• ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    So...here's the story.

I have always wanted a 45/70, i went to an auction a few weeks ago and found a old Marlin 444s in great shape, well i ended up winning the bid. i just now got to go get some ammo and go out and shoot a little today and man was i impressed!!!

The ammo i got is the Hornady Leverevolution, 265 gr ftx.

My question is this, what ammos have any of you tried and what have you found to work best?

Thanks in advance!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I lived in Montana and the 444 was somewhat popular. Not as much as the 45-70 but still a following enough you could find ammo at most stores at any given time. Most folks that used the 444 Marlin reloaded it but those that didn't seemed to use the Remington 240 GR soft point. Not much factory choices that I remember seeing on the shelves.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was reading some info on other pages stating that there were 400 and 500 grain loads but i cant find any.

I have never seen any data on anything heavier than 300 gr for the 444 Marlin. Not saying they aren't out there but I don't recall them from the major reloading companies. That was one downside of the 444. It just didn't have the choices that the 45-70 did/does.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have 444P and really like it. You limited on ammo choices for sure. Hornady has another load and Remington has a load with 240g bullet. Buffalo Bore does have 300g but it really pricy. The 444 is a reloader due to the limited ammo and the price of the ammo. If you do reload do note the Hornady Leverevolution brass is shorter than other 444 brass.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have used the Remington and the Hornady Leverevolution. I think the Leverevolution cycles better but YMMV.

Other thoughts:

1) If you have trouble chambering the last round of Leverevolution then you might need a new magazine follower spring. This is fairly common.

2) If you have a scope mounted low then you might consider a hammer extension. I wasn't comfortable with the amount of "thumb" I could put on the hammer to decock because it was so close to the bottom of the scope. I bought an Uncle Mike's hammer extension and feel more comfortable with it now.

3) The Marlin .444 is a great firearm. Enjoy.

Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    thanks for all the responses, reloading is something I've thought about doing, i don't know anyone that does, i would like to learn. so far the hornady leverevolution seems to do very well, very accurate. no problems chambering the rounds, i did do some research on the gun and found out it was made in 78. No scope it has a Williams peep sight that is really neat, it does have a hammer extension on witch is nice for my fat fingers. After shooting it about 8 times yesterday i have figured out one thing... the 444 is the pissed off Irish cousin of the 45/70, i have shot 45/70 in the past, but man that 444 kicks, I think i'm in love.... my brother and i hunt with 12ga slugs so recoil is something we are use to, it was more than he expected, it was funny to see the look on his face after he shot it.

Top Bottom