to be. I hate dogfighting but atleast those dumbasses could have kept the breed from the daily death they see in over populated streets and shelters.

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I find all of these sample of one declarations humorous. The fact that your (insert dog breed here) is well behaved and wouldn't hurt a fly doesn't changed the fact that these animals are mauling/killing people.

I believe the owner of the dog should be responsable for whatever his dog does. The animal is a weapon that the owner must be in control of at all times.

Top Bottom