• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Sold by Mossberg. Not sure if it's a stripped down ATR or if it's imported and badged Maverick. Heck - for $200 i'd probably buy one - although for just a bit more you could get into a Savage Edge, Stevens 200, or a Remington 770 - and those are known quantities.

uncleslim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    The Maverick is built in Eagle Pass, Texas. The company is Maverick Arms. They are owned by Mossberg. I called Mossberg and was told that the Maverick was identical to the ATR, except that it did not have the Lightning trigger. Also, the ATR rifle is also built in the Eagle Pass Plant.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Any INGO gun shops able to order one of these? This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for (a .308 bolt gun) for a whole lot less than I thought I would have to spend

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Any INGO gun shops able to order one of these? This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for (a .308 bolt gun) for a whole lot less than I thought I would have to spend

I second this request! Very interested!

I have done quite a bit of looking around on these: Very good rifles for the money, decent barrels, but string pretty bad if shot too fast (actually, at "normal" intervals), indicating either a poor barrel or poor heat treat.

$40 cryotreat would take care of that and I would have something worth more than paid for total (not to mention I need an inexpensive .308 to burn up the cases of 7.62 Radway I have stashed around).

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I second this request! Very interested!

I have done quite a bit of looking around on these: Very good rifles for the money, decent barrels, but string pretty bad if shot too fast (actually, at "normal" intervals), indicating either a poor barrel or poor heat treat.

$40 cryotreat would take care of that and I would have something worth more than paid for total (not to mention I need an inexpensive .308 to burn up the cases of 7.62 Radway I have stashed around).

Please explain "string"? Sorry for the dumb question, but my sleepy brain wants to know

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I don't know what generation it is on, but Raptor actions are and have always been complete garbage regardless of the name stamped on their side. I'd have to lose a monster of a bet to even shoot one, much less buy it.

But I doubt anyone could make a rifle cheaply enough to keep it from selling.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Please explain "string"? Sorry for the dumb question, but my sleepy brain wants to know

Instead of hitting in a group, the rounds hit up/down or side/side from point of aim. Heat stringing can occur when a rifle gets hot enough, causing inaccuracy issues from things like ammo variation due to temp, metal misalignment, stock warp due to heat, bedding issues, etc... If everything is good, heat stringing is overshooting past the barrel's cooling speed and the barrel metal itself warps enough to causse inaccuracy. The metal itself has "stress" hammered into it during forging, which becomes apparent when shooting very hot. Cheap barrels aren't usually heat treated right (cost savings) and can get inaccurate very quick when shot too hot.

Or at least that is how it was described to me. Mini-14s have this issue due to the thinness of the barrel. Cryotreating, or dipping the metal in VERY cold medium, helps this. Can't remember if it "realigns" the metal or gets rid of stresses built up in the barrel forging process.. :(

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't know what generation it is on, but Raptor actions are and have always been complete garbage regardless of the name stamped on their side. I'd have to lose a monster of a bet to even shoot one, much less buy it.

But I doubt anyone could make a rifle cheaply enough to keep it from selling.

Please back this up! :D As a potential consumer of the Mossberg rifle, would like to know verifiable information why it is 'crap'. :dunno:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

Seems to have a lot of "cast" parts, plus the trigger guard is polymer. (just playing devil's advocate here :D ). But for the price and intended usage, I still see NOTHING that would deter me from the rifle at that price point.

Right now, it's a runoff in my mind, between the Smith Ibolt (not in .308, sort of a disqualifier for my needs), Howa 1500 (not priced well locally, would have to get from online), the TOZ-122 .308 Tula made rifle (good reviews so far, but nothing actually detailed) and the Mossberg/Maverick rifles (looking better by the moment).

The TOZ is looking like the clear winner, chromed bore, open sights plus scope mount, handy bolt rifle. I like the Howas but they are higher in price (looking for a budget blaster). The Mossy/Mavy looks great, sounds good, but need to know why it's "crap" in some minds before making my decision. I am veering towards the Mossy/Mavy also due to parts and service being stateside, unlike the TOZ which may not come with any warantee or parts! :)

I want to get an Ishapore again, but every dealer either wants WAY too much for it or the rifle has some issues that I noticed prepurchase (such as damaged sights, broken firing pins, damaged bolts, etc... one would figure a store would CHECK for this crap before shelving the darn thing...)

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    So is the Mav a re-labeled raptor then?

Has anyone had any first had experience with them to see if they have been assembled properly? After reading the link posted above about the bolt being poorly designed I'm a little leery now...

Hemicharger: care to volunteer some photos of the one at the store?

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I dont have a camera with me but it has a matte black synthetic stock with a 22" barrel. It also comes with scope mounts from the factory.

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    I have a rain check from Dunhams for one (Mossberg Maverick) in .243 at $189.99. I will be picking it up sometime around Thanksgiving and will let you all know what I think when I've sent some rounds downrange.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Ok, I know this is a really old thread but I'm bringing it back because I can't seem to find much info on the Maverick rifles by mossberg, neither good or bad, so here it is, I got one available to me new at $200 and am wanting more information about them, who knows what?

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    The .243 I bought grouped at about an inch at 100yds with the first load I tried. Trigger was decent, feeding and extraction were very positive. I would definitely buy another.

Top Bottom