• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was thinking (that's trouble right there :):) that those weren't additional memberships, but just the openings they had at the time as an alternative to having people wait in line all night. IIRC, there were 10 memberships and they brought in about $15K, however everything above and beyond the normal (then) $150 membership fee ($100 plus a one-time $50 for the gate pass) was donated to the local 4H shooting program. :yesway:

If we'd have that to do all over again, or ever do, $1000 would be a very nice gift to the local 4H.
    $14K back into the club would be my vote and maybe we wouldn't have had to have a 25% increase in dues as we did this year?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If we'd have that to do all over again, or ever do, $1000 would be a very nice gift to the local 4H.
    $14K back into the club would be my vote and maybe we wouldn't have had to have a 25% increase in dues as we did this year?

I can see your point, but the only downside I see would be that the 10 new members would be contributing "more than their share" so to speak to the club. Don't know if that would sit well with them or not. I can see some thinking, "Why did I have to pay $1400 to join when I'm receiving the same benefits as everyone else that only paid $150 ($175 now)?" I know that effectively it's the same money out of pocket to them, but (I think) the other way, they could at least claim the amount that went to 4H as a tax deduction. :dunno: Not sure how that would work exactly.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't think the buyers at the auction could claim it as a charitable donation as they received.goods for their purchase. Of course I'm not an accountant or tax lawyer and didn't stay in a holiday Inn express last night

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't think the buyers at the auction could claim it as a charitable donation as they received.goods for their purchase. Of course I'm not an accountant or tax lawyer and didn't stay in a holiday Inn express last night

It could probably be done with two receipts... one for the membership dues/gate pass, and one for the "donation". Then again I'm not a tax lawyer or accountant either. Or another possibility is that the club was able to use the donation on their taxes as a business entity.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    IIRC, It was an INGO memeber here got the high bid on the auctioned membership, probably a doctor or some sort paid $1500-1600 for it.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My Father and I were 2 of the 10 that got in on the auction. I can tell you I had the money saved to buy an M1A and used all that $$$ for my membership (buy once cry once). At the time it sucked because I couldnt get the M1A but looking back i am happy i got in. The money went to a good cause and I have a wonderful place to shoot.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    It could probably be done with two receipts... one for the membership dues/gate pass, and one for the "donation". Then again I'm not a tax lawyer or accountant either. Or another possibility is that the club was able to use the donation on their taxes as a business entity.

I am not an attorney or accountant, but my understanding is that you can deduct the value of the "donation" less the tangible value received.

example 1 - I give my church $100, I receive no tangible benefit (i.e. only "spiritual" benefit) then I can claim the full $100.

example 2 - I donate $120 to PBS and they send me a copy of season 5 of Downton Abbey. I somehow determine the fair market value of said DVD set is $30... I can therefore deduct $90

My take is you'd want a single receipt showing both the full amount donated, and listing the dues/gate pass as the "goods/services" received - YMMV

To be clear, any donation over $250 REQUIRES a written receipt from the organization. You do not have to submit this documentation with your taxes, but must have it available in case of audit.

See details here: Publication 1771

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Rather than edit again... read some of the earlier posts for comprehension... as there were two organizations involved, (Club & 4H), then I would think to be deductible, at least one receipt from 4H would be required... not sure whether one from the club would even be needed... I would recommend consulting someone who deals in such matters professionally to be sure.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rather than edit again... read some of the earlier posts for comprehension... as there were two organizations involved, (Club & 4H), then I would think to be deductible, at least one receipt from 4H would be required... not sure whether one from the club would even be needed... I would recommend consulting someone who deals in such matters professionally to be sure.

With the purchase via auction we received 2 receipts and did use it has a deductible

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hmmm I dunno.
    I still can't see it. I can get to everything else no problem. It starts to go and then just stops.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    [h=3]2018 openings???[/h]
    We will use this website to advise if there will be any 2018 new member openings and how that process will work.

We should have this info posted here by Friday 12/29/17.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    As popular as the potential for memberships there seems to be (I, too, am waiting with bated breath), maybe their server can't handle the load of frequent refreshes ;)

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    We have once again had virtually full renewal of existing MSCC members for the year 2018. [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]As a result there will be NO 2018 openings for new members.

Regrets to those hoping this would be the year.

Roger for the Board
    [/FONT]

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Gee, I waited all night and nobody showed up. I thought for sure I'd get in since I was first in line. I guess I'll just have to keep going with my friend Bob. Just joking about Bob. Nice range though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom