• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I've recently moved to the area and am looking at making MCFG my new home range. However, I would really like to try it out once before I commit to buying a membership.

Would anyone who is a member be willing to take me some time? Also, any opinions on the range are very welcome.

Thanks! :ingo:

*edit* Got plans to check it out with Pudly. Thanks for all the offers!

Last edited:

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    As an option, have you considered attending a monthly meeting (June 5 is next) or a competition event such as Trap or Friday Night Steel to meet some members and get acquanted with the facility.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've recently moved to the area and am looking at making MCFG my new home range. However, I would really like to try it out once before I commit to buying a membership.

Would anyone who is a member be willing to take me some time? Also, any opinions on the range are very welcome.

Thanks! :ingo:

clelaj's suggestions are very good, however the monthly meetings may or may not be convenient for you. You do have to get to at least one meeting to sign up. I'd be happy to meet with you and show you around. My thoughts on the site:
    • Overall a very good shooting range. I've been a member for about 4 years.
    • It is an outdoor club which means that you have to deal with weather (although the main firing line is covered), but has far less noise and air issues than indoor ranges.
    • Because of its location, it is limited to pistol calibers and shotguns only. That is the biggest downside. No standard ARs, AKs, milsurp rifles, etc. Of course, you can use any rifles in .22lr or other pistol calibers.
    • Most of the time, it is easy to get right to the line. Even when there are shooting events, that usually only blocks off a portion of the range.
    • Two fairly recent changes, the addition of a number of steel targets and a change to the rules allowing draw-and-fire practice are welcome additions.
    • Being a private range means that you don't have nearly the same amount of stupidity that you find at some public ranges.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    If you want to "try it out", assume shoot on the range, the best option is attend one of the shooting events, open to the public. Friday Night Steel or Bowling Pins are recurring events.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Pudly, I've missed the new draw and fire rule. I looked on the website and couldn't find the rule book there (that's not saying much, though). Can you elaborate?

Thanks

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Here are the range rules, last updated Nov 13, 2014: MCFG Indy Range - Shooting Range Rules and Property Rules

14. Drawing From A Holster:
    a. Safely drawing from a holster and firing is allowed in the bays only.
    b. Drawing from a holster on the main firing line is not permitted.
    c. Safely drawing means that throughout the draw process, the muzzle is always pointed directly
    at the ground or into a berm.
    d. Only holsters that hold the firearm in such a manner that the muzzle is pointed at the ground
    within one meter of the shooters feet are permitted.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    My only complaint the one time I've shot there was that I was catching shrapnel from the bay next to us. Glad I had a hat on....:ingo:

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have also been interested in joining for a while now but never got around to attending a public event. Would love to come by and see the range and meet some people, but I'm not really looking to be part of a competition.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I have also been interested in joining for a while now but never got around to attending a public event. Would love to come by and see the range and meet some people, but I'm not really looking to be part of a competition.

You could take a class out there...:dunno:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Well I have never taken any official training course before, so I guess I would have to start with the NRA basic pistol course?

It wouldn't be a bad choice. That's what I took out there. This one was actually the 2nd NRA basic pistol class I've taken but with different instructor's. And I learned something from each class.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Well I could definitely use some improvement on my pistol accuracy. Ill have see if i'm available to go to the one on June 27th.

Train to be Safe? Good choice. I used to work with Joe and both he and Chris are excellent instructors. I took my last class through them. Money well spent :rockwoot:

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I have been a member for many years, and find everyone polite. Never was 'too crowded'. Always something planned for future improvements. I go and shoot, and often get a chance to just talk guns with gun guys.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy

Don't be intimidated in any way. The local "competition" is friendly shooting, where everybody is there to enjoy shooting, camaraderie, and they happen to keep score. Bowling pins is the most relaxed, and Friday Night Steel is slightly more structured. I've never shot at trap, but my brother received a friendly introduction to their fold. Skill level is kind of a bell curve, with some beginners, a lot of average shooters, and a few really skilled folks to learn from.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I might have to look into membership as well. Do they by chance have anything for archery as well? Looking for a place to take my girlfriend's daughter.

Top Bottom