• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I'm not going to ask for the answer, I just want to be absolutely positive I did the question correctly so if one of you in the audience would "proof read" my answer/work and let me know if I did it right I would appreciate it. If I did something wrong, let me know.

I've got a graphing y=mx+b problem to this part: -3y<-9x-12. I am wondering, when I divide the -3 from the y to get y by itself and put the -3 onto the -9x, will I have -9/-3? Or will I have 9/3 because the negatives cancel each other out?

And right after I post I realize that the answer would be: y>3-4. Yeah not the best at math, the little things get me. I'm more of history and literature guy. :):

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I hate math. When it came time for me to help my kids with their high school math, I actually went out and bought the teacher's version of their books so I could help them figure it out and see if the answers were right.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not going to ask for the answer, I just want to be absolutely positive I did the question correctly so if one of you in the audience would "proof read" my answer/work and let me know if I did it right I would appreciate it. If I did something wrong, let me know.

I've got a graphing y=mx+b problem to this part: -3y<-9x-12. I am wondering, when I divide the -3 from the y to get y by itself and put the -3 onto the -9x, will I have -9/-3? Or will I have 9/3 because the negatives cancel each other out?

And right after I post I realize that the answer would be: y>3-4. Yeah not the best at math, the little things get me. I'm more of history and literature guy. :):

You are on the right track. You can divide both sides of the equation by (-3).

That gives you y < 3x + 4. (remember that dividing a negative by a negative = a postive).

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Start by dividing by the 3, you get -y<-3x-4. Then the -1, you get y>3x+4. The -1 flips the whole graph upside down. Your constant is -12, so it gets divided by -3 yielding +4. Can't really explain it without the answer.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    The answer is bacon.

dont worry

images

images

images

images

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I know that feel. I can't math either. Just think, if you're lucky you might get to take more than 4-5 math courses in college. Try getting a professor to explain something that wasn't ever properly explained or you somehow didn't grasp. Most I've known haven't been very patient.

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Not only do you have to devide the -9x by -3 but you also have to devide the -12 by -3 because whatever you do to one side of the inequality you have to do to the other side equally.

First you have to devide the -3 form both sides of the ineqality so you will have y<3x+4. Like this -3y/-3<-9x/-3 - 12/-3
    which is
    y<3x+4
    Remember to watch you signs.
    A negative number multiplied/devided by a negative number is always positive.
    There is not enough information to answer the inequality any further. You can graph the inequality if you use the substitution method to find the values for x and y.

For instance
    xly
    1l7
    -1l1

If you substitute x with 1 y=7

if you substitute x with 0 y=4

I hope this helps!

Like someone above mentioned it is hard to help with out showing the answer. Good Luck!

Top Bottom