• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Man. We totally live in the wrong state if a new Ice Age is coming. Time to start looking for property on the Gulf Coast again. Hurricanes I can deal with. 2 mile high glaciers...yeah, not so much. This is a the most frightening SHTF scenario of all. How do you deal with a continuing snowstorm that dumps 150' of snow on you and doesn't stop? I'd rather have global warming.

Scientists: Mass starvation possible as new Ice Age looms - by Terrence Aym - Helium

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    From the standpoint of our current Solar Cycle 24 (which I follow from the ham radio perspective)...the sun's been a lot less active than it should be for this point. The last time that happened--the so-called "Maunder Minimum"--Europe and North America experienced the Little Ice Age. While not as devastating as what the OP's article proposed, a similar occurrence might have rather profound effects on us.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just ordered $117 worth of merino wool base layer clothing today so rest assured, this will not happen.

If you all would like to take up a collection and help out I will buy a snow blower. That would almost guarantee weather no colder than 50* for the rest of this century.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    So does this mean that we SHOULDN'T buy an electric car?

The sea levels will drop worldwide falling to as much as 370 feet lower than their current levels. The east coast of the United States will extend 100 miles further out, new islands will appear in the Caribbean—and across the globe—and existing islands will gain significant landmass.
    SWEET, we may finally find Atlantis!!! Maybe it's vast amounts of stored energy and knowledge will save mankind!!!!

In all seriousness though, this has sort of been common knowledge as far as I can remember. Just not "mainstream" accepted knowledge. Since there's really nothing we can do about it, what do we do about it? If they say to move south, but the magnetic poles are reversing or shifting, which south do they refer to? Todays south or shifted south being todays north?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So does this mean that we SHOULDN'T buy an electric car?

SWEET, we may finally find Atlantis!!! Maybe it's vast amounts of stored energy and knowledge will save mankind!!!!

In all seriousness though, this has sort of been common knowledge as far as I can remember. Just not "mainstream" accepted knowledge. Since there's really nothing we can do about it, what do we do about it? If they say to move south, but the magnetic poles are reversing or shifting, which south do they refer to? Todays south or shifted south being todays north?
    Even if the poles shift, the South will always be just where it's at today. Mississippi and Alabama aren't going to move anywhere.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    But they will be NORTH of here rather than SOUTH if the poles reverse.
    Yep. But who relies on a compass to drive anywhere? I'd be hopping on the Interstate and hauling butt. Reading the signs. Not a compass. If the poles where to shift the last thing I'd do would be get on a plane, besides TSA wouldn't let me take all my stuff.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I think a huge snow fall would be much more survivable than say, a solar burst that raises the temp here on Earth. Let's face it, temp goes up to 150 degrees, everybody/most pretty much dies, if it snows 50 feet....who knows????:twocents:

Top Bottom