Mandatory Notification at traffic stop??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Are you guys talking to cops again? What have I told you?:D

Do I have to tell the story about the engineer and the M66 . . . yet again.

Don't tell unless they ask. Tell them, don't show them like the engineer did. Eddie Haskell up, and yes, if they want you out of the car, then get out of the car.

6 pages and no one has mentioned Kirk's First Law of the Internet. *hands in pockets, kicks rocks*

Helrazr1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    i respect your opinion rhino, however, the answers you will provide the officer will more than likely land you in a more timely stop than simply cooperating. with answers like that the officer will be more tempted to dig deeper with a citizen who is unwilling to cooperate or answer questions straightforward.

i will present the carry permit, my liscense, my registration and proof of insurance at the time of the stop, and if asked if i currently have one, it will be "yes at my 4 o'clock" or "yes between the seat and center console" my goal is to be as cooperative and honest so they can get about their business and i can get about to mine.

Exactly right! If you're evasive and being uncooperative, it just gives them reason to believe that you might be up to no good. If you're a law abiding citizen, and the only thing you're doing is posessing a firearm.....legally, then why not let them know for your safety and theirs, so you can be on your way.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Exactly right! If you're evasive and being uncooperative, it just gives them reason to believe that you might be up to no good. If you're a law abiding citizen, and the only thing you're doing is posessing a firearm.....legally, then why not let them know for your safety and theirs, so you can be on your way.

I don't know about you, but when I hear LEOs, lawyers, and some extremely experienced gun people tell me to keep my mouth shut, I'm inclined to listen to them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

If you're talking about what I originally added to this topic, there is nothing uncoooperative or evasive about it. If you see it that way, you miss the point completely.

The "it's okay because I don't have anything to hide" attitude is naive, dangerous, and has resulted cumulatively in significant erosion of our ability to exercise our rights.

And for Kirk's benefit . . .

Kirk's First Law of the Internet:

"If it's the law in Texas, it must be the law everywhere."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know about you, but when I hear LEOs, lawyers, and some extremely experienced gun people tell me to keep my mouth shut, I'm inclined to listen to them.

Amen!

The stuff I have contributed to this topic is a result from being educated by our favorite British Barrister, the man who coined each and every one of Kirk's Laws of the Internet! He might as well be working the string in my back when you see my mouth move to talk. :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Do you also tell them you have a wallet in your right back pocket, $15.27 in your left front, and dark blue boxer shorts on under your jeans? I mean... if you're a law-abiding citizen, and the only thing you're doing is being there.....legally, then why not let them know, so you can be on your way?

If you are a law-abiding citizen, you carrying a firearm is as much their business as what color underwear you have on, how much money you have on you, and where you keep your wallet. LEOs should have absolutely zero jurisdiction over those of us who stay within the law. Note that this is not "cop-bashing". If an officer sees my gun and wants to separate me from it, I will reluctantly and under polite protest do so, locking it in my vehicle, stepping out of the car, and remaining a non-worrisome distance from the officer. If I am ordered to allow him/her to disarm me, I will politely request to do that myself as noted above, "for my safety" (it's almost impossible to remove a pistol from a seated person's holster without covering them with the barrel, and it IS impossible to do so without exposing the officer to risk, as I noted in another thread.)

"Why not tell them, if you have nothing to hide?" is the question often asked to this issue. To the contrary, I would ask, "If I've done nothing wrong (other than perhaps a traffic infraction), why are you asking?" The original question is designed to put the subject on the defensive and to convince him/her to comply to "prove" that s/he has nothing to hide-in short, to prove his/her innocence, despite the presumption of innocence that is a cornerstone of our justice system.

If asked, I will comply with the law and hand an officer my LTCH to be verified, but I have yet to have anyone show any way that my pistol being anywhere but in the holster where I keep it promotes officer safety or mine.

Blessings,
    B

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    BOR puts its well. I'm gonna give a shot at putting it another way. Next time your pulled over and the officer asks you if there is anything they should know about, where you were going, why your out so late, who is driving with you, will you wear this audio/video/location transmitting device forever, you will certainly answer yes because you have and will not do anything wrong and therefore have nothing to hide.

In short, my personal sovereignty is more important to me than a traffic ticket, 10 minutes longer at a traffic stop, officers convenience, etc. This is the genius of our country, I am free to maintain my sovereignty over myself by exercising my rights to their full extent and others are free to give them up upon request.

Good luck and stay safe.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    I will keep my concealed weapon just that. Concealed. Unless it is in view of the LEO or asked to step out of the vehicle, what he or she doesn`t know won`t hurt them.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Oh, man. Now I can't delete it!

once again, rhino didn't read what he typed before clicking send.

being patient and cooperative doesn't mean being overly so. i don't believe rhino is suggesting belligerence, but if there is no legal, moral or ethical reason to disclose, then don't. of course, 95% of the leo's i come in contact with are friends, friends of friends or students, so most of the "i've got a gun" information is understood.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I have to get in on this.

I see it this way regarding notification, it's up to you. If Indiana does not have a law regarding notification of a Peace Officer (That sounds cooler) than you don't have to. Whether you let him know or not, you are okay, as long as you don't have some warrant or other issue that would preclude you from carrying, don't worry about it.

As far as the Constable on Patrol asking for and temporarily confiscating your firearm, I really wouldn't have a problem with it. Let him, or her. I have nothing to hide and the PoPo would probably be inspecting my Kimber 1911 for coolness.

Now, if T.J. Hooker is going to be a dick about it, then, yeah, let him be a dick. He still has to give you your gun back.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I will keep my concealed weapon just that. Concealed. Unless it is in view of the LEO or asked to step out of the vehicle, what he or she doesn`t know won`t hurt them.
    +1

If asked to step out of the vehicle, there is a better than even chance that you may get patted-down just for officer safety. It'd be best for you, and a show of good faith not to surprise the officer with the heavy bulge on your hip.

PX4 Storm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've often surprised people with my heavy bulge... :) :)

+1
    If asked to step out of the vehicle, there is a better than even chance that you may get patted-down just for officer safety. It'd be best for you, and a show of good faith not to surprise the officer with the heavy bulge on your hip.

Top Bottom