• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Very sad, these are why rules are important. The article doesn't say anything about him wearing hunter orange but I bet he wasn't. Wear your orange while on the ground folks and stay safe!

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I imagine a youth probably shot him, but the adult is saying the he did it.

Just my wild speculation.

Nope, according to all investigative reports, there were 3 adults (illegally hunting deer during youth season) and one 12 yr, old youth (the only one wearing orange; again illegal.) All reports point towards one of the other adults killing the deceased. Here is a more detailed report.
    Indiana DNR: U.S. Marine shot and killed during youth hunting weekend identified

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Nope, according to all investigative reports, there were 3 adults (illegally hunting deer during youth season) and one 12 yr, old youth (the only one wearing orange; again illegal.) All reports point towards one of the other adults killing the deceased. Here is a more detailed report.
    Indiana DNR: U.S. Marine shot and killed during youth hunting weekend identified

Hammer has the true skinny. The investigation is on going and the true and whole facts will come to light when it is complted. I'll say this for a fact - the youth did not fire the shot.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Sadly, I've never hunted, working with church friend to change that, anyway, is it really that easy to mistake a person for a deer? Sorry if that sounds sarcastic or stupid, but again, never hunted, seems like you wouldn't take a shot @ something you couldn't really see.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    If you don't mind let's leave the kid out of it.

The young man killed was his future brother in law.

I can not begin to imagine the traumatic effect of this on the kid..

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    This is horrible. My condolences to the family of the deceased. Also, what a horrible way to be introduced to the hunting experience. Whether the child fired the shot or not, there's definitely going to be some emotional trauma. Poor kid.

EDIT: As an aside, did I read right that blaze o. is required by law in IN? It's suggested but not mandatory here in the DPRNY. I have B.O. inserts just as a matter of caution, but they aren't mandatory.

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I'm told by a co worker who's daughter knows the family , the man was shot in the head. Murder made to look like an accident ? Seems fishy.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Sadly, I've never hunted, working with church friend to change that, anyway, is it really that easy to mistake a person for a deer? Sorry if that sounds sarcastic or stupid, but again, never hunted, seems like you wouldn't take a shot @ something you couldn't really see.

Umm, is it really that easy to mistake a person for a deer? No. Mostly when we hear about someone getting shot in the woods while hunting, it is because an idiot isn't a safe hunter to begin with. Don't verify your target, you've got no business sending slug/arrow/rock from a slingshot down range.

NYFelon, yeah.

Fluorescent Orange Requirements— To meet fluorescent orange (or “hunter orange”) clothing requirements, you must wear as an outer garment exposed at all times one or more of the following articles that are solid fluorescent orange in color: a vest, coat, jacket, coveralls, hat or cap. Camouflage-patterned fluorescent orange garments do not satisfy the requirement.

You must wear fluorescent orange if you are hunting:

Deer
    Pheasant
    Quail
    Rabbit
    Ruffed grouse
    Squirrel (Nov. 7-Dec. 31)

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I see. As I say, I think it is a wise choice to wear it, especially if hunting public land where other hunters will be in reasonably close proximity. I don't really care for the idea of it being mandatory however.

Top Bottom