Massive Mastiff wanders into my BEDROOM.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Just a story to share...
    I rent a bottom floor, and my bedroom door is the entrance to my house. We have a huge yard, and its about 50 yards from the street to the house. I was in my living room on the computer with my glock 41 on my desk next to me, and I heard my bedroom door swing wide open. I grabbed 41, racked one and stood up to see a big @#$ yellow mastiff walking into my bedroom smelling the floor. I calmly said "hey buddy" and he took off like a scared puppy. He probably didnt run because I scared him, but because he smelled the poop filling my boxer briefs. This is the second encounter with this dog, the first while I was walking in the neighborhood with my 3 year old. Animal control is going to pay the owner a visit, because they wouldn't answer when I went to knock and have a friendly conversation. I don't have any idea if this dog is friendly or not, but it's sure big enough to do damage if it wanted to. P.S. I like dogs. But not strange big ones.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Mastiffs are scary animals! I recall once instance when my daughter was about 5 years old and was playing in our backyard. A "neighbor" had 2 mastiffs and I use the term neighbor lightly because we live in a somewhat rural area and their house is a good quarter mile away. Anyway, I look out the window and see this mastiff standing over my daughter who is lying on the ground. I go running out, gun drawn, ready to put the thing down! I'd had fired except I didn't want to risk hitting my kid. About that time the neighbor comes running and shouting "No, no, no! Don't hurt him!!" The dog turned around and ran to the owner at the sound of her voice. Other than my crapped shorts, no damage was done. The dog had knocked my daughter down but only due to its HUGE size. She was OK and, in fact, not really scared.

But the dogs are friggin' scary!

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I have a walk out basement. Went down to do some laundry and damn near jumped back up to the next floor when I saw a giant freakin' tortoise just standing there looking at me. It's still something of a mystery how it all transpired, but unexpected animals in one's house are both unsettling and hilarious. Had it been a mastiff I probably would have had more underwear to clean.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm glad he didn't make a stand and make you shoot him. I'm especially glad your child was not in the mix.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    People need to have better control of their pets. Especially ones capable of mauling a person to death. Just because they're nice to their owners doesn't mean they're nice to strangers, and most owners are idiots and don't get that. I've been bitten a few times because of owners with that attitude (I'm a runner, and dogs like to chase and bite runners)....."oh don't worry, skippy wouldn't hurt a fly (said while dog snarls at me with the hair on its neck sticking strait up and teeth being bared)."

Best bet is for you to go talk to your neighbor. Likely you'll continue to have encounters with the dog since the owners sound like idiots. See if they'll let you spend some time with their dog. Give it some treats, take it on a walk, and make friends. I've had to do this with some of my neighbors dogs since they seem to get loose quite often. Some of them get loose and show up in my garage now. But thats ok now since we're buddies. They get a pet and a treat when they come over.

If that doesn't work, I've had to tell one that since they won't work with me, if I see their dog on my property, I will put it down. I wouldn't actually shoot a dog unless I had to.....but I haven't seen that dog loose since telling that owner that.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Don't blame the dog. Blame the owner. People who let their dogs freely roam the neighborhood are irresponsible. Mastiffs are not bad dogs. The one we had as a pet when I was a kid was the smartest, most well trained dog we ever owned. He was amazing.

I can see where a large dog invading your space would be unsettling, and if the dog had been aggressive or you truly felt threatened you would have been within your rights to shoot it.

Talk to the owner if possible. Having the police or animal control do it is a good idea if they won't talk to you.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Mastiffs are sweet dogs! Kind of funny what happened to you though, what your front door open or cracked or something?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Over the course of a year my neighbor's beautiful and expensive Akita became my dog. The poor dog just got tired of his alcoholic owner's neglect and abuse. The neighbor confronted me several times on the matter but just couldn't understand the concept that he let his dog roam free and that my home was better than his was. The dog was free to leave my couch any time he wanted too.

More than once I explained to him that if he opened his door and let his dog in, and make his dog a sandwich every now and then, I bet his dog would go home! It's not my fault that his dog left home, the dog just needed to live. It needs food. It needs water. It needs a corner of the couch to lay it's head.

The neighbor wouldn't even keep those things for his wife and kids, what did he care for his dog..

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    Working for a local rental company I experienced the "Oh he has never done that before" excuse from dog owners. I delivered heavy equipment and had probably 10 dog encounters in 12 years I was there. 2 of the worst were I became trapped in a porta john by a rottweiler that was as big as a small horse that the owner knew was vicious. The 2nd was delivering a dozer and a big german shepherd came from behind and clamped onto the my calf. No barking or growling. It got a chain boom to the back of the head and I think I nearly killed it. Dogs can be very unpredictable to strangers. They can be the sweetest family dog, but someone else shows up and they are in full protection mode.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Door not locked, round not chambered. Everybody has security lapses every now and then, but hopefully this is a harmless reminder to rethink your protocols.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. It's exactly how I got bit in the ass (literally) by a Vizsla.
    Then the people were upset when they got the hospital bill for the stitches and wound cleaning. I thought I was being nice by not bringing a law suit against them. Apparently they thought I should flip for the medical bill after being bit by their dog..... :dunno:

Working for a local rental company I experienced the "Oh he has never done that before" excuse from dog owners. I delivered heavy equipment and had probably 10 dog encounters in 12 years I was there. 2 of the worst were I became trapped in a porta john by a rottweiler that was as big as a small horse that the owner knew was vicious. The 2nd was delivering a dozer and a big german shepherd came from behind and clamped onto the my calf. No barking or growling. It got a chain boom to the back of the head and I think I nearly killed it. Dogs can be very unpredictable to strangers. They can be the sweetest family dog, but someone else shows up and they are in full protection mode.

Last edited:

bcskypilot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Jan 22, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Our family had a Mastiff and they are amazing animals with great temperament. Happy to hear it scurried off without an issue. As others have said the owner's are the problem.

Top Bottom