SW Indiana
    As Rodney would say..... 4?

rodneyd_zps296491e5.jpg

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    So in your opinion are math courses in school harder today than they were back when you guys were in middle school. Seeing as this is only one problem though I'm not sure it's a fair question.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I said that for you guys :rolleyes: Also it would have been pretty embarrassing if my work was wrong right? :D

Sepe the point wasn't for me to get the answer. It was to see if all the post online about math being harder back then being true.

It would be hard to say if it was harder back in the day. From the sounds of most kids, even putting socks on in the morning is almost impossible (with most having to take a break to post about it on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).

As to it being harder, I know plenty of older people that have problems with looking at algebra or geometry in a book but when it comes to building and blueprints, it is simple. They were taught practical applications.

As far as teaching theorems and proofs, it probably was a lot harder. I remember in high school we had to memorize proofs and theorems but when forced to take repeat math classes in college, they were never mentioned. I was helping my niece with math homework (she was a junior in high school at the time) and I don't remember seeing them mentioned in the book. She said they weren't allowed to do all the work for exams on paper, suppose to use calculators. There is not much teaching the material any more...mostly teaching for tests.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Ask a college student today to integrate or differentiate in their heads with out using a calculator or maple or mathematica and you will see that math was harder. But they can now make the problems much more complicated to solve and require a computer so it's a bit different.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My placemat scribbling tells me I can factor out a 2 and the remaining polynomial is prime and can't be factored any further.

10x^2– 12x – 10 = 2 (5x^2 – 6x – 5)

CLR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    10X^2-12X-10

Factor this trinomial. I have seen allot of post on the web about how math is easier today than it was in the past. How many of you can do this without cheating?

quadratic equation... [-b +- (b^2-4ac)]/2a

where ax^2+bx+c.

Turns out to be imaginary...
    The-more-you-know.png

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    What the hell does this sign ^ mean?

It has been many yrs but I kicked ass on the SATs and passed Calc, physics and econ in college and I do not remember that sign. + = - * / ( ) and square root all make sense but im stuck on that sign.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

It has been many yrs but I kicked ass on the SATs and passed Calc, physics and econ in college and I do not remember that sign. + = - * / ( ) and square root all make sense but im stuck on that sign.

^ means the former number is raised to the power of the later number...

3^2 means 3 squared.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

It's used to imply an exponent.

For instance, X^2 = X*X

It's an ascii workaround that's been in place for . . . decades. Some calculators even use it for the same function because of that convention!

Top Bottom