• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    Hey all. I’m just wondering if any of you lever action folks could school me on my Marlin 3080?

I’m not a huge lever gun guy, but I have owned a 336 in the past, and this thing sure looks like a 336!

Just wondering if anyone in the know, can maybe throw a little info my way. You know... history, parts compatibility and value? I got this rifle from another INGO member some time ago, and haven’t done anything with it. I think it’s time to set it free!

I did a search, and don’t see anything on the forum related to a Marlin 3080.

Anywho, thanks in advance for any information!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Have you tried the Marlin owners forum? They would be able to tell you about your rifle. I personally have never heard of a Marlin 3080? However I am by no means a expert.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    Have you tried the Marlin owners forum? They would be able to tell you about your rifle. I personally have never heard of a Marlin 3080? However I am by no means a expert.
    No, I haven’t tried the Marlin owners forum.

I’m no lever gun expert either. I know just enough to get by!

Hopefully, one of the lever folks chimes in!

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    Do you have a photo to help identify? It seems 3080 may not be the model number but I'll also admit knowing very little.
    I do have a pic. It’s definitely a model 3080. There is no other model number marked anywhere else on it.

Like I mentioned, it looks exactly like a 336 to me.
    DEE1C005-0CC1-43FA-8EB6-AD94A02B24D1.jpeg

Last edited:

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    A trip to gunvaluesboard told me it's basically a Model 30. I guess marlin made a lot of commemorative rifles, so that factor doesn't really increase the value. Given what I was seeing for other Marlins before the price jump you're looking at $600-750 but I'll happily defer to any experts worth more info.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    A trip to gunvaluesboard told me it's basically a Model 30. I guess marlin made a lot of commemorative rifles, so that factor doesn't really increase the value. Given what I was seeing for other Marlins before the price jump you're looking at $600-750 but I'll happily defer to any experts worth more info.
    Fair enough. So I’m assuming that the model 30 is a version of the 336?

I’ll do a little more research on it when I get up for work tonight.

Thanks for the input!

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    It sounds like model 30 is NOT the same as 336, and is tied to Glenfield. The wood is birch instead of walnut and the checkering is pressed instead of cut. However, it's still a JM and seems to be a decent entry level rifle similar to a Sears or Montgomery Ward offering.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Hey all. I’m just wondering if any of you lever action folks could school me on my Marlin 3080?

I’m not a huge lever gun guy, but I have owned a 336 in the past, and this thing sure looks like a 336!

Just wondering if anyone in the know, can maybe throw a little info my way. You know... history, parts compatibility and value? I got this rifle from another INGO member some time ago, and haven’t done anything with it. I think it’s time to set it free!

I did a search, and don’t see anything on the forum related to a Marlin 3080.

Anywho, thanks in advance for any information!
    I took the liberty of asking about your rifle on the Marlin Owners Forum of which I am a member as it peaks my curiosity as well. Here is what info I received.

"More than likely produced for OTASCO, not to worry it is still a honest to goodness JM Marlin, Commonly known better as Glenfield Model 30A."

Hope this helps.?The guys on the Marlin site are hard core collectors and really know their stuff. Some are even previous Marlin employees. So yes...they would know.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Nothing wrong with a Glenfield. I have a Glenfield Model 25 bolt action .22 in .22lr...it's a great little rifle. Build quality is on par with my "real" Marlins, and there's a JM stamp on the barrel. From the limited bit shown by your photo, your gun looks to be in pretty good shape. The 336 is a great rifle, so I'm sure yours will be no different.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    It sounds like model 30 is NOT the same as 336, and is tied to Glenfield. The wood is birch instead of walnut and the checkering is pressed instead of cut. However, it's still a JM and seems to be a decent entry level rifle similar to a Sears or Montgomery Ward offering.
    Yeah, what I meant by basically a 336, is form, function, parts etc...

Thanks for the info!

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    I took the liberty of asking about your rifle on the Marlin Owners Forum of which I am a member as it peaks my curiosity as well. Here is what info I received.

"More than likely produced for OTASCO, not to worry it is still a honest to goodness JM Marlin, Commonly known better as Glenfield Model 30A."

Hope this helps.?The guys on the Marlin site are hard core collectors and really know their stuff. Some are even previous Marlin employees. So yes...they would know.
    Thank you for doing that! I’m not a member of that forum. That helps greatly!

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    Nothing wrong with a Glenfield. I have a Glenfield Model 25 bolt action .22 in .22lr...it's a great little rifle. Build quality is on par with my "real" Marlins, and there's a JM stamp on the barrel. From the limited bit shown by your photo, your gun looks to be in pretty good shape. The 336 is a great rifle, so I'm sure yours will be no different.
    Right on. Yeah, it’s JM stamped, and it’s really clean. I’ll post some pics when I get home in the morning.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Thank you for doing that! I’m not a member of that forum. That helps greatly!

You are very welcome. Glad to do it.Like I said, you "peaked" my curiosity as well.I am a bit of a Marlin geek. Wish I knew as much as the guys on the Marlin Collectors/owners forum, but I am learning.Not telling you what to do, but I suggest you never,ever re-finish or modify your rifle in any way. Remember they do not, and will not make them anymore. By all means though, shoot it and enjoy it. Best Regards.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    You are very welcome. Glad to do it.Like I said, you "peaked" my curiosity as well.I am a bit of a Marlin geek. Wish I knew as much as the guys on the Marlin Collectors/owners forum, but I am learning.Not telling you what to do, but I suggest you never,ever re-finish or modify your rifle in any way. Remember they do not, and will not make them anymore. By all means though, shoot it and enjoy it. Best Regards.
    No... I know better than to refinish it! Fortunately, it’s in no need of that anyways. It is very clean. No rust or pitting anywhere. Even the stock only has a couple of very small blemishes.

I collect .22 rifles primarily. I like the older stuff mostly, and like a little “character” in my rifles personally!

I do have a few .22 lever guns, but this is my last larger caliber example. I’m most likely going to try to find it a new home. I’m sure there’s someone who would like to have it!

You folks have helped me out. I appreciate that! If I do post it for sale or trade, at least I have some info on it! I’ll do some more digging on it, so I can get a better idea of it’s value. I don’t want to put a dumb price on it... in either direction!

I’ll post a few pics in the morning. Thanks again!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

If you have not done so already? You might check under that leather ammo sleeve because from what I have been told and seen on another like yours from Marlin owners. There MAY be a medallion inset in the wood of the rifles butt-stock?

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    If you have not done so already? You might check under that leather ammo sleeve because from what I have been told and seen on another like yours from Marlin owners. There MAY be a medallion inset in the wood of the rifles butt-stock?
    I have not. Next time I take it out of the safe, I’ll check.

Top Bottom