• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Personally, I'm against legislative term limits. The voters can impose whatever term limits we want.

That is true in a world where we get a choice. But we don't. The incumbents have so much political capital, as well as the backing of the party in almost all cases that they never get a serious primary challenge. So we get Stromm for 187 years. And even if the opposition party puts up a good candidate, it doesn't matter because the district is heavily stacked for the incumbent's party. Then toss in some gerrymandering for insurance.

Relying upon the electorate to impose de facto term limits is unrealistic in our system, unless the particular district is evenly split between the parties.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That is true in a world where we get a choice. But we don't. The incumbents have so much political capital, as well as the backing of the party in almost all cases that they never get a serious primary challenge. So we get Stromm for 187 years. And even if the opposition party puts up a good candidate, it doesn't matter because the district is heavily stacked for the incumbent's party. Then toss in some gerrymandering for insurance.

Relying upon the electorate to impose de facto term limits is unrealistic in our system, unless the particular district is evenly split between the parties.

I disagree (respectfully).

Incumbents have political capital when the electorate gives it to them. Lugar was beat at what was arguably his political zenith. With the diffusion of information via the internet, the primaries are becoming more and more contested. (Which, to turn my argument around, is probably contributing to the social tribalism.)

Gerrymandering can't impact the Senate or presidential elections. Unless certain rivers DRAMATICALLY change course. ;)

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I cant see one good argument that says we SHOULDNT have term limits. How in the world is it a good idea to allow a person to have power their entire lives? Thats the entire point of the constitution, TO LIMIT GOVT POWER. With the kind of thinking of no term limits, then there shouldnt be amendments, we should just vote each year on gun possession. Right? Once you lose them, you'll never get them back, EVER. Once they all get there, they NEVER even come close to putting term limits on themselves. Term limits have no many other benefits as well. thats another convo, but to say you arent in favor of a politician having limits on their power.....well that makes zero sense. Put it on the electorate to vote someone else in right? Cuz no one ever cheats, everyone accepts the winner............................................

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So, I'm guessing since Mr Hurt was not on tonight's IN primary debate he didn't raise the sigs necessary to get on the ballot. Game over.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All I want is a true constitutional conservative who will stand firm and not be bought

Well. I only know of one person who knows where to find such a person.

Churchmouse? Do you have the contact information for that Unicorn from the photo? Can you maybe dial him (her?) up and check if interested in running for public office?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Personally, I'm against legislative term limits. The voters can impose whatever term limits we want.

The problem with that is you don't get to vote against Schumer, Pelosi, etc. Look at Mike Madigan-Dem in Illinois. Except for one blip, he has been majority speaker since 1983. He is corrupt and gets away with it. His daughter was Illinois AG for the past several years. Don't think she will prosecute Dad. His district in on the southwest side of Chicago, heavily populated by union workers and/or govt. employees.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The problem with that is you don't get to vote against Schumer, Pelosi, etc. Look at Mike Madigan-Dem in Illinois. Except for one blip, he has been majority speaker since 1983. He is corrupt and gets away with it. His daughter was Illinois AG for the past several years. Don't think she will prosecute Dad. His district in on the southwest side of Chicago, heavily populated by union workers and/or govt. employees.

Yeah, and I don't want Chicago voting for Braun/Rokita/Messe/Donnelly. Well, you know what I mean. :)

People like Shumer and Pelosi are elected because the, for the most part, actually reflect what a majority of voters in their district/state want to see in a legislator. Yes, it sucks, but that's how the system was set up.

Well, not really.

For senators, it was set up differently.

And we should totally go back to that.

It wasn't term limits, but it was a more effective limiter than what we have now.

Top Bottom