• ...and so much more!
  • teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Kicking out a hypothetical here.
    Say I have 250,000 rounds of 7.62x39 and 175,000 rounds of 5.56 NATO.
    What are the problems trying to sell that to another private 'hobbyist' that lives in say, Texas?

What are the limitations/headaches in transferring 500 Colt AR's and 200 Glock 17s from private party in Texas to private party in Indiana? I am not a FFL, and realize that intrastate firearms exchange needs to be handled through an FFL..but what about that quantity?

What if 200 of those Colts could be sold to someone in Canada?
    Is that worth the headache?
    :dunno:
    All hypothetical, of course.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Firearms across state line, as you indicated, must be handled by an FFL.

Selling ammo (not for a lively hood) is treated just like selling any other piece of private property... That said, just because it's legal doesn't mean the 'appearance' of those quantities will be treated as such.

Anytime a dealer transfers more than two handguns to one person, they have to fax a copy of the info to the ATF. I knew a guy who collected German Lugars and he bought a collection of roughly 2 dozen. Within a minute of his FFL faxing the phone was ringing and an agent was asking why John Doe was buying 2 dozen handguns. The FFL explained the collector was buying a bunch of WW2 lugars and that was that...

I can't help but think 200 (or even 20) G17's wouldn't cause a ruckus.

For Canada you'd have to have an export license to send them out of the country. It would have to approved by Canadian officials as well.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    And the FBI didn't get interested in the $2,000,000.00 purchase of Colt M4's that were ultimately going to Hezbollah through Syria. The Feds are watching!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Kicking out a hypothetical here.
    Say I have 250,000 rounds of 7.62x39 and 175,000 rounds of 5.56 NATO.
    What are the problems trying to sell that to another private 'hobbyist' that lives in say, Texas?

:dunno:
    All hypothetical, of course.

Hypothetically, I'd say that you were my new best friend :D

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    What about just dumping them or the ammo at a gun show?
    Private party to private party?
    Like if I currently had 300 Mosins (I don't own a single Mosin in reality), I could sell them all at a gunshow?
    I think gunsamerica or gunbroker might be too much a hassle (because out of state people getting involved).
    (note: not talking of buying to resell, just to dump an existing hypothetical collection built of over the years)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Like if I currently had 300 Mosins (I don't own a single Mosin in reality), I could sell them all at a gunshow?
    I think gunsamerica or gunbroker might be too much a hassle (because out of state people getting involved).
    (note: not talking of buying to resell, just to dump an existing hypothetical collection built of over the years)

Sell them on INGO

:ingo:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

What? No Mosins? Heck, you can by them by the crate. What's wrong with you. Anyone with any disposable income now owns more than one Mosin. :D

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Anytime a dealer transfers more than two handguns to one person, they have to fax a copy of the info to the ATF. I knew a guy who collected German Lugars and he bought a collection of roughly 2 dozen. Within a minute of his FFL faxing the phone was ringing and an agent was asking why John Doe was buying 2 dozen handguns. The FFL explained the collector was buying a bunch of WW2 lugars and that was that...

I can't help but think 200 (or even 20) G17's wouldn't cause a ruckus.

I don't know about that, in doing NICS checks over the phone and through the Internet based E-Check, it only asks for the type of firearm(s) being transferred, and in neither do they ask the quantity. Specifically, the FBI only knows that a handgun, long gun, receiver or a combination of those has been transferred, and not the quantity of each. However, the 4473 only has space to record a certain number of firearms, and I don't know if the form could be amended, or if a separate NICS check would be required for each full 4473. The FBI and ATF have no idea whether the long gun you bought was a Browning Citori or the most evilest of black rifles.

Top Bottom