• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't think I told her how much I gave to hoosierdoc / hartatac.com when I bought a slew of Magpul goodies for my shotgun. Nor the $25 or so I sent to kalboy down south for the mag tube extension. She seemed a bit miffed that I had the shotgun to begin with - considering that I'd bought a similar one a few months beforehand. I did sell that one, though - so that helped.

I do consider myself VERY fortunate that my wife knows that I have and enjoy this hobby. She also knows that I (voluntarily) don't spend as much time/money on it as I could and as I want.

This is dangerous. There be knives that cost as much if not more than guns and they accumulate faster because they're smaller, easier to hide from wives, until you get a Microtech Halo V or a Medford and spend 500-1000usd on a knife, that's less her finding out than her using them on you..... You're playing with napalm sir.....NAPALM!!!

I told her last night that Brad had just gotten in a shipment of Medford knives. And that I'd looked them up. And that I want one. And that it's about $450. For Father's Day... She told me "no". :-(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've come to realize a crack addiction is probably cheaper than being a firearms hobbyist. I'd hate to total how much I've spent on guns, ammo, and accessories just in the last three years.

Oh well, at least guns tend to gain in value. Can't say that about ammunition though!

It's like printer ink. When you think of how long you're going to have it guns aren't that expensive, but boy you just gotta keep buying ammo.

With a gun addiction, as compared to Krack, you still have your TV when you wake up. Krack addicts tend to sell everything.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I told her last night that Brad had just gotten in a shipment of Medford knives. And that I'd looked them up. And that I want one. And that it's about $450. For Father's Day... She told me "no". :-(

LOL, you didn't go big enough. Should have said you want a 1300usd Medford. Then approach her a few days later and tell her you found one for 450usd. You'll still get told no, but she'll know that you were smart enough to not spend 1300 , thats when you go spend 1300.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What goes into those knives to make them worth $1500 :n00b:? At that price I expect it to have been blessed by the friggin' Pope himself.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    They are beastly. I've never heard a bad thing about a Medford except that his knives aren't made for the dainty. They are beefy and robust.
    I looked into them. Good knives, but definitely a surcharge for the brand in there IMHO. Guess not being a knife aficionado I can't fully appreciate them.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I looked into them. Good knives, but definitely a surcharge for the brand in there IMHO. Guess not being a knife aficionado I can't fully appreciate them.

Hey, it's my opinion, too. And I'm no where near an aficionado. I also happen to like Grayman knives. They're considerably less expensive and much less "pretty" but they're still impeccably made. To go all hyperbolic, you can probably cut a car in half with a big Grayman and a Medford - but you'd not feel as bad doing that to a Grayman. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. The "best" knives that I have right now are a ZT0350, an ESEE 4, and an ESEE Junglas. Neither ESEE have ever even cut tape on a box.

Henry gear is a quality purchase, though. At least you're spending your money on good stuff.

Agreed there. Yesterday afternoon while the kids were away, I had out both my Raven Phantoms and my new Henry.

Couldn't tell a lick a difference between them.

I do, however, wish that Henry's eyelet/gusset/hole spacing mimicked that of Raven so that Raven's accessories would fit on the Henry stuff. However - should I choose to do so, I could alter a Raven accessory to fit on the Henry. But it would require drilling holes to do so. Not only would this void Raven's warranty - but I don't have any of the grommets to install around the holes to protect the holes.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    She doesn't have to find out.

But she could.

It would be a real shame if that happened.

Do you need my paypal address?

Heck, I'll bring her along if/when we get the lessons worked out.

She can put the smack down. I may need you to protect me.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Just priced out an order at JGsales. A few boxes of surplus ammo, a cheap powder scale, kinetic bullet puller, and some targets. Came out to over $100 for what amounts to odds-and-ends. Not as bad as I thought it would be though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    I always tell myself and my other half that it's an "investment" and not an expense. :rolleyes:

My husband says this too! I have mixed feelings though. At least one gun we bought a year ago has gone up in price where we could make a small profit for a used one, which is crazy, and i am glad weve invested in carry guns. But there comes a point when the definition of "investment" gets stretched i think. But as long as im agreeable with most "investments" i have more "no" power when i need to :bat:

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Investment? I keep telling my girlfriend that and she just smiles and shakes her head. LOL. But every time I buy a new gun I am sure that is the last one I will need! LOL.

TangoSierra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    NEVER EVER EVER keep track of what you spend!!!

I've been tracking firearm and ammo purchases (sans accessories), mostly to track ammo inventory, usage, and average cost per round per caliber. When I look at the totals it can be quite sobering...

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Yea that tracking of costs could be really scary! LOL. Guns, Ammo, Range Fees etc. Instead of tracking costs think I will just start planning my next gun purchase. LOL. Not near as stressful or scary!

Top Bottom