• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I am interested in getting a suppressor for my Marlin Papoose. I found this website: subsilent suppressors (Marlin (Papoose) Suppressors) and sent two inquiries. I never heard back. So, I thought I'd check here for suggestions.
    I'm new to this and I've never owned a suppressor. I understand I must get the tax stamp and go through the hoops, but regarding the suppressor itself, are there any suggestions?
    What is the difference between a regular suppressor and an "over the barrel" suppressor? What about recommendations to get my barrel threaded? Any place locally?
    Thank you in advance.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You would be better-off getting a muzzle can IMHO. Integral suppressors are cool, but the one you linked to is U G L Y! There is a gunsmith locally who has a business called Prototech Enterprises who can thread your barrel (and do a darn good job). His name is Larry Hoskins and he goes by "longshot308" on here. Send him a PM. Tell him I sent ya.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I would probably just buy this if its what you want. http://www.autoweapons.com/photos05/jun/awcpap.html

its about a third of the way down on this page
    MACHINE GUNS FOR SALE - AUTOWEAPONS.COM

Here is the description.
    AWC/MARLIN PAPOOSE .22 SUPPRESSED TAKE DOWN RIFLE....THIS IS A NEW SPECIAL ORDER ITEM FROM THE AWC FAMILY OF SUPPRESSED WEAPONS -- A MARLIN PAPOOSE TAKE DOWN .22 RIFLE WITH INTEGRAL STAINLESS STEEL SUPPRESSOR....EXTREMELY QUIET AND A SHARP LOOKING SMALL PACKAGE, WITH A QUICK TWIST OF THE BBL LOCKING NUT YOU CAN EITHER DEPLOY OR TAKE THIS FIREARM DOWN....STOWS IN ITS OWN CUSTOM ZIPPERED NYLON CASE $1,295

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There are so many good things to say about the setup you are considering. When I " can "this will be on the radar for sure but my marlin 39a and cb shorts are remarkably quiet and legal for Indiana hunting. Here are my thoughts on your setup. I have a pappy I bought without case thinking of doing your setup. I have not done it yet as money is not growing on trees right now.

The one very good thing is the take-down feature. The bad thing is the take down feature. when you mount a scope to the receiver and the barrel goes on a little different each time you have to re-sight the scope. A common Pappy thing unless you want to shoot open sights.

If you were to get a scout scope setup that attaches to the barrel of the rifle then since it syncs with the barrel and not the receiver it would be much more accurate on a first shot out of the case with the whole James Bond feel of putting it all together and hitting a target and putting it back in the case and walking away. I think the Wild west guns 1894 mount would work in the regular barrel very well as a gunsmith and off the shelf solution for a short range 22 work.

Cans that thread to barrels need higher front and rear sights (not as common now as in earlier years) as the can is normally larger than the smaller pappy barels. A good peep on the rear dovetail and a higher front site would work well for open sights. It looks like the original sights might work on the new pappy's they sell. On the old one the dovetail front was a bit different.

You are working with a 16.5 inch barrel to start. threading needs to be perfect Or you are going to be under 16 inch and be making a SBR and the tax stamp for it also. Somethng I am thnking for mine.

The semi auto is not as quiet as the single shot, lever, bolt gun with a can. So I think a bolt stop can be made into the rifle to keep it in a manual fed mode. and quick release of the bolt stop and you have a semi auto power again.

So what i was thinking was a SBR'ed can surpressed with a wanre quick detachable rings, a leopold 1-4 power scout scope and the wild west scout scope mount having the gunsmith chop the barrel the lenght of the surpressor can thread and recrown barrel and the mounting holes for the scout scope mount, re dovetail the front sight and adding a skiiner rear peep. That is lots of money for a NFA item as 400 in tax stamps the cost of the pappy, the gunsmith cost, the expensive scout scope and mounts rings and peep and the action block to go single manual feed. Most likely over 1400 total most likely 1700. But in my opionion the best pappy setup ever.

Let me know it you want help making one of need any of the info I have gathered.

Coastal Gun "Hornet" all stainless steel .22 caliber suppressor. was the one I was looking at. But I was going to ask the experts here first about things I do not know about.

Now i have the feeling I might thread a cantender barel or two over the pappy.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am still kicking myself for missing this. I saw two older integrally suppressed papooses at the 1500 a year ago or so ago for under $500 each.

As much as I like the integral looks, I think the $200 tax would be better spent on SBR'ing one and threading for a can. then stick it in one of these stocks.

ETA Tech Sights has a groove mount rear sight for these.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    IAs much as I like the integral loks, I think the $200 tax would be better spent on SBR'ing one and threading for a can. then stick it in one of these stocks.

Experts would that not be 2 tax stamps one for the SBR and one for the surpressor?

The reason I bought my pappy without the case is the stock. Mine is not plastic it is wood.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I am still kicking myself for missing this. I saw two older integrally suppressed papooses at the 1500 a year ago or so ago for under $500 each.

As much as I like the integral loks, I think the $200 tax would be better spent on SBR'ing one and threading for a can. then stick it in one of these stocks.

ETA Tech Sights has a groove mount rear sight for these.

Good luck finding a RamLine stock...I've been looking for a year!:dunno:

Top Bottom