• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VeteranUSN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Wabash Valley
    I have an interview with them here soon about a sheriffs deputy position. I have noticed that there are some police on the board and was wondering if they had any info I.e. what their job entails compared to impd or basically any info on the job and yes I know the basics do what a sheriffs deputy does just don't see many of them besides in county buildings

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Tax related stuff, jails and courts, warrants... The merger agreement meant the Marion County Sheriff wasn't supposed to cover the roads any more. I think there is an ongoing power struggle and the sheriff wants to write some traffic tickets still.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    MCSD has nothing but Special Deputies, no Merits. Not that there is a thing wrong with being a Special...certainly not. I am friends with MANY Special Deputies and they are fine LEO's. However, MCSO (MCSD) is responsible for prisoner transport, jail, warrants, sex offenders, and civil service. They lost their road patrol when we merged with IPD to form IMPD.

VeteranUSN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Wabash Valley
    Ok well I am ultimately trying to get on with IMPD. I thought it would look good to have this as experience but if they don't even attend and ILEA certified course am I just wasting my time?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    More than likely. IMPD runs it's own academy and hasn't hired laterally (accepting other academy training) in more than 10 years. That's not to say it won't happen but if the MCSD isn't going to get you through ILEA it is unlikely to make you more desirable to IMPD.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    The MCSD does have some kind of "school", not sure what its called.

(I work with someone who has a brother that works at the jail)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The MCSD does have some kind of "school", not sure what its called.

(I work with someone who has a brother that works at the jail)

They have their own academy using part of our academy building. It mimics ILEA academy standards but there is no certification at the end. So you are putting in the work as if you are getting police certified yet there is no certificate after finishing it. You will have to do it all over again if hired by a police department.

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I have an interview with them here soon about a sheriffs deputy position. I have noticed that there are some police on the board and was wondering if they had any info I.e. what their job entails compared to impd or basically any info on the job and yes I know the basics do what a sheriffs deputy does just don't see many of them besides in county buildings[/QUOTE

Unless you "know someone" at MCSO you will be working at either the Jail, Processing Center, or the City County Building. It can be a really fun experience at times. Getting on a shift where the people get along will make or break your experience.

As far as the academy goes, physically it is pretty demanding. The department shares IMPD's building and with that comes the crossfit gym.

A big problem the dept has is that the officers are given arrest powers, but never given a true FTO program. This leads to some problems if/when you are working part time as far as your general knowledge on making arrests etc.

kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My son recently left MCSD due to the work requirements of Jail Intake. He was just not enamored of the 12hr shifts (esp. 6pm to 6am), body cavity and fat-fold searches of 250#+ men, the revolving-door recidivists, some of whom knew him by name they were there so often. Neither did he like having bodily excretions thrown at him from time to time as he made his rounds. He now has an 8-4:30 job and is much more satisfied and able to spend quality time with his sons.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Denny and Phylo are correct on the MC academy not being certified and recognized through the LETB, however that does not preclude it from being a decent job. I have been with them for quite a while and have worked all positions. Some positions are definitely not glamorous, and it is difficult to get one of the really fun ones. In addition, being considered one of the red-headed step-children of Marion County law enforcement has it's distinct lack of appreciation, but it can still be a good job for someone with a good disposition. I'd recommend CCB security over the jail, but you'll make more at the jail.

Yes, if you go anywhere else in the state, save for a town marshal or reserve, you'll have to go through ILEA, IMPD or ISP academies. The biggest benefit is that if you are thinking of going anywhere out of state, states like Florida, Texas, Arizona and some others recognize our training and in some cases (Florida, if you have 60-80 college credit hours) you can hire laterally.

Top Bottom