• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    This is a new to me 1895G in 45/70. I hope to shoot it Friday and am looking forward to doing so. I have shot 45/70 in a Contender with a 14" barrel and a C Sharps but this is the first 45/70 that I can call mine. According to the serial # it was made in 2001.

Attachments

• Marlin 1895-1.jpg
      Marlin 1895-1.jpg
      509.7 KB · Views: 35
    • Marlin 1895-2.jpg
      Marlin 1895-2.jpg
      389 KB · Views: 20

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I Have a 1895 GS built the same year. Very accurate rifle. If you don't already do so, I highly recommend reloading for it. Mild to wild, the 45-70 can do it all.

And if you hunt, the cases can be cut back to 1.8" and you have a legal deer hunting round. If that interests you there are several people on this site (myself included) that can help with that. Just ask.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Great catch
    Just looking at the photos, it looks to be in nearly perfect condition.
    The walnut on the butt stock is particularly nice, with some gorgeous figure toward the pad.
    Lucky dog

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    The wood is really nice and it is in pristine condition. I have a friend who reloads has already started on some IN legal hunting rounds for me. He will have some there on Friday. I am thinking about a scope for it but I have the XS sights on my 1894SS and really like them so I'll probably just keep the those.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Even cooler that you'll be taking that little beauty into the woods for deer.
    It'll be decisive, especially with the right bullet.
    Just a recommendation here, but may be you could have some of the loads your friend is assembling for you with the Hornady FTX bullets.
    Those are the same bullets that Hornady loads in their LeveRevolution factory ammo, and they're terrific for extending your range.
    All three of the deer I've taken with my own Marlin 1894 .45 Colt were shot with my handloads using the .225 grain bullet, each requiring only one shot.
    Again, great score getting that Marlin.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    458 caliber lever guns are a blast, I own 2 now. A Browning 71 rebarreled for the potent 450 Alaskan and a Marlin 1881 built in 1888 in 45/70. The Browning is the real bruiser launching a 500 grain cast gas check at about 2000fps while I will be loading a basic trapdoor load of a 350 cast backed with 13.5 grains of Trail Boss for the 1881, should give me about 1050fps for a fun plinking load.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am having a bit of a lever renaissance lately. Just added XS peep sights, scout rail and a Burris LER 2.75X scope to an 1894 in .357. I plan to shoot it this weekend but it feels pretty good. I may end up having an inch or so taken off the stock for a more perfect union of shooter and rifle.

Also finally got to the range with my .30-30 CAR or Cowboy Assault Rifle. A shortened 336 with a 16.5" soon to be threaded barrel, Skinner tactical sights and Teflon green Birdsong refinish. Also plan on adding a scout rail with a low profile red dot and probably will paint the stock with bed liner.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Very nice looking weapon there.:yesway:

I have a 1895CB that I put Guide Gun furniture on for the recoil pad and sling mounts. Good luck with it in the field.

Medic2464

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2015
    Greenwood
    Just wondering....can you cut a 30/30 case back to 1.8'' and have a legal deer rifle? I've heard the 45-70 strategy mentioned several times but never the 30-30. I ask because it seems that the Marlin 336 is a little cheaper and has a great reputation as a deer gun (in other states of course). I dont reload and am thinking about getting a lever gun. The 45-70 might be a little too much gun for me to shoot a lot of rounds through at the range. Anyway...I would appreciate any thoughts or advise you all might have

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    Medic2464 I've never heard of cutting down a 30-30 to make it legal in Indiana. I also have a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. and I love that gun. It of course is already legal for deer in IN. I would love to use my old Winchester 94 30-30 for deer but until then it will be the 44 Mag, the 1895, or my 336 in 35 Rem. with loads cut down to IN specs.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Reload if you don't already, cast bullets if you don't already. The 45-70 is an excellent cartridge for both.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    Just wondering....can you cut a 30/30 case back to 1.8'' and have a legal deer rifle? I've heard the 45-70 strategy mentioned several times but never the 30-30. I ask because it seems that the Marlin 336 is a little cheaper and has a great reputation as a deer gun (in other states of course). I dont reload and am thinking about getting a lever gun. The 45-70 might be a little too much gun for me to shoot a lot of rounds through at the range. Anyway...I would appreciate any thoughts or advise you all might have

Indiana requires a .35 caliber bullet or larger, you can cut back a .35rem but not a 30-30 for use in rifles.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Nice rifle! I had a 2006 336 in .30-30 but ended up getting rid of it because I thought that the 1894c .357 magnum that I bought would be better. The 1894c was a new model Marlington and ended up being terrible... It wouldn't even chamber .357 mag. Never even got to shoot it. Had it sent back to Marlin.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Nice rifle! I had a 2006 336 in .30-30 but ended up getting rid of it because I thought that the 1894c .357 magnum that I bought would be better. The 1894c was a new model Marlington and ended up being terrible... It wouldn't even chamber .357 mag. Never even got to shoot it. Had it sent back to Marlin.

From what I've been able to learn, the post-buyout Marlin guns were a real crap shoot quality wise because they were made on equipment that was in poor condition before Remington could retool and relocate the manufacturing.
    My own Marlin 1894 with "REP" stamped clearly on the barrel was made in 2012 and the quality is still good with it.
    I've seen lots of reports about Marlins made in the last year or two that indicate that Remington has gotten the quality acceptable again.
    Only a hands on with the current manufacture guns will really tell the tale, but I wouldn't be quite so quick to write Marlin off altogether.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    Good catch whiteoak you are absolutely correct. Hopefully this will change and we'll be able to use some of the "classic" calibers in the future. As for Marlin quality, the new rifles that I've seen recently have been well made. Fit and finish were good and the folks who owned and shot them say they function well. I've never used Marlin Customer Service but I understand they are good and will make any issue right.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    From what I've been able to learn, the post-buyout Marlin guns were a real crap shoot quality wise because they were made on equipment that was in poor condition before Remington could retool and relocate the manufacturing.
    My own Marlin 1894 with "REP" stamped clearly on the barrel was made in 2012 and the quality is still good with it.
    I've seen lots of reports about Marlins made in the last year or two that indicate that Remington has gotten the quality acceptable again.
    Only a hands on with the current manufacture guns will really tell the tale, but I wouldn't be quite so quick to write Marlin off altogether.

I was at Cabelas over the weekend and looked at a new Marlin lever gun and it seemed to be much better quality than the .357 I had. I've been told the quality has come back in the past year to year and a half. I bought the 1894 about a year and a half ago. And I just couldn't believe how bad the quality was. I was expecting it to be slightly rough being a Marlington, but not nearly as bad as it was.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I think im gonna buy the Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. Thanks for all the advise.

Should be a great gun, particularly for deer.
    Here's mine, this one in .45 Colt.
    Notice that it's one of the uncommon and now discontinued (available only through Cabela's for a few years) round barrel versions in that caliber.

DSCF0591.jpg

Top Bottom