• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It all depends on what it is, why and how badly I want it. I like a deal as much as the next guy but I'd love to have a couple of nice double rifles too...and the ammo for some of those is more for a box of 20 than some guns.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I rarely (read: never) spend "our" money on guns. When I get something, the money comes from selling a different gun, gifts, doing some side work, ect. Three kids 3 and under have us on a strict budget.

With that being said, the two pistols I own are both <$450, but I've got a couple of rifles with close to $2000 in them. I tend to research research research until I know what I want, then shop around till I find the best price. That way when I sell, I know I won't be losing money, and usually make a little.

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    I don't have a big budget but I am willing to pay for quality. That's why I love when the shops have lay a way. Seems a little better when you aren't dropping all the cash at once.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I rarely (read: never) spend "our" money on guns. When I get something, the money comes from selling a different gun, gifts, doing some side work, ect. Three kids 3 and under have us on a strict budget.

With that being said, the two pistols I own are both <$450, but I've got a couple of rifles with close to $2000 in them. I tend to research research research until I know what I want, then shop around till I find the best price. That way when I sell, I know I won't be losing money, and usually make a little.

I have always supported any hobby/passion outside our set budget. Family 1st.
    Side work. This is how I do pretty much everything for personal purchases.

Last edited:

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    It Takes Money To Have Fun

For handguns I don't see the need to spend over $800. Like many others have mentioned, after some upgrades, I wouldn't be that upset if it was $1000 once it was completed. Out of my half dozen handguns, my $700 1911 was the most expensive and sadly, I shoot it the least. Right around $500 is my comfort zone for handguns as many reputable, reliable brands are in that range. For rifles/shotguns it all depends on caliber. I don't have any factory larger caliber rifles, but somewhere in the $700-$900 range would satisfy my needs. My really nice .22 was over $350 and my dad thought I was crazy to pay that, but it was what I wanted (CZ 452). I'm not sure that he ever paid over $250 in his lifetime for a .22. Where I got into trouble was building my first AR. I knew going in that it would be over $1000. In the end it was $1700, with a nice optic and the majority of the bells and whistles. I am happy and I could justify spending a couple hundred out of each paycheck when I was working 60+ hrs at the time. I'll continue buying quality, mid range guns, as I see the need. I will always do my research beforehand and make at least a half educated purchase. This is the same technique when buying baitcasting rod/reel setups for bass fishing. $200 reel and $100 rod are perfect for my needs and wants, compared to $500 for each.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I never paid over $500 for a handgun. A couple have come close, but never over. I have traded for a few that are easily over that, but never gave up the cash. I am currently looking at a Ruger SR1911 light weight commander. If my wife gets her house, I will drop the cash on the Ruger. Rifles, I don't really know where my limit is. I collect Finnish Mosins and the prices are getting high on some of the ones I still want.

Top Bottom