jim-carrey-uh-oh.gif

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I am new and relatively inexperienced in the gun community. I have never heard of this debate; will someone be so kind as to enlighten me?

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    I don't carry guns with a manual safety.
    It adds an unnecessary extra step to a stressful situation.
    It is a mechanical device that can fail.
    For the same reason, this is why I stress carrying with an empty chamber is a bad idea.
    You can fumble and precious time is wasted.
    She is just going to have to get more comfortable with it over time.
    If that takes carrying a manual safety gun for a while, then so be it.
    Have her practice drawing with an unloaded gun and dry firing (or use snap caps).
    A good holster that covers the trigger is essential.
    A grip safety might help her get over the manual safety thing.
    The Springfield XDS has a grip safety.
    At least she is open to carrying.
    A lot of women aren't which is scary.
    I would think women need protection the most in this crazy world.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    My wife’s first gun was a S&W Shield 2.0. She purchased the one with the manual safety. She hates the gun itself and we are looking for something else.

Recently i purchased a gen 4 g26. She says she doesnt like it because it doesnt have a manual safety. Regardless of all i have told her about her being the ultimate safety and if you dont have extensive training with manual safeties it could cost you your life due to forgetting to disengage the safety she is still adamant about it.

How do i get her away from the idea that manual safeties make the gun safer? She is severely limiting herself by only wanting a gun with a manual safety.

We talked about passive safeties but she says they are not enough. Said something like what if someone comes up and snatches my gun. I laugh and was like honey its concealed. People are not gonna know.

I need to get her in some training classes so she can get more comfortable. She was raised without guns being in the picture and then she met me….

Anyone got any advice for me here?
    Gun fights only last a few seconds, there are NO winners, and the magnitude of your i juries and losses are often measured in milliseconds. Who cares if she doesn't want to Cary a gun without a manual safety. If she's sane, she doesn't want to carry a gun at all. None of us want to carry a gun for personal protection. It sucks, but it suck less than not being able to defend yourself or your family. Other than that, get training. Not instruction, but training.

CopperheadL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Usa
    I think you should let her carry what she is comfortable with. if she wants a manual safety, then have her train that, every draw she unlocks it and locks it back while holstering. Also just be glad she is carrying.

thewoods868

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2017
    Paoli
    My wife’s first gun was a S&W Shield 2.0. She purchased the one with the manual safety. She hates the gun itself and we are looking for something else.

Recently i purchased a gen 4 g26. She says she doesnt like it because it doesnt have a manual safety. Regardless of all i have told her about her being the ultimate safety and if you dont have extensive training with manual safeties it could cost you your life due to forgetting to disengage the safety she is still adamant about it.

How do i get her away from the idea that manual safeties make the gun safer? She is severely limiting herself by only wanting a gun with a manual safety.

We talked about passive safeties but she says they are not enough. Said something like what if someone comes up and snatches my gun. I laugh and was like honey its concealed. People are not gonna know.

I need to get her in some training classes so she can get more comfortable. She was raised without guns being in the picture and then she met me….

Anyone got any advice for me here?
    Definitely check out the p365. I have both and it’s all about knowing your gun. I too use to think my edc needed to have a manual safety. It all boils down to not touching the trigger until your ready to fire.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    …None of us want to carry a gun for personal protection. It sucks, but it suck less than not being able to defend yourself or your family.…
    Not really sure I would would fully agree with you?

I would exhaust all other options, avoiding the three S’s being around Stupid People, Doing Stupid things, Going to Stupid Places , Taser, a quality hand held light with appropriate lumens. Prior than breaking the emergency glass.

Sad reality right now things are more tense than ever in a lot of places, and some people are more prone to violent tendencies and outburst more than ever. Carrying every day is done by many people and it If it sucks one needs to look at your set up. I carry a 1911 and P365 daily under a variety of conditions and it does not suck.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    h4sNsDRh.jpg

Just something I find helpful , with a 1911 my thumb rides the safety like a shelf giving my another point of contact on the gun. With a thumbs forward grip my thumb naturally takes the safety off and the pistol is ready to fire.

That being said I am so used to taking the safety off 1911 I sweep the "safety" off of any gun when I draw regardless.
    A rail and light on a 1911? :faint:

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Not really sure I would would fully agree with you?

I would exhaust all other options, avoiding the three S’s being around Stupid People, Doing Stupid things, Going to Stupid Places , Taser, a quality hand held light with appropriate lumens. Prior than breaking the emergency glass.

Sad reality right now things are more tense than ever in a lot of places, and some people are more prone to violent tendencies and outburst more than ever. Carrying every day is done by many people and it If it sucks one needs to look at your set up. I carry a 1911 and P365 daily under a variety of conditions and it does not suck.
    Not really what I was trying to say. Having carried for over 2 decades now, I've gone through several different carry systems, and a few different handguns including a 1911. Having to spend all the time and money for each of those systems and then spend time and money training with them ultimatly because someone else may require me to oneday use the tool for its intended purpose instead of just having fun at the range, that's what sucks. Having to actually use the tool to stop a threat really sucks. Having to deal with the aftermath of such an experience really sucks. My Shield 45 and its accompanying ProTEQ IWB rig, those don't suck at all, not even a little.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Not really what I was trying to say. Having carried for over 2 decades now, I've gone through several different carry systems, and a few different handguns including a 1911. Having to spend all the time and money for each of those systems and then spend time and money training with them ultimatly because someone else may require me to oneday use the tool for its intended purpose instead of just having fun at the range, that's what sucks. Having to actually use the tool to stop a threat really sucks. Having to deal with the aftermath of such an experience really sucks. My Shield 45 and its accompanying ProTEQ IWB rig, those don't suck at all, not even a little.
    Ok thanks for the clarification. Yes having to uphold your sworn duty is a very solemn thing.

With regards to carry options I have two a 1911 and a bug P365. And you are correct there is a tremendous amount of time and expense to properly train. However that is not with out an immeasurable benefit.

Top Bottom