• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    Anyone have one of these? I'm thinking about picking one up... any reason I should stay away? Or pick another model?

Thanks!

zoom_1895sbl.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There have been lots of problems with them. The demand was high and the quality was low. Poor fit and finish, and barrels canted or drooping down.

With the price they were asking for them they should have been 100%. Remingtons take over had the quality of the build down. They are also no longer in production at this time.

It is said that they will come back in the future but at this time Marlin er cerberus is only making the 336W and 336cs for the big box store like wall mart and big 5. Those are the cheapest one to make with a high profit margin, Here is a pic of the post cerberus take over of marlin I found on the boxes only. Guess which one was post take over.
    MarlinBoxes.jpg

I have a feeeling it is easier and cheaper to higher a couple of customer service people to feild phone calls than to have a QC person good with lever actions look at the product before shipping. This is why the product line has stopped production.

That was the negitive. I am a big fan of levers and the stainless and grey lam combo. They (Old marlin) looked at the custom market (DRC Wild West and Grizzly customs) and created a semi custom using the XS sights and copied the DRC lever. I will admit they are sweet looking guns and I own one (sort of only 44 mag)
    DSC03067.jpg

I set this one up just like I wanted and it is a quality product.

If you do get one check it out closely. If one gets shipped in to you from whatever may be in the distribution chain (with the demand I seem to think that would be few) I would make sure you have a right of refusal. Marlin will make it correct eventually but it may take a few trips to cerberus to get it right.

It does almost pain me to write this. I am not bashing marlin, I just want to inform you of what has happened to them since the take over.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    look at this video. the marlin SDT trapper 45-70.

I had to sell my 30-30 version. They were quality guns built by the real marlin post buyout but pre Illion new york. . They are more like my 44 mag rifle.

I recommend this over the SBL. they were a davisons exclusive.

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    Well, this certainly took an unexpected turn... I had no clue the SBL was junk... I almost ordered one yesterday!!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I am not saying the are junk. I am saying they had problems. I think the move to Illion New york and the high demand for the SBL made them push them out the door before they got a good idea of what they were doing. There were a few of the SBL's made in new haven but very few.

Also my video did not show up.
    Let me try again.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq5G2CB8kdg[/ame]

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    Well, I've never seen an STP for sale.. What about the XLR?

So, I'm sorry if I'm being a bit pedantic, but I don't know enough about these guns. You're saying if it was made in New Haven, it may have a higher build quality?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    XLR's are no longer made. They went away with marlin before cerberus. They were moving them out a year ago. (Dicks and BIG 5 and cabalas stores bought them all up) I think you might be able to find one still NIB. They 444 marlin and 450 marlin are no longer in production at all so if you find one of those you may have a future gem. They were built well but had those long barrels.

The 308 MMX and 338 MMX rounds are still around most likely marlin had a contract with hornaday.

SDT are 1000 or higher as they only made 500 of them in 45-70 500 in 30-30 and 351 in 35 rem.

The SBL's are going to cost around 1000. TO me they are to expensive

The XLR are about 700. The long 24 inch barrel is not a all around lever like the shorter guide and S series guns. If you wanted to they are easy to chop down the barrel on.

A good old guide gun on the used market in stainless 500 or so if the guy does not like the porting. Add 90 for the stock set and 129 for the lever and you rolled your own SBL. Well you need the XS rail also. 80 dollars. So about 800 or under. The laminite grey stock looks good on a blued rifle also.

They made lots more XLR's than the SBL OR SDt's I think the rifle above video is a SDT (Stainless davidson's trapper) not an STP. I think it is a mistake on hickok45's part. Mine just like it was an SDT in 30-30.

I take it you like the laminate stock, and the stainless reciever, there is a laminate black SBL like stock on gunbroker for 89 dollars, a SBL lever for 129, you could kinda rool your own 1895 SBL. I bet the stock for sale is an ill fititing one that marlin sent out a replacement for. Just a thought of mine.

The XLR's were 24 inch long barrels to gain the most possible out of the older rounds (leverevolution stuff also) and the new 308mmx and 338 mmx.

You noorthern Indiana boys have a cabelas. They are a davidsons retailer and gold buyer. I got my SDT 30-30 from them on the west coast and shipped it in to state. My marlin 1894 stainless limited came out of cabelas in WISC. and shipped in to local gun pusher. Special runs like these are normally a gold reseller allocated item so your local dealer can't get one until all the big box places get ahold of them first.

Would I buy a SBL personally. No . Do i really like the SBL. Yes. My thoughts were there were lots of problems with them for 1000 dollars. I can put up with some problems on a 400 dollar 336 wall mart special. For 1000 I had better get about the best lever gun available outside of a custom shop piece.

