• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The club can add new members any way they want.

If it was my club I wouldn't put people through all this, I'd probably start my new year on June 1st, and any membership not paid in full for the next year by May 15th would be up for grabs. I would tell applicants to send in a application postmarked between May 15 and May 25, dump them in a big box and have someone pull out the number of applicants we need plus 10% for those that can't pay. Notify the new members, give them one week to pay in full, and go from there. Any leftover runners up in that 10% pile would be given first shot at next year.

But that's just me. Feel free to run your club anyway you want.
    ===============================================

Being a member of the Martinsville Club's all volunteer board, we have done the best we can and tried to adjust our new member process to changing times. For a number of years, until Jan 2012 we let people request a new member application by email after 12:01 AM New Year's day...I know, I emailed applications til 3 am on several Jan 1sts!. We'd take applications/checks as they came into our PO box and fill them against the number of openings, then return the rest of the applications and checks with regrets. This was a lot of paper chasing for our board and until about 4 years ago that process stretched out from Jan>April til the openings were filled. We also over the years boosted our total membership from 125 families about 10 years ago, to our current 500 familiy membership as we added ranges and expanded the facilities.

In Jan 2012 we tried something drastically different...we decided late in 2011 that we'd hold an open membership morning Jan 1, 2012 starting at 9 am til we filled the 41 openings in hand for 2012. We hit 41 about 11 AM and were quite pleased we were able to accomodate all who came to the club that day. Only complaint after the fact was that we did not communicate this new procedure very well.

We opted to change management of the club website and have been communicating for the past year that Jan 1, 2013 would be the day we take new membership applications again starting at 9 am. As existing members have til Dec. 31 to return their renewals (and some did wait til the bitter end), we did not know the total number of openings til late last nite...just 22 openings following a 95% renewal rate of existing members.

When the other directors and I arrived at the club this morning, a couple of them as early as 6:30 am...the line of cars extended well out on to Burton lane...at it's peak over 150 cars for just 22 openings. Soooooo, rather than make folks wait til 9 am when it was obvious who would get in...we handed out numbers 1-22 to those in line about 8:15 am and told the others behind them that we were once again full and posted a note on the gate to that effect. The first couple in line told us they were parked at the gate at 8:45 pm last nite. The 22nd and final person to make the cut had gotten there about 5 am. Anyone after 5 am was thus turned away.

The above is not to make excuses...just to explain some incorrect statements made by some other posters...most folks who came understood the situation, a few got ticked off.

We are always open to constructive ideas...I highlighted one above that might be worth considering, but it would drastically change our fiscal year...yet maybe there is something there we could adopt. Til then we will continue to do the best we can for zero compensation, managing a damn nice facility that has grown extremely popular. We are not planning to add to our member numbers beyond 500 families, as we feel we have it about right now...usually not crowded, almost always clean and orderly.

One message to existing members I see on this forum...NEVER let your membership expire...hundreds of others will gladly take your spot!!!

Sincerely,
    Roger, VP for the Board
    Martinsville Sportsman's Conservation Club
    Martinsville, IN

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I've been a member for 5 years great place. I like how they re-up . Members have 1st chance and that's fair. If you want in all you have to do is get there early enough. Whats 6 or 7 hrs of waiting for 365 days of being able to shoot when ever you want.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    We got there a little after 3:00am & there were 5 cars in front of us.
    Some got out & walked around every once in a while, looked like 1 cooked breakfast or made coffee, the cars all did appear occupied.

That's great! Based on how it went last year I didn't think I'd have a problem, guess I should have come earlier.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If he's cookin bacon for breakfast again next year I'll be there....if I get in, that'll be a bonus...breakfast cooked outdoors on a cold winter morning is always on my bucket list.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Roger, VP for the Board
    Martinsville, IN

Roger,

You guys did a good job. People would be WISE to note that your renewals run about 95%. A little math says somewhere between 20-25 openings will exist on January 1st 2014...the prospects need to plan accordingly. The place has come a long way, and 500 families is a BUNCH of people.

If they want to be assured a spot in 2014, I'd suggest they get there at Midnight on the morning of Jan 1st. You guys might also have someone there at midnight to hand out numbers, and a fire pit might not be a bad idea either.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am pleased with the results.

Yes we got in.

Yes I communicated with someone on the board over the past several months who was very patient & responsive. It is appreciated.

