• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    This topic could almost fit in Tactics and Training or Survival and Emergency Preparedness sub-forums, except that it is more strategic than tactical and more for everyday life than emergency.

All the recent talk about sophisticated camera, light, and alarm systems made me wonder if we are forgetting something much simpler that has worked for man for the past 11,000 years: A canine. You get the alarm, the deterrent, and possibly the added protection all in one package. :)

In the subject of home security, I would say that the most important value of dogs is the deterrence factor that they provide. This eliminates crimes of opportunity and a decent part of premeditated crimes.

Secondly, it is the alarm value. Whether a soon-to-be intruder is forcing his way in the house or quitely entering, you will know (most likely before the bad guy is even in the house). Likely, all the tumult will cause the intruder to flee, but if he is so determined as to be willing to fight your dog to get to you, your dog just bought you time to prepare to defend your family.

Thirdly, if you have a good dog, it could also add on to your protection "layers". An intruder's intentions would soon change if he is all of sudden wearing your dog on his body. Again, this buys you time to get ready and either defend your dog or if your dog is winning, enjoy the show. :):

I know, I know, dogs poop and need walking, while cameras and lights don't. I realize that not all lifestyles allow for owning a dog, but if yours does, it's something worth considering.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I wish my schedule wasn't as crazy as it is, I really would like to have a Mastiff.

Kilo the cat will have to do for now, although, she is a mean little sh!t, she offers no real protection nor warning.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Having watched people who thought this way on "It takes a theif" I will have to disagree. A good guard dog generally makes a crappy pet (see a junk yard dog for example). Ones that like people can be easily manipulated. Food, gentle voices, etc. can make a dog think the person is supposed to be there and not only will not bark, but will follow that intruder's commands. The show mentioned above has had this happen on many occasions. The home owners are always like "oh xxxxxx will make a ton of noise", etc. Never happens. The theif comes in, acts like he is supposed to be there (calm voice saying "here boy", etc.), leads the dog into a closet or small room and shuts the door. No more dog problems. A motion detector cannot be reasoned with or bribed and if installed properly is a PITA to defeat.

I am not against dogs. They are good pets, but I wouldn't trust my life and safety soley to one.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    epsylum, I agree, I would not trust my life solely to an animal. Mythbusters also tried bribing a guard dog. They tried about a dozen different methods, but only succeeded with two: copious amount of meat and urine of bitch in heat.

I think it depends largely on the breed, genetics, upbringing, and training of the dog. I'm sure my dog would be bribed with food as he has an immense food drive, but he would bark up a storm from when sees the perpetrator up to the point when the lure is presented. He's still young though. As he matures, I plan on training him to not accept food from strangers.

I think a good guard or protection dog can be a good pet, however. Mine loves biting people full and hard, but when he's at home, he's one of the most gentle dogs that you'll see with kids. Again, as with anything else, it boils down to training and proofing.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    our dog is a freak of nature.
    he barks and barks and barks (many false positives....)
    until someone comes onto our property, at which point he gets stone quiet.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    our dog is a freak of nature.
    he barks and barks and barks (many false positives....)
    until someone comes onto our property, at which point he gets stone quiet.

It does have the desired effect though... "Uh oh, George is quiet. Something must be wrong!"

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It does have the desired effect though... "Uh oh, George is quiet. Something must be wrong!"
    Oh how I LOVE it when people give dogs "people" names!!
    The neighbors will do a double take for "STEVE!!! Quit peeing on the car tires! I've told you TEN TIMES!!!"

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    W9ZEB and Pami, maybe he's upset that you named him George?

Crystalship1, great looking GSD, brother.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    W9ZEB and Pami, maybe he's upset that you named him George?

He's a very ungrateful dog then. He was named for George Washington, George M., and a hundred other solid American Georges. :) He's a Boston Terrier, the American Gentleman, so he needed an All-American Gentleman's name. :D

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    George of the Jungle,
    Curious George

both appropriate too.

and it's Boston Terrorist. There's nothing Gentleman about that little monster.....

heh........ A Boston terrorist named George invaded our house!
    someone call DHS

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I think our Lab Jax would carry the big screen out the door for a burglar, especially if they feed him meat and played ball with him!!!:rolleyesedit:

dmaguire1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    Indianapolis NE Side
    I have two dogs. One is an outside dog. (German Shepard) She doesnt care for anyone but us. I have another inside which is a black Lab. If anyone pulls into my driveway or cuts through my yard we will know.

My Shep patrols the entire 3 acres.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Meet Oscar the Alaskan Malamute:

(click for big)​

Now that he's lost his winter coat (as seen above) an unreasonable number of people seem to mistake him for a wolf. :rolleyesedit:​

And no, he's not allowed on that chair.​

Last edited:
    Top Bottom