• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    So I've been looking at both these rifles and I don't know much about them yet. How do I know what to buy, like which ones to buy and which ones to stay away from?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like them both, although I've been more interested in Mausers lately. Other than general condition (bores especially), I don't know of any I would stay away from. They're different animals though. The Mosins are workhorse rifles... very simple and rugged design. That's not to say that the Mausers aren't, but they're a little more refined than the Mosins. The Mauser action has been the basis for the design of most modern bolt action rifles, so I think that speaks volumes. If you're able, try one of each! Some Mausers are fairly expensive (the rarer or more desireable ones), but you can still find Turkish, Czech and Yugoslavian rifles for not much more than the price of a Mosin 91/30. 8mm surplus ammo is still readily available and relatively cheap. Like the 7.62x54R surplus, most of it is corrosive, but that's not a big deal other than requiring that you clean your rifle as soon as possible after shooting. A good "rinse" at the range, and you're good to go until you can do a regular cleaning at home. 8mm is the most popular of the Mauser calibers, but there is a lot of variety. I own them in 8mm, 7.65x53 Argentine, 7mm, 6.5x55 and 7.62 NATO. The nice thing about the 7.62 NATO is that the ammo isn't going away any time soon.

Here are a couple of good sites for info...

For Mosins - 7.62x54r.net
    For Mausers - Mauser Central ? Index page

blazer1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    South Bend
    I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle. I would check the bore make sure its in good shape and not pitted and do the bullet test.

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    Lol I want both. What my question meant was which Mauser would i want over the other and which mosin do I want. Like it's there any brands that weren't good quality? I want the 8mm Mauser for sure

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lol I want both. What my question meant was which Mauser would i want over the other and which mosin do I want. Like it's there any brands that weren't good quality? I want the 8mm Mauser for sure

Short answer is "no". :) Condition is everything really. As long as the rifle is sound (stock isn't cracked through, headspace okay, no other mechanical issues), then it's going to be okay. Going with the 8mm, a Turk is a good entry level Mauser simply because they're probably the least expensive. You should be able to find one for around 150 bucks... certainly less than 200. Likewise, a Mosin 91/30 is a good entry level rifle in that flavor, although the Chinese T53 carbines (Chinese copy of the M44), while usually pretty rough on the outside, can be great little shooters, and they're not much more expensive than the 91/30.

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    Short answer is "no". :) Condition is everything really. As long as the rifle is sound (stock isn't cracked through, headspace okay, no other mechanical issues), then it's going to be okay. Going with the 8mm, a Turk is a good entry level Mauser simply because they're probably the least expensive. You should be able to find one for around 150 bucks... certainly less than 200. Likewise, a Mosin 91/30 is a good entry level rifle in that flavor, although the Chinese T53 carbines (Chinese copy of the M44), while usually pretty rough on the outside, can be great little shooters, and they're not much more expensive than the 91/30.

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated!!

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I agree the Type 53 is a great shooter with an even better price. One day people are going to catch on how well these rifles really are and I am sure the price will go up.

ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I was told when looking at Mosins to check the date on the receiver. Generally you want to look for something pre 42. Apparently you can see more machining flaws and a little less quality control after that date because they were trying to push them out and their factories were getting hit more. Not sure how much of this is accurate but it makes sense.

I would just say find one with a good bore, a good stock that you like (color, grain, etc..), and then look over the receiver, bolt, and machined areas for any major flaws.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    ...which ones to buy?

The correct answer: "One of each!"

Seriously...if you're only going to get one or two, the classic Mosin-Nagant 91/30. I've got a 1942 91/30pu sniper repo you can sometimes find for around $400. It is a bunch of fun to shoot!

Izzy9130pu9130M1895.jpg

Would these gals steer you wrong?
    RussianWWIILadySnipers.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was told when looking at Mosins to check the date on the receiver. Generally you want to look for something pre 42. Apparently you can see more machining flaws and a little less quality control after that date because they were trying to push them out and their factories were getting hit more. Not sure how much of this is accurate but it makes sense.

I would just say find one with a good bore, a good stock that you like (color, grain, etc..), and then look over the receiver, bolt, and machined areas for any major flaws.
    This is true, although the differences are cosmetic. They didn't skimp on the bores or any of the functional details, but you can see the machining (lathe) marks on the barrels, etc.. I've had both, and the "war time" rifle shot just as well as the pre-war. Like you said, getting one with a good bore is the key.

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    I think the Yugo mausers are the best deal right now. A little more money will get you a nice M39 Finnish Mosin. However I've sold my mosins and still have 3 M48s.

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    The correct answer: "One of each!"

Seriously...if you're only going to get one or two, the classic Mosin-Nagant 91/30. I've got a 1942 91/30pu sniper repo you can sometimes find for around $400. It is a bunch of fun to shoot!

Izzy9130pu9130M1895.jpg

very nice id like to have one!! cant wait to get one

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    I think the Yugo mausers are the best deal right now. A little more money will get you a nice M39 Finnish Mosin. However I've sold my mosins and still have 3 M48s.

I agree. If the OP wants an 8mm Mauser as he said, he should look for a Yugo model 24/47 or an M48. You should be able to find either model in good condition in the range of $200 to $300.
    And if you look really hard, you might find a Yugo captured and refurbed German K98k.

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    I was at Dunhams and they had Mitchell's Mausers. Does anyone know anything about these? I know they are german made and are 8mm from what the guy told me. They are like $400-$500 if I remember right.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Might also want to a consider a Swede. Very accurate, very well made rifles. Also, they are easy on the shoulder, a person can shoot a bunch without any pain.

I was at Dunhams and they had Mitchell's Mausers. Does anyone know anything about these? I know they are german made and are 8mm from what the guy told me. They are like $400-$500 if I remember right.

I wouldn't touch a Mitchell's with a 10 foot pole. Take their advertising with a 50 lb bag of salt. Most of what they sell are Soviet captured rifles that have been refinished and restamped to match then sold as new.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN

Do not waste money on a Mitchell's mauser. They are terribly overpriced for what you get. Mitchell's is known to grind off serial numbers on some parts and re-stamp them to get a "matching gun. As I said abbove, the Yugo M48 or 24/47 are good deals. Doesn't Dunham's have them anymore? There are no Dunhams in my area.

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    No, he's saying that a "Nagant" is not the same thing as a "Mosin Nagant". A Nagant is, literally, a pistol. A Mosin Nagant is a rifle.

Nagant:
    goc3hpI.jpg

Mosin Nagant:
    lFiEPpr.jpg

Oh wow I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. I feel like a dummy now lmao. At least I learned something new

Top Bottom