Maple Tree Tapping for Sap for Syrup (Lots of Pictures)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you think of this Maple Tree Tap Project?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I get my stuff from:
    Anderson's Maple Syrup

If you are going to do it in any quantity greater than a few quarts, lines are the best way to go, it saves a ton of time hauling sap around.

Sap storage is a pain, what types of large containers do you have the lines going to? Can those blue plastic barrels be used?

I would like to have the evaporator closer to the trees and eliminate the hauling.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Sap storage is a pain, what types of large containers do you have the lines going to? Can those blue plastic barrels be used?

I would like to have the evaporator closer to the trees and eliminate the hauling.

I had a choice between having the evaporator down where the lines could easily gravity feed to it, but then I have to walk a couple hundred yards to feed the fire every hour or so, or having the evaporator up near the shop but then I have to pump or haul the sap. Thus far hauling and pumping has won out, but that may change next year.

I have a 400 gallon water container that I collected in last couple of years, it's on the north side of the ridge and I pile snow around it to help keep sap cooler during warmer days. I was then pumping from there to some 50 gallon barrels near my evaporator. Previously I'd had 50 gallon barrels at various collection points and used the tractor to move them around, that was a PITA. I did it again this year because I was going to be gone during much of the season and it's easier to just dump a 50 gallon container if it sours before I can boil it...

Next year though I think I am going to build a small sugar shack at the collection point and bite the bullet and just resign myself to walking more during the season. I'll be able to use larger wood though, so it should cut down on it some.

I like tapping my first set of taps in december, then I boil down on the woodstove slowly to add some humidity to the house.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This is awesome. How hard is this to get into?

Got sugar or red maples? Got a drill? Metal taps are a couple bucks each, plastic taps are about $.25@. In the late fall, early winter when the nights are below freezing and the days get above freezing, drill and tap. Hang a washed out milk jug, bleach bottle, etc on it. Boil sap down until it is sweet/thick enough for your tastes.

It's as simple as that. Generally speaking most people will get a pint or so of syrup per tap for the season. Don't overtap your trees or you will weaken them and make them prone to disease/insects.

Last edited:

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Results show... OMG this stuff is so GOOOOOOOOD and it was so easy! Boiled it to 221 degrees.

From the last 5 days of sap collection, 1 tap on 1 tree (and INGO advertisement to boot):

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I have been helping a friend collect sap for the past couple of weeks. We usually work up a crew of 8-10 to go out and collect the sap. We collect 800-1000 gallons at a time. He has an 800 gallon storage tank and a 200 gallon evaporator/cooker. After about five hours of heat, he can draw off 1.5 gallons of syrup every half hour. It started out as a hobby and it has turned into a church community project. So far, he has made 150 gallons of syrup.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thats awesome!!!!!!! So, what was your input to output ratio??? How long did you cook it down for? and how did you know you were done?

lastly, did you do it inside or outside?

thanks!
    clay

Results show... OMG this stuff is so GOOOOOOOOD and it was so easy! Boiled it to 221 degrees.

From the last 5 days of sap collection, 1 tap on 1 tree (and INGO advertisement to boot):

web.jpg

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Wetsu, and I plus another family have finished for this year. Results from our hillbilly cooker.

5525961907_83de01a4b5_z.jpg

5525963411_c967efe420_z.jpg

5525965325_b93bdcb4ae_z.jpg

Now we are cooking!

5525965741_0ea386b53e_z.jpg

5525966273_932d2c8144_z.jpg

One more pot to can and we are done.

5526559880_c44bfab6a2_z.jpg

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    We went out and collected another 700 gallons tonight. Maybe one or two more opportunities to collect before it gets too warm.

Top Bottom