• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have always had a thing for Mauser rifles and have decided to restore or sporterize one for a winter project. I currently have an all matching #'s Swedish 96 that I bought 20 years ago as a sporter project, but it is way too nice to alter.

My current quest is to find a decent rifle to start with. I can find just about any model ever made on GunBroker, but I am kind of leary about buying a 100+ year old rifle based on a sellers "honest" description. Does anyone have any advice about which models currently available would be my best platform and is there any local dealers or shops around that have some currently in stock?

Thanks in advance

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A sporterized Mauser can be a fun gun, starting with any older military surplus gun the biggest consideration is the condition of the barrel. These where shot with corrosive ammo for the most part and many rifles have pretty rough bores. Ammo costs can be another factor, 8mm Mauser ammo is still available as surplus for plinking and there are plenty of brands of modern ammo for more serious use.

45372370-25ea-49ac-956d-95fab8dfc4bf_zps2413e218.jpg

mine can use either a Gibbs 3 round detachable mag or a 20 round trench magazine

projectm3round.jpg
    mausermag3-1.jpg

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    A sporterized Mauser can be a fun gun, starting with any older military surplus gun the biggest consideration is the condition of the barrel. These where shot with corrosive ammo for the most part and many rifles have pretty rough bores. Ammo costs can be another factor, 8mm Mauser ammo is still available as surplus for plinking and there are plenty of brands of modern ammo for more serious use.

45372370-25ea-49ac-956d-95fab8dfc4bf_zps2413e218.jpg

mine can use either a Gibbs 3 round detachable mag or a 20 round trench magazine

projectm3round.jpg
    mausermag3-1.jpg

I figure that as long as I can find a good a good bolt/action assembly, I can replace the barrel if need be. Of course finding a good barrel would be a huge plus

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Dumoulin Mauser Action These are fantastic if budget is not an issue.

1893 Mauser Action Much cheaper, but there aren't as many options for it as for the 98 Mausers.

As a collector I encourage you to find an already sporterized Mauser to work with. I see plenty of Swedes in the $250-$350 range that have already been chopped down and are an excellent base to build on. Hoosier Gun Works usually has various Mauser receivers in stock so might check them out as well.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Buy the Mauser Rifles Shop Manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen and you will have the best Mauser rifle resource available. It is worth the money. I prefer the VZ24 actions for builds or if you can get one the G33/40.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I don't want to chop up a collector rifle. My goal is to find a winter project rifle. If I end up with something that is mostly original configuration with a good action and barrel, I will most likely try to restore it. If I find a great action with a bad barrel or something already sporterized, then I will try to create a something that my grandchildren will be proud to own.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Since I am a newbie with less than 50 posts, I cannot reply to those sending me PM's. I very much appreciate the tips and comments so please do not think that I am ignoring you. If you want me to reply to your PM's, you will have to include another way for me to communicate with you. Thanks:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you can find a Turkish Mauser with a decent bore, they're relatively inexpensive compared to some of the other varieties. And actually if you're considering a re-barrel, then the bore wouldn't matter as much. Of course most that you find are the long guns so you may need to cut the barrel down to make it a sporter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Has that rifle been re-barreled, or just cut down and re-chambered, DD?

Well, now that you mention it, I don't really know. I just assumed it was re-barreled but maybe it was just re-chambered, although the 7.65 bore is slightly larger than the 30-06 (I think it uses a .311 projectile), and this thing is a tack driver, so I'm leaning toward re-barreled.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    This one was already sporterized when I got it, but it started out as an Argentine 1909 (7.65x53), re-barreled as a 30-06.

That is a work of art. I have always loved those full length stocks. I had a '95 chambered in .257 Roberts with that style stock. Still kicking myself for letting it go.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is a work of art. I have always loved those full length stocks. I had a '95 chambered in .257 Roberts with that style stock. Still kicking myself for letting it go.

I didn't used to care for the Mannlicher stocks but they have really grown on me now. And the more I look at it, I think mkgr22 is probably correct in that it was rechambered and not re-barreled. I'm saying this because the barrel is "stepped down" like the military barrels are. At any rate, whoever did the work did a really nice job. It's got a 2 lb. Timney trigger in it that is just sweet as can be. It actually startled me the first time I shot it. I was always used to the heavier milsurp triggers and compared to those it seemed like I just had to touch it to fire. :):

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Well, now that you mention it, I don't really know. I just assumed it was re-barreled but maybe it was just re-chambered, although the 7.65 bore is slightly larger than the 30-06 (I think it uses a .311 projectile), and this thing is a tack driver, so I'm leaning toward re-barreled.

Well. it's a military mauser stepped barrel, still wearing the military rear sight.

What markings are on the left side?

It is a very pretty rifle!!!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    They are fun to play with. I found an old Spanish one for fifty bucks in pretty solid shape all complete. I cleaned it up shot it a bunch and sold it for 300. Used to be able to buy 8mm real cheap. Got tired of corrosive ammo and barrel was looking rough.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Well...I picked up a Chilean 95 long rifle on GB yesterday. Its not exactly what I had planned on. This one is a really nice matching numbers original rifle. So, I will clean it up, check the head spacing and put it in the safe to live a pampered life. I'll post pictures when it arrives.

The quest continues:D

Top Bottom