I asked questions so I would know what to expect & tried very hard not to "assume" anything.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Stomping feet

Maybe you should stomp your feet & hold your breath until you pass out. I think sticking to Atterbury is an excellent idea for you.

By the way Spanky, I forgot to mention that since I'm an amputee, it's hard for me to stomp my FEET, since I only have one foot.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Here Here

Roger,

You guys did a good job. People would be WISE to note that your renewals run about 95%. A little math says somewhere between 20-25 openings will exist on January 1st 2014...the prospects need to plan accordingly. The place has come a long way, and 500 families is a BUNCH of people.

If they want to be assured a spot in 2014, I'd suggest they get there at Midnight on the morning of Jan 1st. You guys might also have someone there at midnight to hand out numbers, and a fire pit might not be a bad idea either.
    ^YEP^

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Roger,

I'd be up for staffing a midnight shoot. Why not, right?

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I tried for membership in 2010 by mailing in the fee. That is how it was done then - mailing in your application. I did not make it in time. On Jan 3 2011 I drove to the Martinsville post office handed the clerk my stamped envelope with application form and fees and I made it in. Been a member ever since and always add a few dollars to the membership fee to help out with their projects.
    I spoke to one of the board members back in December asking about membership size and the new range. On the first, it appears that at least one of the reasons the size of the membership is limited is an attempt to minimize waiting times. As I tend to go early in the mornings I've never had to wait for a spot. And the new rifle range will be anywhere from 200 - 300 yards.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    As I tend to go early in the mornings I've never had to wait for a spot. And the new rifle range will be anywhere from 200 - 300 yards.

I tend to go early too but have noticed there seems to be a lot more people using their membership this past year. I only had to wait for an opening once last year at the back pistol bays, but it really seems more crowded than its been the past few years. My shooting times usually stay about the same so more people are shooting or they have switched to the same time I go.

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I tend to go early too but have noticed there seems to be a lot more people using their membership this past year. I only had to wait for an opening once last year at the back pistol bays, but it really seems more crowded than its been the past few years. My shooting times usually stay about the same so more people are shooting or they have switched to the same time I go.

Yep, a bit more crowded. I think of the last 3 or 4 times there as I was leaving, new shooters showed up. Only had to share once on the back bays but ended up yapping with the guy more than shooting. Good bunch of members there.

devastatingpov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Bloomington
    ... if someone really did camp over night, they deserve to get in.

I got there at 8:00 thinking I was smart getting there early, but was turned away from the drive when I arrived. The gentleman told me some people had started waiting the night before and I thought that exact same thing! If you can wait freezing all through NYE, you deserve it.

I wasn't upset, good on them for running a successful conservation club. I knew it was a gamble. I'm going to follow up on some of the other clubs mentioned in this thread. I'm in Bloomington and wish I had opportunities to shoot that were closer to at least Monroe County.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I got there at 8am thinking that I would be fine:rolleyes:. I might try sycamore gun club. I have been there a few times as a guest and it seems pretty nice. The only problem I have with it are the dues. $300 seems like a lot compared to the other ranges and its not exactly close.

Often wondered what is involved in opening a range. I wouldn't think it would be complicated but I am sure I am wrong.

Three letters... EPA... That's why most people don;t run off and just open one.

However, the DNR has free grant money if you're willing to fill out the 30+ page application that's written in lawyer speak...

Then there's zoning....

I've done my homework on this and it's very discouraging.

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    Anyone who didn't make the membership this year might look at Sycamore Valley Gun Club.
    Sycamore Valley Gun Club
    It is a very nice range that has a 25 yard pistol range, 100 and (1) 200 yard rifle range(s) and a trap range. It does cost more but should go down some as property is almost paid for.

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Martinsville Sportsmans Conservation Club 300 M Rifle Range

I'm a member of the board that manages this club and thought I'd give club members who are also INGO members a peak at the new 300 Meter rifle range now under active construction

Home - Martinsville Sportsman's Conservation Club

Scroll down a bit on the home page and you will see a photo taken 3/23/13 of the new range area after logging and initial dozing and excavator work. More work is needed and will continue for a couple more months as the area is wet from runoff and drainage must be constructed. Photo is taken from the vantage of where the shooting house will be looking toward impact area straight down center of photo.

We know it has taken time, but it's now coming along well and will give our club an outstanding 300 meter long rifle range to add to our 100 yard existing rifle range, 3 pistol ranges and shotgun area.

cheers,
    Roger
    VP for the board

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom