• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I have 2 S&W 357 revolvers and a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 I carry in the woods in a cowboy rigging. I have wanted the Taurus pump rifle in 357 to go with them but it seems no luck on that.

Enter the Marlin 357 carbine around $500 nib and one fine looking gun.
    What do you folks say?

Oldcoyotedream

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    West Side Indy
    Took a 10 point buck at 246 yards with open sights with my new SS Marlin .357 mag this year. I'm sold on its ability. So I bought another one that is Blue and pre safety, I shot it at 100 yards (open sights) and it's dead on target. I think you will be happy with one as long as you like the lever action.
    Good Luck, OCD

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

I bought a Marlin model 1894 Cowboy .357 Mag. back when I thought I could do some Cowboy Action Shooting. She's got a 20" tapered octagonal barrel... just the right size to jump into my arms as soon as I walked into the gun shop.

Model 1894 Cowboy

<<sadSigh>> I think I'm going to sell her to someone that can use her. No Cowboy Action Shooting for me.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Love my Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .357, this one will be handed down after I'm gone but will never be sold!

50 yards open sights - my own home brew cast bullets

1894Target800x600.jpg

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The nice thing about it is that you can shoot 38 cal. wad cutters for just plinking around...Love mine...

Mine will feed the wadcutters but I have to finesse the lever a bit to get them to feed reliably. So with this I started casting FP style bullets and it feeds them smooth as can be.

I also read but don't know the likeliness of the theory but someone noted that wadcutters can set off a round in the tube ahead of it under heavy recoil. Don't know for sure :dunno: but the theory does seem like it could happen because of the shape of the nose of the wadcutter striking the primer.

I don't believe a .38 would have enough recoil to make this happen but I suppose a 357 mag or 44 would be more suspect.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Took my first deer with an 1894C this year. The .357 is a very capable cartridge in a carbine. These guns are light, handy and good shooters.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Love my Marlin 1894 357, blued model... very accurate, reliable, great little carbine for the woods...

With 38's I'm going to try it out next year with the squirrels and see if I can't get an extra season out of her....

Had a Winchester 1894 lever in 357 a while back and it was nothing but problems... went back to the factory twice for repairs... they couldn't get it right either...

Got the new Marlin 1894 357 Stainless on lay away... You can't go wrong with the little Marlin...

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    I have an 1894C and I love it.

It isn't a tack-driver, but that is because it has open sights and these eyes ain't what they used to be. :)

smokenfire10

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Muncie
    I have the Marlin 1894cs, .357 and I love this weapon. Great for many applications. I use it for cowboy action, plinking, hunting and teaching my daughter fundamentals of shooting. You can't go wrong, good luck.​

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    Love my Marlin 1894 357, blued model... very accurate, reliable, great little carbine for the woods...

With 38's I'm going to try it out next year with the squirrels and see if I can't get an extra season out of her....

Had a Winchester 1894 lever in 357 a while back and it was nothing but problems... went back to the factory twice for repairs... they couldn't get it right either...

Got the new Marlin 1894 357 Stainless on lay away... You can't go wrong with the little Marlin...
    I haven't seen any .357 in stainless. I have a .44 where can i see one of these?

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Love me some .357 carbines! IMO, about the most versatile, usefull and all-around practical duo a person could have is a good revolver and a carbine in that chambering. Neither might be the ideal choice for a particular task, but between the two they're capable of handling a wider range of them successfully than any other I've yet tried.

While I also love pump guns (I'm a southpaw, and my most cherished .357 carbine is my IMI Timberwolf) it may be a blessing in disguise that you couldn't locate a "Thunderbolt" before you bought your Marlin. The old Colt "LMR" design it's based upon was relatively fragile and prone to parts failure. That's the main reason that of the three original action sizes, only the little .22 RF version survived into the 20th century. I've got serious doubts about how well the repros will hold up under even moderate use of full-power .357 ammo.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just picked up an 1894 in .44 mag yesterday from Dick's with a gift card I got from my employees....$469....you can't beat it ...free gun!!!

I can't wait to take it to the range and try it out.:rockwoot:

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    The old man had one as I was growing up... My fondest memory was him letting me smoke a big old porky (NE lingo for porcupine) out of a hemlock tree with it. Did quite a number on the bugger! A 30 lb porky makes quite a thump after falling 100 feet too!

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    If anyone decides to pickup one of these Marlin 1894 beauty's then don't forget to get one of these Wild West trigger kits for it! The best investment I made for mine guaranteed. Sweet smooth trigger you'll thank yourself for investing in.

Wild West Guns Trigger Marlin 336, 444, 1894, 1895 Blue - MidwayUSA

The ad notes that Gunsmith fitting is required which is false..... easy install can be done in about 30 minutes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom