Massad Ayoob - How To Train A New Gun Owner - Critical Mas Episode 12 - Teaching Gun Safety

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Like many trainers Mas covers good detail. However in his handling in the video , In my opinion only, he does not constantly and consistently keep his finger on the frame of the firearm or toy guns. In his text, he speaks of finger on or finger off but does not reference where to put the finger. Positive result education seems better for me to tell the student how and where to do something instead of what not to do. Just me. The finger on frame allows many benefits. It’s the number one reason that noobs can’t rack a slide. No one has showed them how and where to grasp the gun with a good frame finger.

I understand that with limited employees and a larger classroom, safety dictates toy guns. No problem, I eliminated simulated guns 20 years ago as I found it is better to get the student on the gun immediately, after all the more time behind the real gun is what he/she/non binary needs. Also, I’ve seen abuse of the training tool that leads to an associated result of the IAL syndrome. It ain’t loaded.

See you on the range.

Trapper

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    IMHO, John demonstrates the best way to train a noob:

John is very smooth, not intimidating, and very deliberate with a solid outcome for all involved.
    HINT: The actual range time starts at 9m:53s.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    IMHO, John demonstrates the best way to train a noob:

John is very smooth, not intimidating, and very deliberate with a solid outcome for all involved.
    HINT: The actual range time starts at 9m:53s.

While he maintains a good finger presentation he allows the student a poor posture while shooting. If you allow it out of the chute you have to address it later as a bad habit.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    While he maintains a good finger presentation he allows the student a poor posture while shooting. If you allow it out of the chute you have to address it later as a bad habit.
    Good point but...remember, he is dealing with a complete "anti-gun" person who happens to be willing to try again.

Now that she is comfortable holding a gun and not so freaked out by the sound...lesson #2 could be posture.
    (Besides, she he is starting her off with a .22LR and a 9mm. Not much recoil to overcome on those.)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    You should post up some of your own training video for us Jim. :)
    Did oodles back in the day…starting with 8mm then VHS. No one wants to see a fat old shooter training people these days. Gotta be skinny and wear 511 parachute pants to sell the fluff.

Besides many viewers don’t know what they are looking at or what they need to watch for which is a nonexistent problem with Hands On Training.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    As alwa

As always, Mas does a great job explaining the need for training and practice. He is also right that the masses have convinced themselves that they need an AR for interior home defense. Me, not so much. Since my rooms are measured in square feet instead of acre sized rooms in a mansion, I prefer shorter, better mobility arms in the close quarters of my humble home.

My short, easily handled, CQC arms will get me to a longer arm for mass attacks on the perimeter if needed. Agility is a key component in close quarter defense. Just me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom