• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I took a run where a man put a .40 cal through and through his temples. He was drunk at the time and it knocked him unconscious for the night.

He got up the next morning, took a shower and was laying on the couch watching television when his estranged wife came to the house to look for him.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I took a run where a man put a .40 cal through and through his temples. He was drunk at the time and it knocked him unconscious for the night.

He got up the next morning, took a shower and was laying on the couch watching television when his estranged wife came to the house to look for him.
    I wonder what THAT did for his hangover!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    One of my best friends (R.I.P. Kirkman) was an EMT for the German Township Fire Department and he told me a story about how a guy went to [where ever], signed a do not resuscitate order and then blew a significant portion of his brains out of the back of his head. When Kirkman arrived, the guy was sitting at his kitchen table waiting on them. Besides a huge speech impediment, you wouldn't have even noticed there was a 3-4 inch hole in the back of his head.

Because of the DNR, they just sat there and comforted him until he finally bled out.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This story has nothing do with the fact that the bullet was a 9mm as a few posts imply. There isn't much upstairs that contribute to sustaining life. Its not all about the apple, its about the apple core, or in my field the brain stem (apple stem would have been just too confusing of a reference :D ).

The brain stem is responsible for everything compatible with life, that and the cranial nerves which sit next to the stem. Even insults like a head bleed the larger worry is the amount of pressure in the vault (skull) and where the pressure is going (foramen magnum- hole on bottom of skull for the stem)

Brain2b.gif

The brain stem is responsible for everything compatible with life, that and the cranial nerves which sit next to the stem. Even insults like a head bleed the larger worry is the amount of pressure in the vault (skull) and where the pressure is going (foramen magnum- hole on bottom of skull for the stem) See red arrow. When the pressure gets too high it pushes the stem through the foramen like sausage into a casting machine. Nerve tissue hates being touched and pressure.

image.img.jpg

As you can see in this transverse cut, there is plenty of tissue that can be injured without killing some one. (BTW that black space is void or the ventricles.... filled with CSF)

HTH RNM

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    CSF = Cerebral Spinal Fluid. Yup, that and the vertebrae there that support the Spinal Cord itself. Hence the saying C1 thru 5 keep you alive. Break, damage or suffer a severe enough blow there, and you can basically kiss it off. There are exceptions (there are ALWAYS exceptions), but they're few and far between. That's the reason for the C-Collar in any type of fall or auto accident. If you don't die, you could end up paralyzed from the neck down, for life. The other risk for that area is a Brain Stem Lesion, have/get one of those, and you'd better have had your will made out, cuz you're relatives are going to need it.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    That guy just can't win. Girlfriend dumps him. Won't let him in her apartment. He decides to shoot her twice. Misses once and only gets her in the arm with the other. Flees the seen and thinks he's gotten away. Almost home and gets pulled over by the local p.d. Decides he's not going to jail so he will just kill himself. Puts the gun to his head, bang, ouch, bang, ouch, bang, seriously, I give up. What a day.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    That guy just can't win. Girlfriend dumps him. Won't let him in her apartment. He decides to shoot her twice. Misses once and only gets her in the arm with the other. Flees the seen and thinks he's gotten away. Almost home and gets pulled over by the local p.d. Decides he's not going to jail so he will just kill himself. Puts the gun to his head, bang, ouch, bang, ouch, bang, seriously, I give up. What a day.

ROTFL...:laugh:

Last edited:

Tim1911

Marksman
    Rating - 87%
    20   3   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Southside Indy
    This happens a lot more often than you'd think. I've seen guys who have blown their face off, or most of everything out of the back, and lived through it. A few weeks ago a woman double tapped herself in the chest with a .357 in Crown Hill Cemetery and lived through it. As fragile as the body is, it's pretty resilient really.

Top Bottom