• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I like the Lucas products. I use both the grease and the extreme duty synthetic oil. Someone gave me a sample at a steel challenge match and I just have seen good results.

The other product I like is Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube.
    Grease if it slides. Oil if it rotates. It ain't rocket surgery.
    This^

With the exception that I use little or no grease in .22lr guns. Just too much crap that collects in those.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    If it slides grease if it spins oil. What I was taught and always stuck by it.

As for what grease I use? Lubricate food grade cs-fg. -45 to 450f operating temp. And I've been using the same tube for about a decade now.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I must be doing it wrong. I am still using the same 12oz. can of gun oil I got in a kit from Walmart (or similar) 30 years ago. I apply with q-tips, and wipe with another slightly oiled q-tip to prevent any excess. A little lube assists moving parts. More than necessary just collects gunk.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not necessarily. A lot of it depends on how you shoot. Some guys shoot 500-1000 rounds in a trip on their pistol. Their lube requirement is going to be different than someone that puts a couple mags through the gun before moving on to another one. For some of us a couple thousand rounds on a gun is a high round count. For some, that is just the break in period.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Grease, same as grillak above. I bought a little tub and also a syringe of it and just the syringe will last me forever.
    Slip2000 EWG.
    It can look dirty, but as someone above posted it holds the contaminants instead of spreading them around, I believe. Not a huge deal but you know the grease is still there.
    Grease can be more troublesome in cold temps, but most don't go out and shoot 300 rounds in 20 degree weather, and if your carrying, probably under a coat, maybe even next to your body it will not be an issue in a self defense scenario.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Just go to your local auto parts store. Use only on the slide.

View attachment 246376
    I think this should be in purple.
    No offense, but no way.

First of all, I get enough of that crap on my hands at work, its hard to get off, it gets everywhere, and I certainly don't want it on my holsters and clothes.

Second, I have a hard time believing it's a proper lubricant for quickly moving parts. It's designed for long term, one time in, one time out, anti-corrosion.

That's just me though.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    churchmouse liked to use Lucas Engine Assembly Lube on parts of his 1911. That's what I bought and use on mine.
    Piggybacking off this. I do believe there are good firearms lubricants on the market. I also believe a lot of them are snake oil. A $7 quart of a quality engine oil will be more than sufficient. If that oil will protect metal on metal at 1500-7000rpms and at ambient temperatures from -40 to 120 then I'd say it'll handle the firing schedule of a gun

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Make sure you thin the Permatec Engine Assembly Lube slightly with some Mobile 1. A 1911 doesn't need grease anywhere.
    No way am I using Anti-seize on a pistol.

Top Bottom