• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    There is probably a thread about this somewhere, but I just want some opinions. I just want to know which one would be better. Right now the model 60 has price, warranty, and kind of the look. The ruger 10/22 has the removable magazine with extended options, easier to clean, and i like the feel of it. Any extra opinions would be great. Thanks all for looking. :ingo:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If you want a rifle you're going to shoot, and learn intimately, without gobs of accessories, parts swaps, headaches, etc, get a 795 or 60. If you want something infinitely customizable with all the newest gadgets, bells, whistles, etc, get a 10/22. By the time you're done the only thing you're likely to keep is the reciever.

I've had both. My 795 stayed in the safe and my 10/22 was sold after about $400 of parts went into it.

My 795 with TechSights is a rifle that I can pick up and know exactly what it will do with ammo running at just about any velocity. I know how the sight adjustments will react for just about any ammo. It's a rifle that has become "part of me". My 10/22 never got there.

The only major downside i see to the 795/60 platform is the silly dovetail scope mount.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you're going to take them as they are without any plans to customize them later down the road then it comes down to the 10-22 with detachable magazine, or a 60 with a tube fed. I grew up with a model 60, and I have a 10-22. Both are outstanding guns, but I like the ability to dump a lot of ammo and reload quickly so the 10-22 get the edge in my book.

Of course I planned on leaving it alone initially, but now it's on it's second stock, different internal upgraded parts, upgraded sights, and I just had to put on a $15 flash suppressor just because. The 10-22 can become a money pit, so keep that in mind if you need to protect yourself from yourself.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Intrinsic, out of the box accuracy: Marlin 60
    Accuracy with parts, aftermarket du-dads, etc...: Ruger

All in all, I would take a Ruger over a Marlin with 1 exception: Regular capacity mag ban states. It seems to be the only gun that does not fall into those restrictions (10 rounds or under restrictions).

Both are reliable. If anything, I dislike the Marlin's bolt buffer thingy. Have yet to break a Ruger's "Bolt buffer", broke several of the Marlins. :(

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    Thanks for the info so far. The only accessories I can think of putting on right now would be a scope and extended mag for the 10/22. I can say that, but like you said teddy, I have to protect myself from myself with all those options out there.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Intrinsic, out of the box accuracy:

Both are reliable. If anything, I dislike the Marlin's bolt buffer thingy. Have yet to break a Ruger's "Bolt buffer", broke several of the Marlins. :(

Well, it is reasonably hard to break a steel pin :D

I always felt the Marlin's action was "quieter". I have at least 10k through my Marlin and the buffer has not broken.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, it is reasonably hard to break a steel pin :D

I always felt the Marlin's action was "quieter". I have at least 10k through my Marlin and the buffer has not broken.

Man! Lucky guy! :D I agree with the Marlin seems "quieter". Those buffers were just a nightmare on the two I have had. Had to replace them every bulk pack on one rifle, but still have 1 Marlin that I rarely shoot that I have replaced twice in it's new from store to present life. :( Admittedly, only until it was completely shattered and bits moving into the action, the rifle was reliable despite "buffer damage". :yesway:

Also, the marlin seems to have a lower bore axis in it's stock form compared to the 10/22 in it's stock form. Seemed to have less recoil (I know, its just a .22).

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Why not both? Get the 60 first learn it, know it. Then find a cheap 10/22 later on and do whatever you want with it.

I can tell you though. If you get a 60 your gonna be thinking about the magazine on the 10/22 everytime you load it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I actually prefer the very basic iron sights of the marlin, but I just remember refilling the mag tube round by round and how much that was a buzz kill growing up.

To be prefectly honest, if Marlin ever comes out with a high cap mag for the 795, I'm gonna jump on that like a fat kid on cake. As a former fat kid I know just how fast that is.

jeberle40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    765 Area
    I have a Ruger 10/22 Talo Edition, first gun I've bought. All the accessories it came with work great, absolutely no problems. It came with
    -threaded barrel
    -flash suppressor
    -ATI six position telescoping/folding stock
    -rails, etc
    -25 round Ruger magazine
    I purchased it the end of September and since then I've put about 2000+ (two thousand, not 200) rounds through it. I've shot Remington, Federal, and CCI. I only broke it down entirely once to clean it, and it actually wasn't even that dirty. Only took about a half hour, cleaning the barrel with a BoreSnake, not the rod. Accurate and reliable.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you open your search to the Marlin 795 (which you've probably figured out is the magazine fed version of the Model 60), I echo the sentiment that if you want a shooter right from the box, get the 795 and 10 boxes of Federal 550rd bulk pack and shoot the crap out of it for the same total price as the Ruger. If you're into Tacticool, your going to need the Ruger, though. Alternatively, for the same total $$ you can get a Leupold Vx1 mounted on the Marlin, while you'd have to settle for a Wally World Tasco on the Ruger. I've seen some awfully nice tricked out Rugers though, and admittedly every Marlin 795 I see has a homemade foam cheek piece, a cheap GI sling, and little bitty groups on an Appleseed AQT.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Like everyone keeps saying, if you like to customize a rifle, the Ruger is the way to go, but after you spend enough on one rifle customizing it to the point that you have spent enough money to have purchased 10 Marlins, you will wish you got the Marlin and a ton of ammo! :D :D :D

On the other hand, If you are slightly crazy like me, you get both the Marlin 60 and a Ruger 10/22. Use the Marlin when you want to bore yourself with a very accurate, very reliable rifle straight out of the box. Use the Ruger when you want to try out the latest $100 accessory that you just installed, and still have a good time, only more expensive.

Oh, and about the post talking about states that still follow magazine capacity bans, the Marlin 60 was exempt as it does not have a detachable magazine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I always tend to think of the Marlin 60 as the "K-mart rifle" but that's only because they used to sell them... they were always low-priced compared to other rifles. Buddy of mine still has his from childhood. Not a darn thing wrong with them as far as I can tell. But like others have said, the 10/22 is more customizable.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Personally, I would take the model 60 over a 10/22 any day of the week. IMO it has a better trigger and is more accurate out of the box. I did have a 597 at one time as well and it was a great little plinker.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Model 60 all the way. I have one I bought at the 1500 around 20 years ago for 35.00. I would put it up against a 10/22 any day of the week for accuracy. Myself, I would not trade my 60 for 3 10/22's. They can't really be made"tactical cool" like a 10/22 but I could care less.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Both are great guns. As all of the others have said, 10/22 for customize Model 60 for out of the box down and dirty work with great accuracy. My first rifle was a Model 60 with the long tube (Holds 17 rounds I think). After 30 years I still have it and it wears a 4x40 scope. It is still accurate and have not replaced part 1. As for my 10/22, I converted it to an M1 carbine clone with Tech Sights. I can hit shotgun shell hulls at 50 yards with it. It goes with me on about every range trip.
    picture.php

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    To add to the debate. I was looking at throwing on a suppressor later on. Would this cause a problem with loading the tube on a model 60? If I can find someone who has been able to attach one without causing a problem to it, I'll probably get the model 60, but if it will take a lot of extra work, I'm going with the 10/22.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you intend to put a can on it you're not going to be able to open the magazine tube on a 60 even if you manage to thread the barrel. You're going to want the 10-22.

Top Bottom