• ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Some people just shouldn't have dogs.:twocents:

Man shoots pet dog during attack on daughter | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

An Eastside man shot his family's dog to stop it from attacking his 2-year-old daughter on the Eastside last night.
    Christopher Schafer, 26, 1400 block of North Tuxedo St., fired one shot into the dog's shoulder after it had clenched Krista Schaefer by the neck, knocked her to the ground and bit her on the shoulder, underarm and nose, according to an Indianapolis Metropolitan police report.

The child was not seriously injured and didn't need to be hospitalized.
    Schafer told police he and Krista's older sister succeeded momentarily in getting the dog away from Krista but when it started after her again he shot it with a .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun.
    The 7-year-old shepherd-chow mix ran to its doghouse in the backyard after being shot.
    Indianapolis Animal Care and Control officers found it hiding behind the doghouse and took it to a veterinarian to be checked out.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Why shouldnt he have dogs?? I would have shot the dog also.. What do you think he should have done different?

Now if he wouldnt have done anything, then I would say he shouldnt have dogs..

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    i wouldn't need a gun for that dog i would have grabbed it by the jaw and ripped his jaw apart if it was trying to kill my kid.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    That's a hell of a lot better reason than is often given by ........ say...... your friendly neighborhood swat team. :whistle:

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I think the fact that the dog attacked his child is a clear indication of prior neglect of the dog (or worse).

The same thing can happen with any pet that has its own brain.. You can train animals all you want but they still make their own decisions.. Hell there have been trained police dogs turn on their partner.

I was bit by my daughters goldfish the other day, I dont think that means I shouldnt own one.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    I think he did the right thing by shooting the dog. I'm glad the kids all right, and the dog didn't die. I wonder if they will take the dog back or put him down. I personally would have the dog put down.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I think he did the right thing by shooting the dog. I'm glad the kids all right, and the dog didn't die. I wonder if they will take the dog back or put him down. I personally would have the dog put down.
    as much as I love my dogs, they would be put down. Children come first.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    The dog needed dealt with, that is true. However, dogs respect pack structure and that one wasn't in the proper place in said structure, clearly.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I think the guy shouldn't have guns.
    If he can't kill a dog at close range with a 40 S&W he needs some lessons or something.

As usual there is more to this story.
    I have found Chows to be pretty unpredictable.
    It's one of those breeds that I never really trust.
    just IMHO

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't have any experience with shepards but I know that chows tend to be a one person dog that tend to shy away from other people including family members. The child might have given the dog a hug or some other innocent event that set the dog off. It's a shame that the dog had to be shot but in this case it was justified.

I have had chows around my kids when they were smaller and I always made sure that they understood that they were daddys' dogs and they were to stay away from them. We never had an incident with the 3 I've had over the years.

MikeH82, you should really consider having the goldfish euthanized or returned to the wild, after tasting human flesh it can only get worse. At the very least move the fishbowl out of your daughters room for her own safety. South Park did a very informative episode on just this very thing.:rofl:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think the fact that the dog attacked his child is a clear indication of prior neglect of the dog (or worse).
    I don't see how that assumption can be made from the story. That is pure speculation.

Many dogs have dominance issues with children and don't respect them the same as they do their master. I can see where this dog was a good, well-behaved dog, but just didn't respect the child. Also, chow's are not typically kid-friendly dogs (normally show aggression to children), so being a mix of German Shepherd and Chow I can see how this happened.

While the owners may be at fault, I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

:twocents:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Not enough info here. In Dec, I had to put down our 15 yr-old chow-mix. He had several age-related issues. The dog would lay on the floor while the grandkids used him for a pillow. NEVER one issue, or outburst from the dog, but at the same time, the grandkids were taught about the dog. I've posted pics here of Luka... he's got chow in him, and he spent last Saturday nurse-maiding a 2 yr-old relative for over 6 hours, and never did anything other than stand beside the child and wag his tail. Wouldn't even take snacks from the kid until the snacks were put on the floor. I have to wonder about possibly the rest of the story.

Last edited:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I don't see how that assumption can be made from the story. That is pure speculation.

Many dogs have dominance issues with children and don't respect them the same as they do their master. I can see where this dog was a good, well-behaved dog, but just didn't respect the child. Also, chow's are not typically kid-friendly dogs (normally show aggression to children), so being a mix of German Shepherd and Chow I can see how this happened.

While the owners may be at fault, I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

:twocents:

Fair enough.

I have a GSD and an infant. If my dog ever attacked my child, the dog would be gone for sure. That said, if the dog even growls at the child, the dog will be gone for sure. The child takes 100% priority, but the dog is also being actively trained to respect the child (despite already showing obvious respect for the child and her space).

My GSD is an in-house dog.... he is not isolated in the back yard (like this dog apparently is, according to it reportedly living in a dog house). I don't believe dogs should be kept like that.:twocents: Especially a breed like this that is known to have dominance issues, especially not where children are living.

I realize I'm jumping to conclusions... but that doesn't change my mind. I don't believe this guy should have dogs, certainly not such a large and powerful dog, and definitely not the specific one that already attacked his kids.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Wonder where he placed the bullet seeing the dog was able to get back to his doghouse, lick his wounds, & wait for the police to come rescue him.

With my daughter in the potential line of fire I think I would've run up and kicked the pooch's head like David Beckham... GOOOOOOOAL! And then put him down for the count.

Easy to be an armchair quarterback though

Top Bottom