• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    This is my friends Marlin "Glenfield" Model 60. He had to bring it out of the back of a basement closet to show it to me. It did not have the magazine tube, it had a fair amount of rust, the finish on the receiver was chipped off in places and the stock looked like it had been through a war (and not in the good way).

He asked me if I could find a magazine tube rod for it, and having been introduced to numrich shortly before this, I said I would. Wile looking online for other information about the model 60, I found this awesome ATI stock. So I decided to upgrade the whole thing and return it to him as a wedding present.

He was amazed! He couldn't have been happier with what I had done. The best part is, I also am refinishing the wood stock, and none of the modifications (other than the repairs) are completely reversable. That way the original will always be around.

Any cool projects you guys have done?

Attachments

• WP_20140110_001.jpg
      WP_20140110_001.jpg
      132.7 KB · Views: 126

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Model 60 doesn't get a lot of love I don't think. The 10/22 is what everyone goes for on here although I see the 60 brought up on occasion. I have a Model 60 my dad bought me as my first gun....its still original in all its glory. I don't shoot it much...but will never get rid of it.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    A Model 60 was gifted to me when I was a little kid. It's a real nice shooter but I don't take it out much anymore. I'll always have it.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I still have my Model 60, completely original other than a Tasco scope. It was my first rifle unless you counted my Crosman air rifle. I have a lot of good memories involving those two rifles.

Cj52racers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    My first gun was the magazine fed version of the 60 and I will always love that thing. Great job on the rebuild!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I bought my Model 60 new from K-Mart in about 1993 ($109 w/ awful scope and decent case). It is my favorite go-to plinker. It was the first real firearm all of my kids shot. The 10/22 is a fine rifle, but I love my "14 in the tube" Model 60.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I bought mine new from service merchandise in like 1994, (With assistance from a parent, as I was 13.) It was my first rifle. Wish I still had it! Traded for car parts in my early driving years! Great little rifles!
    Gave them the ticket number, and was bummed, because they were out of stock! Then, they offered me the display model, for enough of a discount to buy a brick of .22, and a 4x15mm scope! (Remember when a $20 bill would buy those two!?) I happily accepted the display model!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have a 60 that is all original with a GI sling. First rifle I ever had.

I have a 795 that I put into a Boyds thumbhole made for a model 60. They carry model 60 and 795 stocks now, but a few years ago the 60 was only made in limited runs. I had to mill out the receiver area to fit the 795 mag well and everything. Fun little project. Still need to get it oiled, but fit and function is great.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I have a lot of fond memories shooting my dad's Model 60 when I was growing up. Now that I have two little ones of my own who are coming into shooting age, I really need to get one for the locker and pass the memories down.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    My small family a 25N on the left, a Glenfield Mod 60 and a Marlin Limited Mod 60. I also have worked on and fixed many Mod 60s. I love these guns. I also have a 39A pre safety (1976), a 1894 cowboy, and a 336. All pre Marlington.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I still have brass stuck in my face from an out of battery discharge with my Mod 60. I was well into a third brick of ammo when a bullet stuck at the chamber from an extremely dirty barrel. It cycled the action and I popped off two more rounds. (I was really putting them out there). Both cases blew into little pieces. Burned my eye but I got to keep it! This was in the days before I cleaned guns regular like. My nephew has it now but it is still pretty accurate.

Top Bottom