• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have an 8mm Mauser action that my grandfather brought back from France after the war. I would like to have it built into a .308, 30-06, or .270. It will need a high quality barrel and whatever fine tuning is required to get it into shooting condition. It will also need blued. I want a very well finished wood stock. I have some wood that is dried that could be used but I'm not set on it. Basically I'm looking to build a rifle that is functional and visually appealing that will always stay in the family.

Where is the best place to go in the Indy area to have this done? Or will I need to go to a few places for different parts? How much would a Mauser build normally cost?

Thanks

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Wow really hate to see bring backs butchered up,if its all still original maybe you should see as to value of the rifle. Some k98's are can be pretty valuable!!! But i am a collector so take that into consideration:twocents:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It would have to be pretty rough for me to do that to one. Doing a sporterized Mauser is one of my bucket list things. I just haven't found a beat up enough rifle yet.

But it is your rifle.

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well he had six guns with him when he was coming home. Someone told him he could only bring two back and he had to leave the others. He brought a complete Mauser and a Vis. He was also able to bring just a Mauser action. This build will be around that action.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    20 years ago I could have given you a few names in the Indy area, but they are all retired now. I have found from painful experience that it is real easy to find somebody that will say they can do it, but they are actually going to use your action as a learning experience, so be very careful that whoever you use has a verifiable track record. You probably already know that, or you wouldn't be asking for recommendations, but I wanted to say it anyway!

Here is a list of some recommended names, you may be better off being willing to go with one of these people or seeing if one of them can recommend somebody closer to home. Good luck! Mauser Central your Restoring and Sporterizing Resource

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm a collector, but your grandfather brought this back and it's not a complete rifle. I cannot point you in an direction, but am glad you are considering this.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I do not know any smiths near Indy to recommend, but here is some important info.
    The 8 X 57 Mauser magazine/action is just a little too short to fit and feed .30-06 or .270 without extensive modification.
    .308 is short enough but also requires modification of the feeding system. It takes a really skilled gunsmith to perform this work.
    Any cartridge based on the 8X57 feeds very well. One of the most popular is .257 Roberts.

Last edited:

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    I know you specified around Indy, but Claude Wright (Fern Creek Gunsmith) in Louisville had done many of these conversions and really knows his stuff. I have one converted to 308 and love it. No he did not due mine I acquired it already done but have discussed doing another one with him, and may some day get him going on it. His turnaround time is slow but it is worth the wait in my opinion.

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the help everyone. I will contact a few people and see what I can come up with. I'm not in a hurry with the build so if something new comes up let me know.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What's wrong with keeping it a 8mm? You can refinish the wood and metal and have what you want. A functional and visually appealing firearm.

My brother has a German Mauser that my father(German WWII vet) passed on to him when he died. Now granted, it is in such good condition that it doesn't need any work but we all hunted with it as we grew up. And my brother will still hunt with it occasionally for nostalgia. Great firearm. And accurate.

Top Bottom