• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I have a 2 year old Ruger mark III hunter that has been flawless in the past. I went to the range Sunday and the gun would not feed after the first shot.
    I decided to check it out later at home. Tonight I found the problem. The breech face has been hit and damaged by the firing pin and I can get a round chambered due to the damage.
    The bolt has the stop pin in it and all is intact. I have dry fired it but I use dry wall anchors to protect the breech and if you go Rugers site in the q and a section it says you can dry fire this weapon.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a reasonably priced fix to it?

It has had a VQ trigger kit installed last summer and have shot guessing 1000 rds since the install.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Bruce

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Ruger MKIII

From what you have described, I believe that Ruger will repair your MK.
    Check your owners manual, or Ruger web site for the #,+ call them after the first of the year...Bill.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Got a photo of the damage? I probably dry fired my MKIII more than 1000 rounds and put 1000-2000 rounds through the gun. I didn't see any breach face damage, but I did break the firing pin retaining pin and had to replace it with a spring steel roll pin.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    Damage

Let me see if I can add a picture. I like the responses so far. It sounds like I have not ruined it completely. I failed to add the picture. If someone emails me I think I will be able to add the picture to the email.

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Find somebody with a chamber iron.
    $22 plus shipping.

.22 CHAMBER IRONING TOOL | Brownells
    As noted, check your firing pin stop, uh, pin. Can get pretty good results with an automatic center punch from Harbor Freight or other hardware stores. Set the tension to very light strikes. Use the tapered portion, not the sharp part. Go easy and check results often. May not work on Ruger Marks because of the ejector being in the way.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Just a important note if you decide to send it back to Ruger to be repaired, it will NOT be returned with your upgraded parts! They will replace them with factory parts when returned.

Make sure to put in your factory parts and put your VQ stuff away until you get the gun back.

Top Bottom