• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    so i can buy a draco then send it to a class 2 manufacturer to have a vertical foregrip put on it and it would only cost $5 and the cost of a vertical grip?? i am new to this so sorry for all the questions. Also how do i find a class 2 manufacturer in northern indiana?

Well, not really. If you can find a manufacturer they're going to want their part as well for doing this. They're well aware of the fact that it would cost you $200 to make it yourself, so you're probably going to pay right around that amount. It really depends on what you want. If it's just as simple as installing a VFG then you may find one that will make it for $20-50, but I'm not sure.

Additionally, does the manufacturer actually have to configure the weapon as an AOW? I would think not in the case of an AR lower, but a Draco?
    Yes, it has to be configured as such to be made and registered that way. A few years ago you used to be able to buy registered SBR AR lowers. It's not possible to have an SBR lower, because the definition of an SBR says it has to be a rifle with a barrel length less than 16 and/or an OAL less than 26. A lower is not a rifle, it is a bare frame/receiver and thus cannot be legally considered an SBR until it has been built into an SBR, so it can't legally be transferred as such.

That goes with all classifications. While you may be able to get away with it, it's not legal.

are they hard to find or something? i would really rather have it done locally if possible. If i have to ship it i may as well just pay the tax stamp and sbr it now instead of later.
    Well, they're not really hard to find, but it's hard to find one that is willing to do custom work. Most of them have set bounds that they work within, they mostly specialize in certain types of firearms. So it's hard to find one that will do what you want. So most often you will need to send it out of state.

One place you guys may want to check into is Bloomfield Arms & Ammo. Its the gunshop right on the square in Bloomfield. The owner is a manufacturer (not sure type/class) but he would probably be much more willing to do something like this because he is just a small shop. I've never really dealt with him other than BSing in the shop etc, but he seems like a pretty good guy. He can be intimidating at first because he is a hulk of a guy, I'm pretty sure he is a veteran, but he isn't too hard to get along with.

ETA, one more thing. If you find a shop, check with them on sending it directly back to you without a Form 3 transfer. Some shops probably aren't even aware that they can do that, and others may be aware but they just don't want to for some reason.

Last edited:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Well, not really. If you can find a manufacturer they're going to want their part as well for doing this. They're well aware of the fact that it would cost you $200 to make it yourself, so you're probably going to pay right around that amount. It really depends on what you want. If it's just as simple as installing a VFG then you may find one that will make it for $20-50, but I'm not sure.

Yes, it has to be configured as such to be made and registered that way. A few years ago you used to be able to buy registered SBR AR lowers. It's not possible to have an SBR lower, because the definition of an SBR says it has to be a rifle with a barrel length less than 16 and/or an OAL less than 26. A lower is not a rifle, it is a bare frame/receiver and thus cannot be legally considered an SBR until it has been built into an SBR, so it can't legally be transferred as such.

That goes with all classifications. While you may be able to get away with it, it's not legal.

Well, they're not really hard to find, but it's hard to find one that is willing to do custom work. Most of them have set bounds that they work within, they mostly specialize in certain types of firearms. So it's hard to find one that will do what you want. So most often you will need to send it out of state.

One place you guys may want to check into is Bloomfield Arms & Ammo. Its the gunshop right on the square in Bloomfield. The owner is a manufacturer (not sure type/class) but he would probably be much more willing to do something like this because he is just a small shop. I've never really dealt with him other than BSing in the shop etc, but he seems like a pretty good guy. He can be intimidating at first because he is a hulk of a guy, I'm pretty sure he is a veteran, but he isn't too hard to get along with.

ETA, one more thing. If you find a shop, check with them on sending it directly back to you without a Form 3 transfer. Some shops probably aren't even aware that they can do that, and others may be aware but they just don't want to for some reason.

i was going to just put a vertical foregrip on it for now and then sbr it later...sounds like it would just be easier to pay the tax stamp now and then do it all at once. Thanx for the information tho:ar15:

Top Bottom