• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I saw some news from the shot show and one of the items that really stood out to me was the new Marlin 1894SBL. It's a grey laminated stock, with a large loop, and an XS sight & rail system so you could mount anything from scout scopes, regular scopes to red dots on it. I think it'd be a sweet gun for hunting around these parts, but the only problem is that I'm sure it'll be close to $800 or more.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    They made a special run a few years ago of 16.25", stainless/laminate, fiber optic sighted rifles in pistol calibers and they were great. I like short barrel levers and will have one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Snorko, I almost bought yours, the 45 long colt. Of all the purchase I have made or thought about making on this board the limited 45 colt and your savage 24 deluxe I still feel I should have made the deal on. :):

Here is mine,

DSC03067.jpg

I have to wear special gloves when hunting because mine does not have the big loop. I had to add the Xs rail. but i bought mine new for 529. The gloves were cheaper.

Now if remington/marlin would get the lever into the parts department I will be perfect.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I may have to pick up both a .44 and a .357 version. I am a littl peeved, though. I just spent a ton of money chopping both ends of a Marlin 336 and having it Birdsonged to make a CAR (cowboy assault rifle). This would have made a better base. :dunno:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Snorko the CAR in 30-30 is the redneck AK47 and i mean redneck in the best of ways.

If the Chinese Army invades the USA. I bet the army drops 30-30 rounds into the conflict areas. There are more 30-30's in the back of pickups and in closets in the USA than almost any other round ever invented. Yes people are going to have SKS and AK's and mosins but remember all the people who own a single shotgun a single 22 and a lever action rifle for deer season. I still believe that more 30-30 rounds are sold every year than anything else in centerfire. I bet mainly one box per person per year.

I look very close at everything I see you put up for sale and if you were not so far south of my location at least the savage would be in my safe now. We seem to have very similar taste in firearms.

As to the SBL 44 my personal opinion is to see what they look like when i get one in my hands. I do not know if the fine employees at remington are good enough at making lever action rifles yet since the plant moved. I think all my marlins will have a JM with a circle around it on the barrel. I don't know if any will have the new electronic rem stampings. Time will tell as I have yet to see an Illion NY marlin in person.

The regular SBL sold so well because of people like you and I customizing the marlin guide and other offerings.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Broke down and bought an 1894 CB Limited II last summer. What the .44 does to deer is disturbing. Second one this year was a nice mid sized buck who turned, looked back at me through the woods, showing only his head and about two thirds of his neck, and gave me all the time I needed. The shot literally dropped him in his tracks. Not only is my rifle a work of art, it's an extremely efficient deer harvester. Love those Marlins, and can't wait to see the new ones. Sounds really fun!

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    As many problems as the Remington Marlins are having I would not order one sight unseen.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As many problems as the Remington Marlins are having I would not order one sight unseen.

Yeah. As much as I like the marlins, I'd have to agree with this. Back when I had to decide on what 44mag I was going to buy I spent a lot of time over at marlinowners.com and there were enough guys then that had complaints about the 44mags jamming up. Now that Remington owns them it's going to be even more iffy. My puma 92 has been flawless and as much as I'd love to buy one of the new 1894 SBL's you guys are right about the base price being $800 or more. For a little over $500 I could buy a puma 92 scout scope'd 44mag with the stronger action, better reliability and just as accurate. It still wouldn't be an SBL, but it's not an entirely bad alternative.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Marlin 1894P

It took me five months to find one but I rounded up a Marlin 1894P in 44 mag about two years ago and LOVE IT!!!! These were a limited run in the early 1990's that had a 16.25" barrel that came factory ported!! Its like taking a Red Rider B.B. gun into the woods its soooo short.

It took me a little shooting to figure out what she likes to eat though. I also discovered heat plays HELL on these guns if you are trying to really dial them in.......You get three or four good shots, after that they tend to open up until she cools off.

Then I went through the process of running Final Finish rounds through her to help tighten up the group even more. Currently running with three holes touching at 50yds plenty good for deer in Indiana. I would HIGHLY recommend the Final Finish products for $40.00 it took me from 2" at 50 yds to 3/4" at 50yds......best $40.00 I EVER spent!!!!

As for the Marlins jamming.....yes that has been a problem but as near as I can tell it is only if you run a ton of round through them straight out of the box....If you buy one look on the internet about "Marlin Jam" before you go out shooting.....The leading edge of the leaver where it runs in the bolt comes from the factory a little on the sharp side....."Polish it!"..there are several good articals to show you what I am talking about....

But what happens is since the leaver steel is harder than the bolt steel the sharp edge wears down the inside of the bolt thus messing up the feed and timing of the cycle..... HOPE THIS HELPED!!!:dunno:

Top Bottom