• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have seen untold number of trials and testified many times. It would really be nice to sit in a jury room and hear the deliberations. Listen to what they understand to be the law and how they perceive it. Also to compare what was purposely ommitted vs. what they received as testimony. As far as I am concerned each case I have been in on, it was a "crap shoot" on the verdict.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have seen untold number of trials and testified many times. It would really be nice to sit in a jury room and hear the deliberations. Listen to what they understand to be the law and how they perceive it. Also to compare what was purposely ommitted vs. what they received as testimony. As far as I am concerned each case I have been in on, it was a "crap shoot" on the verdict.
    Amen to that! I was on only one jury but it was enough for me. It was a sexual deviate conduct charge. We had the fate of the defendant and the need for justice for the victim in our confused hands. The entire jury wanted to strangle both the prosecutor and the defense attorney for the questions they DIDN'T ask and for the holes we had to deal with. It was so emotionally draining for me that I couldn't even have convicted Adolph Hitler after that ordeal.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    He could have been exaggerating the bite attempt. Who knows. But if I felt my dog might bite for no reason at all it would be put down.

I do remember walking outside my old house to a meth headed idiot smacking my bulldog a few times in the face because she was barking along the fense. He reached over the fense and kept hitting her hard. I didn't have time to react. But he left with a bloody hand. I didn't scold her for that. She was 3 years old at the time and the next 12 years went by without a single aggression issue. She was the best friend to 6 or 7 foster placements in her years. She was a well bred registered Jeep/Colby bloodlined Pit Bull Terrier

Man waling his neighboor hood is met in the street by a dog and nearly bitten(contact was made but bite avoided), dog was on a long cable tethered to a tree and extended 6.5 ft into the street. Person, armed permit holder, continues walk home and decides to return to talk to home owner about shortening the dogs leash. All lights on, 2 cars in drive way and garage door up, Man rings door bell, knocks on door(dog approches, barking) but no answer.(there more) but as man tries to enter his vehicle to leave dog approches fast enough to be threat of attack. 2 shots fired. Man charged and convicted by jury of his "peers". D felony and A misdmeanor.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The man had been attacked by the dog. How could he reasonably expect to approach the house within the arc of the dog's leash and not be attacked again? Either way it reflects poorly on the gun community and that's a shame.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Amen to that! I was on only one jury but it was enough for me. It was a sexual deviate conduct charge. We had the fate of the defendant and the need for justice for the victim in our confused hands. The entire jury wanted to strangle both the prosecutor and the defense attorney for the questions they DIDN'T ask and for the holes we had to deal with. It was so emotionally draining for me that I couldn't even have convicted Adolph Hitler after that ordeal.

I can see not introducing the past convictions of a person during the trial. The jury needs to have all the information possible without infringing on the rights of the accused. Sometimes suppression hearing go way too far.

Two weeks ago we went to a fight (more than that). I went through the apartment to see if there were anyone else in the place. I found drugs in plain sight. She eventually signed a consent to search but I feel that there will be a suppression hearing on that.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I can see not introducing the past convictions of a person during the trial. The jury needs to have all the information possible without infringing on the rights of the accused. Sometimes suppression hearing go way too far.

Two weeks ago we went to a fight (more than that). I went through the apartment to see if there were anyone else in the place. I found drugs in plain sight. She eventually signed a consent to search but I feel that there will be a suppression hearing on that.
    It sure isn't like Perry Mason. A few weeks after the trial I talked about above I saw the "victim" walking at the Fall Festival. It wasn't appropriate to approach her but I wish I could have said, "PLEASE, tell me what really happened. Did he do what you said he did? Were you past lovers? What the h*** really happened." I imagine your get very frustrated by things you see that will never have justice served on.

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    If your in my yard and shouldn't be your far game to my dogs but if they are in your yard and shouldn't be then they are far game.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I don't know which case you're talking about, but I'll say this much...
    One day last week, I was taking boxes out to a burn pile behind work and there was a guy nearish there with two dogs. One of a breed I didn't know and one of a pit. They were not leashed and they were not under his control by any means. He was yelling at them to stay put and they were trotting my direction regardless. The more he yelled at them to come back and kept emphatically pointing at the ground yelling "HERE!!", the more they ignored him. One did jump on me, and even though at that time I sensed it wasn't intending anything more than trying to be playful and too curious, I yelled at the guy that if it moved to bite me I was going to bite back. I think it was pretty clear what I meant since I was OCing that day.
    In retrospect, I gave too much leeway and too much trust in an animal I didn't know and it won't happen again.

This is simply inexcusable uncontrolled dogs not on a leash not to mention pits are terrible creatures and should be put down.

As far as the case at hand he went to a know dangerous situation and the phrase looking for trouble comes to mind. It ain't self defense when you go looking for it, almost sounds like hunting.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I can understand attempting to settle the matter in a civil fashion, without calling the police, since the dog was not loose and it was obvious who it belonged to...

What I do not understand, is if the problem is the length of the dogs binding, and the dog posing a threat - why would you walk into that area?

It is like he was going to communicate "The chain is too long, if someone walks in that area they could be hurt" ... so he walked in that area to say it?

:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    This is simply inexcusable uncontrolled dogs not on a leash not to mention pits are terrible creatures and should be put down.

Terrible like pots of bacon at the end of a double rainbow.. :yesway:

But ya.. leashes are good... especially considering powerful dogs... in the city... people do stupid things...

Last edited:

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I agree that it's inexcusable to have uncontrolled dog not on a leash but I'm going to have to call BS on the part about pits being terrible creatures. I happen to be the proud owner of 2 (yes 2) that never fight, love people and love other dogs. Both of them have been save from a rescue. One of them was abused and neglected. I have no fear of them doing some thing dumb and the are both used for temper testing of other pits. Mine have changes the mind and attitude of others that felt the same way. and its not just mine that are that way. for one owning any dog is no different than owning a gun you have to be a responsible owner. PLEASE DON'T JUDGE THE BREED JUDGE THE DEED I have worked with hundreds of pits and the only time I have been bitten by a dog is by my neighbors 2 (yes both of them bit me) Jack Russel's so are all Jacks terrible creatures that should be put down and band?

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Got one, so before it gets out of hand I have had a many as twelve pits in my house and I have rescued pits before so you can get off you're soap box

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I didn't want someone to call down the thunder, I expect many people will still miss the second post and will quote and go off before they read further down the thread.

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I think it was funny now, I have had people scream and run from my when they saw them on a leash and fully under control. so i do get defensive about the bread. everyone has a right to their opinion and I don't hold that against them and/or stop me from being friends or getting along with them.
    :):

Top Bottom