• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerslayer512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 23, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have owned a Marlin 980s for 3 years now, and i absolutely love it. For starters, its incredibly smooth. I still havent polished the bolt but i dont see a reason too. Its perfectly smooth out of the box. Accuracy wise, the marlin surprised me. I wasnt expecting much from it but it was actually extremely accurate. The only drawback is that it is ammo picky when it comes to groups. I wouldnt recommend remington bulk ammo if your looking for good groups because the marlin hated it in particular. The best groups i had were with CCI and surprisingly, federal bulk ammo. I could cover 10 rounds with a penny with both of those. As for reliability, the marlin was incredible. I put well over 5,000 rounds threw it without a single jam. It will cycle any kind of ammo you put in it. Durability wise, the marlin was also spectacular. I bought the stainless model with a wood stock and it hasnt rusted at all even after being exposed to the rain. If your looking for a varmint hunting gun, i would highly recommend the 980. Its light at about 5 pounds and has a nice balance to it. If your not looking to put a scope on it, the marlins comes with collapsible irons sights that are spectacular. I used them for a year before buying a cheap barska rimfire scope that served me well but i will be upgrading it soon. The magazine was also well built. It came with a 7 round stainless magazine but i soon bought the 10 round at a local gun show for about 15 dollars and it was well worth it. As for looks, i believe the marlin is a beautiful gun. The stock is beautiful walnut, but i will say that checkering would be nice. I dont know the retail price for it because i havent seen one since i bought mine (i bought mine at a local gun shop for 300 dollars) so it should be around there. Overall, i would highly recommend the marlin 980 for anyone who is looking for a good gun to plink, varmint hunt, or bring a youngster into the sport. If you enjoyed this review, please tell me if youd like to see more reviews.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Without question one of the best values, bangs per buck, in the firearms market today. I think it should win "best value in .22 rifles".

I have a Marlin 980S that I bought at an Indy1500 for $100. I had to change the sights because of my Charlie Brown head (you long heads do not know the grief that we round heads suffer).

The best thing is that the 980 uses the same mags as my Marlin Papoose.

Captianbullseye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 31, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I would have to also agree with you. I bought my first Marlin a couple of years ago, it was the Marlin 980. It is one if not the best, smoothest bolt action I own. It is a wonderful rifle, I 100% agree with you. Thanks for the review.

Top Bottom