Man prosecuted for having SBR. It's actually an AR Pistol + Brace.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    INGO never trusts the government....unless it sends a letter saying your firearm in non-NFA.

That, we trust.

Not even then (I know you are being sarcastic).

One only has to look at what happened to BRP with the XMG and of course all the nonsense that happened around the ATF randomly changing their mind. Hell, really the best example is all the stuff around the arm braces that apparently we are still dealing with, as this seems to indicate the 4th time the ATF has changed it's mind about them. They are okay... Wait, no they aren't, if you shoulder them you are criminal... Wait, wait, that last guy was wrong, arm braces are totally okay... Just kidding, you are under arrest.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I never thought it was a good idea to post a bunch of details about ones "brace" build, then shoot video of it and put it on YouTube, regardless of what one branch of the ATF said.

Guess I'm just an old, paranoid fuddy-duddy.

I'm all for hoping that this unsuccessful prosecution puts an end to this nonsense, but all it takes is a crusading prosecutor to say: "sure looks like a stock to me" and a jury dumb enough to agree. Because, it looks for all the world like a stock and about 87.9% of people using them aren't strapping their arms in there.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I never thought it was a good idea to post a bunch of details about ones "brace" build, then shoot video of it and put it on YouTube,....................................................................................................................

Perhaps the best suggestion ever made on INGO.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The atf has proven that they never deal in good faith. They have no credibility and integrity but that doesn’t seem to stop them. That goes for any over zealous prosecutor as well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    INGO: "A protective order is just a piece of paper that bad guys can walk through."

Kirk Freeman: "Maybe, but your inane letter ruling rationalizing your purchase of a silly weapon can be walked through by a US Attorney."

INGO: "Meye ryyyeeettts!"

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    One of Trump's failures is he did not clean house at the DOJ his first day in office.

And yes, the government's attempt to suppress determination letters as evidence may be legal, but it is not ethical, and it is not justice.

The problem is that the laws are written in broad, fill-in-the-blank terms that end up being a block grant of endless authority to the executive agencies.

ATF should not be making law or legal interpretations. It should be written plainly into the law.

But that would require Congress to do its job, and we all know how likely that is.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There should be a different approach to federal lawmaking and subsequent rule making. It really should be up to Congress to make the laws as clear (or not) as they can, then leave it to the courts to interpret. Yeah, that's kind like going back to the way it was a long time ago, but currently a whole lot of people in a whole lot of different contexts are getting a raw deal.

We need a name for this change in approach. Something snappy. Something catchy.

Maybe the "New Deal."

Oh.

Wait.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The problem is that the laws are written in broad, fill-in-the-blank terms that end up being a block grant of endless authority to the executive agencies.

ATF should not be making law or legal interpretations. It should be written plainly into the law.

But that would require Congress to do its job, and we all know how likely that is.

There should be a different approach to federal lawmaking and subsequent rule making. It really should be up to Congress to make the laws as clear (or not) as they can, then leave it to the courts to interpret. Yeah, that's kind like going back to the way it was a long time ago, but currently a whole lot of people in a whole lot of different contexts are getting a raw deal.

We need a name for this change in approach. Something snappy. Something catchy.

Maybe the "New Deal."

Oh.

Wait.

Congress will never go along...they'd have no one to blame but their own votes and that might endanger their most important job.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    safe_image.php

The weird thing is, that brace looks like less of a stock than, say, a Shockwave Blade. That AFG is a little hinky, though. I'd have gone with the MagPul one, myself.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    safe_image.php

The weird thing is, that brace looks like less of a stock than, say, a Shockwave Blade. That AFG is a little hinky, though. I'd have gone with the MagPul one, myself.

Is that the gun in question? Where did you find the pics?

Side note. That thing looks way too tacticool to be practical or useful.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What caliber is that? If it is a PCC style, that might've figured into the argument, too.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    How about the guy who is unable to push a Sig brace fully onto the buffer tube? Does having the brace in a position where it still fits well on a forearm but not in designed proximity to the extension base present a unique legal challenge? (assuming the 13.5" rule is not a rule)

Asking for a friend.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    How about the guy who is unable to push a Sig brace fully onto the buffer tube? Does having the brace in a position where it still fits well on a forearm but not in designed proximity to the extension base present a unique legal challenge? (assuming the 13.5" rule is not a rule)

Asking for a friend.
    Like this :cool:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    safe_image.php

That might be the UGLIEST AR I've ever seen. It's funny to see what people will slap on their rifles.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Do you measure from the top or bottom?

HIS wife. Throw a phone at her...DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. OK...if it's buried in her forehead....maybe that's not a friendly toss. This domestic violence is like a Kavanaugh Rape: Both are abuses of the law in favor of sometimes crazy women.

Top Bottom