• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    One of our (previous) own is married to a felon. The rules stated to them were the that the guns needed locked up (and the ammo too...separately) where the felon does not have access to the key or combination. This does not apply to the carry gun of the non-felon *while it is being carried*. Once un-holstered, it has to be locked up in the same fashion.

When riding in a car, if the non-felon is driving, it can NOT be placed in an unlocked common area (console, glove box, etc.). It has to be in control of the non-felon 100%.

I don't remember what else. . .

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If I was married to a felon, I am not, but if I were, there would be a gun available to protect herself anyway.

I wouldnt feel good if I was out of town and my felon wife was raped or murdered because of stupid felony laws that strip families of their ability to protect themselves. And if there are kids involved, even more so.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks all!

Good info in here all thanks a ton. Was finaly able to make it over to the JAG office and they confirmed a lot of what everyone was saying, and it was all for nothing! My wife to be was so embarrassed by her past run ins with the law that she locked her never opened police report up so she would never have to look at it. I told her to give it to me so I could take it to the attorney, she dug it out and I read it. Three misdemeanors, 0 convictions... Women go figure making moutians out of mole hills.:dunno: The good news is I don't have to choose between my guns and my girl!! :ar15::wwub:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    If I was married to a felon, I am not, but if I were, there would be a gun available to protect herself anyway.

I wouldnt feel good if I was out of town and my felon wife was raped or murdered because of stupid felony laws that strip families of their ability to protect themselves. And if there are kids involved, even more so.

If there are kids involved, you arm the kids too. :)

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Good info in here all thanks a ton. Was finaly able to make it over to the JAG office and they confirmed a lot of what everyone was saying, and it was all for nothing! My wife to be was so embarrassed by her past run ins with the law that she locked her never opened police report up so she would never have to look at it. I told her to give it to me so I could take it to the attorney, she dug it out and I read it. Three misdemeanors, 0 convictions... Women go figure making moutians out of mole hills.:dunno: The good news is I don't have to choose between my guns and my girl!! :ar15::wwub:

Thankfully there are no misdemeanor DV convictions.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ...And G. Gordon Liddy could still be sent to prison for being a felon in possession.

Constructive possession requires more than mere proximity, lest walking into Wal-Mart sporting goods section would violate the law.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Actually, I have made this very point myself Ted. Recently in fact, though the details aren't germane to this discussion.

However, my understanding is that constructive possession definitions vary from state to state, but the federal definition is very liberal indeed. My primary point is that a person in such a situation would be best to not use the glib comments of a talking head as a basis for saying "It's cool for my wife to have guns, she's not a felon.", lest they find themselves dressed in federal pajamas.

If the words of Mr. Liddy were solid legal advice, my wife would own a great number of firearms.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I believe that marriage means that all assets become marital assets and in that case, she would be owner or 'in possession'.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn....

I thought once married, only the assets that were bought after you were married became mutual assets?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    As to the felony thing, the obligatory comment about G. Gordon Liddy's wife owning a lot of firearms comes to mind. I'm pretty sure restrictions are limited to access/physical possession. But IANAL and this is worth less than you paid for it.
    Probably the path to take. Put all your guns in a trust with her name not on that trust and then in a safe that she does not know the combination to open it.

Of course start by asking an attorney but I thought in Indiana it was no weapons in the house. The safe would probably have to go to a friend or family members house.

PS ignore this post, I just the OP's good news post!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Glad to hear that your future wife is not a felon. Makes life much easier for you.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Don't you know the rules of Dating/Marrying?

#1 NEVER date ANYONE whos been in jail, let alone convicted.....jeez:D!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom