• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'm interested in participating in some local match or competitive shooting. Never done this before.

I would like to purchase a firearm specifically for this type of shooting.

I have virtually zero experience with any 1911 style. I have experience with polymer type pistols such as Glock, Springfield XD, Smith & Wesson M&P.

What should one look for if shopping for a pistol to be used in match type shooting?

I look forward to your suggestions.:ingo:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    You dont need a new gun to compete. for USPSA you can start off in production class. That is just an "off-the-shelf" gun used in competition. Most people use Glocks, XD's, S&W M&p's...10 rds/magazine.
    As long as you have a holster (most use kydex without retention), a few mag pouches with some extra mags (you probably want at least 4 extra magazines) you are good to go.
    You can also show up to you're local club that is putting on a match to watch and see how everything works, ask the guys there, I'm sure they will be more then happy to help someone interested in joining the shooting sports out with whatever you need.
    IDPA also has a similar class to production (I'm just not sure what they call it)

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    It's a lot of fun, and you really don't need to buy a "game" gun. If you want to, great, but you can have plenty of fun and be somewhat competitive with whatever you have.

I run my M&P357 in USPSA production because it's what I have and I like it. (I'm gonna give IDPA SSP a try next month too)

If I were to buy a "game" specific gun, it'd be any one of the long slide pistols that are specifically marketed for that purpose, e.g. M&P pro or Glock 34/35. I might in the future, but I've got plenty of room to shoot what I have better and for me the $600+ it would cost to get the game gun, a game holster and so forth would be much better spent on practice. I can spend that money on a shiny new gun and still be slow, or spend it on ammo and range time and be slightly less slow. :): I'll take slightly less slow over a shiny new gun any day. My $.02, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Anyway, the specific game gun to buy is going to depend alot on what divisions you want to shoot. Production, limited, limited10, open, or single stack. If you don't know which division you're going to shoot in, you should probably figure that out and then it'll be easier to get recs on the appropriate game gun for that particular division.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What should one look for if shopping for a pistol to be used in match type shooting?

One should take the pistol they already own to a match. Once one has a couple of matches worth of experience then go buy the gun they WANT for use in the division they WANT to shoot based on what they learned/saw/experienced at their first couple of matches.

Just show up with a pistol, enough mags to hold 40-50 rounds per stage, a safe belt holster that covers the trigger, and worry about equipment later.

-rvb

ps. there is a whole forum for competition shooting. You'll get better responses there.

If you are interested in practical shooting:

USPSA:
    uspsa.org has nearly everything you need to know located on it's web page, including a tool that gives you info on all the participating clubs in your state.

There are also links to the steel challenge website from uspsa.org

For a summary of the sport:
    http://uspsa.org/dw/whatis.html

What you need to start:
    http://uspsa.org/dw/gettingstarted.html

The rules to determine if your gear is legal:
    (note there is a list of approved guns for production division)
    http://uspsa.org/rules

They'll even send you an information packet:
    http://uspsa.org/dw/moreinfo.html

IDPA:
    IDPA.com has less info, but they do also have a club locator.

Here is a summary of the game:
    http://idpa.com/dps_info.asp

Here is the idpa rule book to determine if your gear is legal:
    http://idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

-rvb

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I was in the same boat as you...I called the number of the guy in charge of the match and he loaned me the mags and pouches...but thats what you need to spend money on to start . Just use the gun you have, and go have fun. I didnt plan on doing well and i didnt' but had a blast, and everyone was helpful. I have since taken some classes From ACT by " coach " and that has been money well spent. Got some well needed experience along with some great coaching. Just don't say I will just wait and go next time...GO to the next match...if you are one of those guys who wants to go watch first..grap your ear and eye protection and get going. Just go !

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    I went to my first match this month, had a blast! I ended up borrowing a mag pouch, and had one of my own, carrying 3 mags on my belt and a couple in my pocket worked out just fine. Don't try to go fast, just show up, shoot, have a good time, and try to watch and learn from those around you.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for all the suggestions, information and links to learn about match shooting.:yesway:

This is one of the things that makes INGO stand out; it's the knowledge and information that others are willing to share to teach others. Knowledge is power!

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    IDPA is good for beginners; very loose regulations as far as what guns you are allowed to use. As long as its a 9mm or bigger and not too large to conceal under a light jacket, you're good to go. The one I went to near here, everyone was more than willing to help the new guys out with the rules and regulations of the course, and would have loaned equipment if I had needed it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm not a big fan of striker fired pistols to be honest. However, I kept my Dads M&P 9 Pro in case I'm able to make it to some matches, and to use at Friday night steel. I like a hammer fired pistols, but for competiton, I want a consistent trigger pull.

Top Bottom