• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Been thinking about getting a semi-auto .22lr again. Have a nice marlin lever action and bolt already. I guess accuracy and reliability would be my two top desires. I use to have a marlin 60 years ago and it was a fun gun. I also liked the tube feed since I was never concerned with losing my magazine.

I have never held a 10/22 but it seems very short and the savage appears to have a thin barrel in pictures.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions. It will basically be a weekend plinker and maybe a squirrel gun.

Thanks

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you're a tinkerer- the 10/22 is tough to beat with its aftermarket support. You can shoot it as-is or modify it to your heart's content. However, for a weekend plinker and squirrel gun, I nominate the gun I use for exactly those two roles- the Marlin 60. Granted, mine is from about 1992, so I don't know anything about the brand new ones, but mine is more accurate than an inexpensive .22 has a right to be ($109 back then), is reliable, light, but sturdy. Mine holds 14 rounds in the tube.

As for the Savage, I don't know anything about it.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    For what they are, I don't think you can go wrong with a 10-22 or a Model 60.

I don't know anything about the Savage.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm another fan of the Model 60, or it's magazine fed fraternal twin, the 795. If you aren't heart-set on fussing around with it and changing out every part (which I agree is a pretty fun part of owning a 10/22) it will shoot smaller than dime sized groups at 25 yards all day and only set you back $125 or so.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've owned both the Savage and a 10/22. I kept the 10/22 because I wanted to customize it.

The Savage is a better shooter out of the box. And if you get the Heavy Barrel option, you could make the case that it's just as good as the 10/22 with an aftermarket barrel. :twocents:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You won't go wrong with any of the rifles you've listed. A semi-auto .22 works only as well as it is clean ... let it get too dirty and you'll be shooting a single shot rifle.

The Ruger 10/22 has, by far, the most aftermarket parts so you can customize the rifle to your heart's content. However, my personal preference is for the Marlin 60 (or any variation there of).

You might consider the Marlin 795 or the Remington 597 if you like the look and feel of the Savage 64 ... same basic styling with the protruding detachable magazine.

I think the biggest question is where are you finding ammo to just go plinking? Reveal your sources so the rest of us can join you!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    If you get the 10/22, you'll probably get the bug like everyone else to swap out a part here and there and keep doing it. It's been fun to do with mine. I ended up buying another carbine and kept it stock and added a scope for squirrel hunting. I never worried about losing a mag because they're small enough to keep several in your vest or coat pocket.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The 10/22 brings a disease/addiction with it. You can't own just one of them. I'm a "recovering" addict now and I'm down to only 6. It is a slippery slope.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have a Savage FVSR Bolt and the barrel is not what I would call thin. It is very accurate. I cannot speak for the Semi-auto version, but they look to be very similar in construction.

My semi-auto 22 is a MP15-22. It is a good plinking gun and is also pretty darned accurate. Of course it costs about twice what one of your options do.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've owned numerous Marlin model 60's over the years.
    you can get a "tacticool" stock from ATI for the 60.
    I personally prefer nice wood, pre-Remington model 60's.
    for $125-$150 you can have yourself a really nice tube fed semi-auto .22.
    because Marlin Model 60's are classic...and they stand the test of time.
    but my personal favorite is my 10/22 decked out with all kinds of goodies:
    Green Mountain 19.5" heavy fluted barrel, tactical innovations/sunrise arms muzzle brake, Archangel stock (adjustable LOP), Harris bipod, decent glass, etc...
    now that is my "squirrel sniper gun". I call it "the squirrel slayer" :cool:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks for all of the replies. I think after reading the comments I will probably go the Marlin 60 route. So here is my next question, would you go the gunbroker route to find an older 60? I look around and never see them used.

As for plinking....I have some good reserves on hand but have been lucky finding it as well here and there. I was at Rural King in Martinsville this Saturday and they had boxes of ELEY for 8 bucks.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Thanks for all of the replies. I think after reading the comments I will probably go the Marlin 60 route. So here is my next question, would you go the gunbroker route to find an older 60? I look around and never see them used.

just keep your eyes peeled...they're around.
    INGO classifieds, armslist, call your LGS.
    or put up a WTB ad.
    I put up a WTB Marlin 60 ad here
    and bought a really nice 60 from an awesome INGO'er.
    the Marlin you end up buying may not even be listed anywhere.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    There is a reason why you see so many 10/22 rifles. Ruger did it right with the gun and 50yrs later its still a favorite among many shooters. So the 10/22 would get my vote, but with that being said I like the Marlin also my brother has one currently and shoots lights out. Im just not a fan of the tube mag. An I don't really have any experience with the Savage.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

As for plinking....I have some good reserves on hand but have been lucky finding it as well here and there. I was at Rural King in Martinsville this Saturday and they had boxes of ELEY for 8 bucks.

just keep your eyes peeled...they're around.
    INGO classifieds, armslist, call your LGS.
    or put up a WTB ad.
    I put up a WTB Marlin 60 ad here
    and bought a really nice 60 from an awesome INGO'er.
    the Marlin you end up buying may not even be listed anywhere.

Yep, they come up every so often. I picked up a very nice specimen from an even nicer INGOer last year.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom