• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a safe queen shotgun that is almost 100 years of age and I have finally retired it at the request of my grandfather. So that now puts me on the hunt for a home defense and recreational shooter. I am putting a small budget on it because I don't see the point in a full tactical version at upwards of $600. I know Maverick is basically a Mossberg 500 but with the cheap plastic parts. But, the RIA is still a little new and looks like a good shooter.

Who has one of either or has shot both and what do you guys think? Please don't comment that I should buy a better shotgun.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    my first gun was a Maverick 88, still have it, still shoots just fine. I usually outshoot remingtons and mossbergs at the clay range.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Sorry for the hijack op, but just wanted to let you know of a few more options in your price range.
    That said I've owned a couple Mavs thru the years and had no real complaints. Mine worked ok, no issues with function.
    There are multitudes of Mavs out there. It's made by Mossberg and a lot of 500 parts will fit, esp barrels and stocks.
    I've looked at the Armscor shotty , it looks like a bargain for what you get but I just couldn't find out enough about them so I passed. The usual places I look for reviews include large volume dealers like Bud's, Academy, Cabelas, CTD ,etc. Reviews here were hard to come by,either the RIA wasn't stocked or if it was had few or no reviews. This indicated to me the RIA wasn't a big seller, this doesn't mean it's a bad gun but the other better known selections like the Maverick and or the various Norinco guns seem like less of a gamble. You've likely already seen them but JIC not there are some links below regarding the Armscor/RIA

https://www.google.com/#q=armscor+m5

Armscor/Rock Island Armory Matte Nickel M5 12 Gauge Fighting Shotgun

Self-Defense Shotguns: FN’s Police Handily Beats Armscor

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I have fondled both the RIA and the Maverick, and I would go for the Maverick. The RIA just didn't seem as well put together as the Maverick did.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I bought a used Maverick 88 several years ago at a local gun shop. When i tried it out, it would fire but would not eject a shell. Took it back to gun shop, told them the problem, and they said thats strange, the last guy said the same thing. They gave me my money back, but I would never buy another Maverick or used gun from them again.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    A Rem 870 Turkey express with a $60 extended Mag is one heck of a firearm, I've had the maverik 88 for about a week, I didn't trust it to run the second box of shells through it, the lock up was iffy

I know this forum goes back and forth all the time over the Fanboy's of the 870's and all other pumps But that put aside the price difference is not much and you get to buy from an american company that stands behind their product

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    I have a IAC hawk 12 with ghost ring sights and I love it,its a little on the heavy side but shoots great and I got it on sale for 180 out the door, can't beat it for a basic home defense shotty if you ask me.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I don't know what a Maverick cost, but around these parts one can fairly easily locate a perfectly serviceable used Rem 870 or Mossy 500 for under $300.

Top Bottom