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    You can pick up an SBL for around $800... even on GunBroker.... I might look into picking up an older Stainless Guide Gun... that seems like a decent idea.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There is one easy way to tell if the item is a marlin made in new haven/north haven CT. It will have a JM in a circle at the left the reciever. Lots of the new york made barrels will still be stamped Marlin CT. The atf gave a waiver to do so until the stock cleared out.

The remlins will have a rep on the barrel. The proof mark is the final say on where it was made.

When cerberus move the plant to new york It decieded that the employees were not needed so they offered none of them a chance to move along with the plant. They also had newbies assemble the guns in like 200 seconds to make quota on the line. As such the quality of the guns was not what it had been. I do believe that remlins were made with what the old marlin would have called seconds on stocks and just placed these of the firearms and moved them out. (I am sure of this on the 1894's the wood was either short of the reciever by about a 1/4 inch or the were swelled up about 1/8 of an in on each side of the reciever) Illion new york had never made a single lever gun so none of them were real good at it. In october of last year they stopped all production of lever action rifles until they could get things sorted out. I think they have made the 336W and 336 Cs since then. They are the ones at wal mart/big 5 and dicks. New remlins will also have have the acid eached serial numbers not the stamped ones.

I hope the new ones that come along will be of quality that marlin was know for and still be affordable to the average working joe the plumber.

As to the remington marlins. I would take a snap cap with you and see if it cycles, be very carefull on fit finish and quality of machining on the internal parts.Also and imprefection of the barrel to receiver. The barrel drop or cant.

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    Thanks for the education here on Marlin. I certainly appreciate it.

So, would you say if I do find a New Haven made 1895... would chances be that it is of decent quality?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yes..good till 2008 .. I would pay extra for a JM stamp on the barrel or wait until we see what happens to new ones out of new york.

Used JM stamped marlins in the future might just be like pre 64 winchesters in how they are precieved in the market.

There are tons of good used marlins in the market. Tons sold many saw little hunting and lots of closet time. With 1895's you may find a marlin and half of a box of ammo with no other rounds fired in it (hot 405 grain loads pack more than a gentel push to the shoulder) . I know of two in my collection purchased that way. Hunted one season, got cold, saw no deer and ended hunting career with a 336 in the bedroom closet. My favorties are the ones from the 1970's and the 1980's. JM stamped, non marshield finish (makes the low quality walnut look like plastic wood) and pre safety. Here is one special to me one from I believe 1958 what they call a perch belly forearm, a peep sight worth about what I paid for the rifle and a very strange (Even for marlin) microgroove barrel with 20 grooves inside a 35 rem barrel.It is also a sporting carbine with 2/3 mag tube.
    Picture025-1.jpg

the 1980s ones look finishwise more like this mountie from 1982. (this is one of the few years marlin made no gold trigger on the mountie)
    DSCN0530.jpg

If you see a new york marlin in person and know lots about marlins or lever actions it could be a good guns still. I mean that is one bad thing about the internet. 8 of ten marlins new are most likely fine right out of the factory it is the 2 bad ones we all here of.

Cabelas up north should let you handle the new ones. The old ones are in every pawn shop and gun shop around. Might check out tenn and Kentucky as they are deer legal in those states and lots of them are around in the used arena.

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    Too bad you're so far away as it seems you know a lot about these guns. My LGS happens to have a 1895 GBL that looks pretty decent. But I have no clue what to look for. All the gaps seem even, nothing looks out of place. The action seems fairly smooth... didn't dry fire it though. I might look for someone up near South Bend that knows something about 1895s... see if they would mind giving it a once over.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Once upon a time I bought a regular 1895 in 45/70. I never got anything better than 2" groups no matter what I tried and I just couldn't live with that. I sold it. Later I still wanted a 45/70 and didn't want to give up on the idea of such a cannon. I bought a guide gun and had the same experience with the accuracy and sold it. Ever since the SBL came out I have been a big fan since it has everything a great short range hunting rifle could have. Great sights, weather resistant, solid scope mount and short overall length. If the gun was quality, then I'd say it worth the big bucks, but with all the quality control problems marking has been plagued with I'm just afraid that they just aren't on my to-buy list.

kmartin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Agree with above, you want the JM proof on the left side of the barrel, not the REP proof on the right.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If we can find a time and you want to give one a try, I have a 1895MXLR (stainless full-length .450 Marlin w/ XS rail) that I need to get sighted in. I normally shoot over at SJCRC, so range is limited to 100yds.

Top Bottom