• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I have my eye on a Marlin 336 30/30 that I really want to buy. The problem is I can't justify the need for a 30/30. I already have a lever action rifle in .357 to hunt with that matches my chosen handgun caliber. I can't hunt deer in Indiana with a 30/30. I have a 12 ga Remington for HD and hunting. I can target shoot with my lever action .357 using .38 Special a lot cheaper than I can shoot with .30 caliber ammo. I can also shoot with my Ruger 10/22 even cheaper than that. Therefore, I don't need the 30/30, but I still want it.

What are the advantages of a lever action 30/30 that would cause me to need one?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I really can't see any for practical purposes, unless it is approved for a hunting caliber. But a 30-30 level gun is fun. If we all purchased only the guns we needed, we would have few guns.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Other than the pistol cal's and the surplus cal's the 30-30 is amoung the least expensive round to shoot.

Nothing like a pre safety marlin 336. Now if you really want to get a good old one look for what they call a waffletop in 30-30 or 35 rem in what would be called the 336 SC line as in sporting carbine. They won't make anymore and if you look hard enough one will find you for the price of a new 336 with the QC issues.

He is a peek, Notice the 2/3 mag tube and the big perch belly forearm.

Picture025-1.jpg

Picture028-1.jpg

Picture029-1.jpg

Take your time looking and one will find you sooner or later.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I really can't see any for practical purposes, unless it is approved for a hunting caliber. But a 30-30 level gun is fun. If we all purchased only the guns we needed, we would have few guns.
    Indeed. Need in this industry is based on what one deems as the "most likely scenario" which they will use their guns. So, do you NEED that AR15? Probably not. Most purchases in the gun community are indeed WANT more than a true NEED. If you want it, get it. It's YOUR hard earned money do what YOU want with it. Shouldnt have to worry about quantifying it to anyone else. You only live once.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Other than the pistol cal's and the surplus cal's the 30-30 is amoung the least expensive round to shoot.

Nothing like a pre safety marlin 336. Now if you really want to get a good old one look for what they call a waffletop in 30-30 or 35 rem in what would be called the 336 SC line as in sporting carbine. They won't make anymore and if you look hard enough one will find you for the price of a new 336 with the QC issues.

He is a peek, Notice the 2/3 mag tube and the big perch belly forearm.

Picture025-1.jpg

Picture028-1.jpg

Picture029-1.jpg

Take your time looking and one will find you sooner or later.

This is making me want a 30/30 even more!!!!

:D

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Indeed. Need in this industry is based on what one deems as the "most likely scenario" which they will use their guns. So, do you NEED that AR15? Probably not. Most purchases in the gun community are indeed WANT more than a true NEED. If you want it, get it. It's YOUR hard earned money do what YOU want with it. Shouldnt have to worry about quantifying it to anyone else. You only live once.

You must not be married :D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Justin Case,

I see them for sale all the time, I can pre screen a few for you. Save up a bit and you can find a nice one still. There are tons of them around. PM me when you are ready.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I've thought about one of these in .35 caliber. The case be slightly shortened and be legal for deer in Indiana. Some who have done this say that there is no feeding problem.

Just something about a lever gun!

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    336W--My experiences...

I have my eye on a Marlin 336 30/30 that I really want to buy. The problem is I can't justify the need for a 30/30. I already have a lever action rifle in .357 to hunt with that matches my chosen handgun caliber. I can't hunt deer in Indiana with a 30/30. I have a 12 ga Remington for HD and hunting. I can target shoot with my lever action .357 using .38 Special a lot cheaper than I can shoot with .30 caliber ammo. I can also shoot with my Ruger 10/22 even cheaper than that. Therefore, I don't need the 30/30, but I still want it.

What are the advantages of a lever action 30/30 that would cause me to need one?

I have a Marlin 336W, .30-30, I bought in late April of this year. It was on sale at MC Sports in Bloomington. I looked it over, asked several questions about it, and walked out the door later with it in a box.

Why? I've been to the range a few time with it, and the only word I can think of that describes shooting one comes from my daughter: Sa-Weet!
    I had a nice scope put on it and have loved every shot I've fired with it.

Like the old Alka-Seltzer commercial says, "Try it! You'll like it!"

PS: I think I saw another one there today marked $409.95...

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    One of my many gun sale regrets was trading a 24" 30-30. Held 9 in the tube and was drilled for 'tang-mounted sights'. If you are really a prepper then you should be reloading.
    The 30-30 is one round that can use a cast bullet with a gas check [Very cheap to make}
    and still retain much of it's power. Perfect for SHTF, and could use black powder,unlike
    a semi-auto.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've thought about one of these in .35 caliber. The case be slightly shortened and be legal for deer in Indiana. Some who have done this say that there is no feeding problem.

Just something about a lever gun!

I agree. I have a Marlin 336 in .30-30 and another in 35 rem. Buying guns is not really about need as others have stated. If you can afford it and want it, then get what you want. I bought mine because I like them.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I've had two or three of these and sold them all because I end up needing the funds to pay for something else, and these are the guns that sit in the safe and get shot the least so they were the first to go. They are super fun to shoot though.

I really want an 1895SBL, I just wish they made it in a caliber smaller than .45-70.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    One of my many gun sale regrets was trading a 24" 30-30. Held 9 in the tube and was drilled for 'tang-mounted sights'. If you are really a prepper then you should be reloading.
    The 30-30 is one round that can use a cast bullet with a gas check [Very cheap to make}
    and still retain much of it's power. Perfect for SHTF, and could use black powder,unlike
    a semi-auto.

You're right, I should be reloading. I have learning to reload on my to do list.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    30/30 is a fun varmint rifle. Not to mention it is a great home defence rifle.
    You put a 30/30 round or two into a two legged varmint who is trying to break
    in at 2am. They won't be getting up.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Not sure if you'll be buying reloading equipment (Yes!) or if you're still in the market for a 30-30. My late father left me one. PM if you're interested.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I've had two or three of these and sold them all because I end up needing the funds to pay for something else, and these are the guns that sit in the safe and get shot the least so they were the first to go. They are super fun to shoot though.

I really want an 1895SBL, I just wish they made it in a caliber smaller than .45-70.

Have you looked into. 444Marlin?

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I want to thank everyone for your suggestions. Since I already have a lever action in .357 the only advantage I could see to a 30-30 was the additional range. I figure I'm good with the .357 (Rossi 92) out to 100 yds, maybe 150 yds but that's about it, at least for my skills. The 30-30 could get me out to 200-300 yds. However, since I live in a very hilly and heavily wooded area, most of my shots are going to be less than 100 yds. That being said, in a SHTF situation, I may need to fire defensive rounds of 300+ yds. So, I decided to go with a Savage Axis .30-06 Springfield with a decent scope just in case I need to fend off a long range attack or take a deer in a SHTF scenario (I know a .30-06 is not legal in Indiana for deer, but I'm talking about a WROL situation where I need to feed my family). With a .30-06 I should be good to 500 yds which gives me a capability I wouldn't have with a 30-30. I also plan to start reloading as was suggested. Thanks again for your feedback!

Top Bottom