• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I got my hands on a lightly used 2008 Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. It's a Connecticut gun with the JM stamp. I got it sighted in with a Weaver V-3 1-3x20 scope, very happy with the scope and I'm now very curious how it would transfer to AR applications, but that's a different story. I'm also very happy with the gun. With factory ammo off bags it's making nice little clover leaves at 50 yards and approximately 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I can't wait to work up some handloads.

I was out shooting the other day and, making a long story short, the loading gate screw broke. Now, I love this gun and I did plenty of reading before I bought it. Everyone seems very happy with this gun and it is often said to be a hardy beat around the woods gun. To me, that indicates durability yet one itty bitty little screw later my gun was transformed into a club. I had been planning on taking this gun with me next week knock to down a hog or two but at this point I'm a little leery. I mean, the stinking loading gate screw? I did some google searching of the issue and it does't seem at all uncommon. It's a little discouraging that after years and years of making this gun they never quite figured out the loading gate screw. And believe me, it's a single point failure. The action was useless, jammed up by the loading gate. When you take a shot at a hog the rest tend to bolt and things move rather quickly. Anyone want to give me a confidence boost about this hardy lever rifle or do I just need to say a little prayer and carry a good sidearm? (I do those two things anyway)

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Don't give up on her. Tightening screws is a maintenance thing on Marlins, just use the right width driver, a Mosin screwdriver is perfect for most of them. Call Marlin and they may take care of ya?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Have a few Marlin lever guns. I have completed several big name schools with Marlin lever guns in .357 (my training buddy is from Chicago and we use what he uses sometimes).

They get waved about as "tactical this and tactical that" but they never mention that the lever guns are fragile creatures. Everything that can snap or fall off a lever gun I have had fall off or snap.

If you like it, cool beans. Just get another copy of the one you have.

As the man says, "if the Space Shuttle can go up like a bottle rocket, twice, then your piece of wood and steel can fail too."

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'll push through, I'll even take it with me this weekend. Just a little sobering to think about a little screw taking my gun down when there could very well be some bad tempered bacon in close proximity. I guess that's why I carry a g20.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You got it sorted out now!:D

If you read the gun nut boards, you read all kinds of nonesense about how underlevers are "rugged and reliable". But when you ask them what experience they have using them you get references to horse operas and movies.:D Lever actions are fragile, that's why bolt guns were immediately popular. Not to take anything from John Browning, but the Mauser brothers knew what they were doing and they did it for a reason.

However, levers are extremely popular in the USA because of the culture. No sense arguing the subjective to your fellow gun nuts.:D

If you want a lever simply buy in teams. One at the smith, one to use, one in ready reserve. Show my age now, but like the guys with the 1100s used to do.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I would take a bolt gun over a lever in about any situation. Lever guns are really awesome and fun to shoot. Kirk is right about it being a culture thing. I bought my first of two lever gun about 6 months ago beacuse I felt the 'got to have one" feeling. I am planning on doing a hog hunt this fall. I will take the levers but my bolt will be there for backup. I don't know why but I have the urge to buy another one :-( It's an illness I guess ;) The only cure is a empty wallet

Last edited:

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I bought this gun to be a deer and hog killer. I was very close to going in the 458 socom direction but due to ammo/component availability and cost and cost of each gun I went to the lever side. Might not be too late to reconsider.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I bought the same gun new, for the second season it was legal to take deer in IN with. I have never had a problem with it. Takes 2-3 deer every season. But I do always carry a Super Blackhawk with me just in case. Last December I bought a Rossi 92 as a second lever 44mag. If they both break I will use my 870, or the other 870. And if all else fails...I will use one of my muzzle loaders. I do love the Marlin though. It is great for follow up shots...or when you want to fill all your tags at once.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You got it sorted out now!:D

If you read the gun nut boards, you read all kinds of nonesense about how underlevers are "rugged and reliable". But when you ask them what experience they have using them you get references to horse operas and movies.:D Lever actions are fragile, that's why bolt guns were immediately popular. Not to take anything from John Browning, but the Mauser brothers knew what they were doing and they did it for a reason.

True, but as much as I like my 1942 6.5x55 Mauser, I can't shoot it near as fast as my lever guns. The only bolt gun even close, was my old .303.

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    Marlin 1894 are fantastic rifles. I bet if you were to call up Marlin and explain what happened, they might send you exactly what you need to fix it. Most major companies will do this. and yes, maintain them and keep checking to make sure nothing comes loose once in a while

Top Bottom