• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Yes, a learning experience and a fun one.
    2. Now that retirement looms, and my income being cut a $1000/mo. I'm going to have to behave myself and probably have to downsize my more expensive toys.
    3. I thought I had a few more years of being "rich," but I'm hard-pressed to put in even 1 more year, as opposed to going 5 more years to 70 yrs. old like I always planned: when you are at work and asking yourself, "What am I doing here?" it is time to think of a quicker exit.

4. Your point (as well as KJQ's point is not lost on me): I need not repeat my gun approach to slides.
    5. It would not be a fun journey as was the guns. I believe both of you, and appreciate you taking the time to keep me from a rabbit hole.
    6. As usual, I thought I'd be able to have some fun on the cheap, but as my daughter says when I spend real money to get another house, car or go on a real vacation (like she has advised for years before death do as part): "See, I told you! When will you listen to me?"
    7. Actually, our expensive Maine vacation was not worth it, but we were just celebrating going anywhere with my wife's health recovered, so I was not being overly-analytical as per my usual modus operandi.

8. Warning heeded! (I got my money refunded)

Ok, I'm going to throw something out there completely different, if you want to have some fun.

So, I know you like 22 LR's, and that you are mostly a handgun guy (as am I), but that you seem to have some interest in optics.

For something completely different, step outside the handgun box and get an S&W 15-22 and add a fairly inexpensive Primary Arms red dot... if you don't have fun with that combination, not sure you know how to have fun.

Or, if wanting to stay handguns, you could go with a Ruger Mark IV or one of your already existing 22's (Buckmark, etc) with a rail and add a Primary Arms red dot of some sort.

Those are some fairly cheap suggestions that will put a smile on your face and should hold up. My PA red dot has held up nicely on my 15-22 (as none of my suggestions have a moving slide involved, and PA while not being a top tier optic by any means is pretty well regarded). The 15-22 with the red dot is what I hand to anyone new to shooting who goes to the range with me. That and some steel plates always brings a smile.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'll second a Primary arms dot, also other cheap dots by Atibal are very rugged, and there is the always tough trs-25. The cheapest way to get into optic pistols is like websnyper suggested, a target 22 pistol with a factory rail so you can mount one of the above without requiring milling or expensive open gun style mounts. Some people don't even like optics on pistols once they get one, they aren't as easy as the advertisements make them out to be and require training. if you want to come down to Columbus you can run my optics pistols (320rx) or in a few weeks when allenm is done with my glock you can run my 32 with a trijicon rmr.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    THIS HIGH TECH MILITARY TARGETING SYSTEM
    AIMS YOUR GUN FOR YOU!

This would have been enough for me to turn the page.. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is and this doesn't sound to good to be true it sounds ridiculous. NOTHING aims your gun for you and for $40? Glad you managed to get a refund, I doubt you are so lucky the next time LOL...

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ok, I'm going to throw something out there completely different, if you want to have some fun.
    So, I know you like 22 LR's, and that you are mostly a handgun guy (as am I), but that you seem to have some interest in optics.

O. Having a handgun with an optic does hold out some promise for diversity and fun as a variation on a theme. :laugh:
    1. Right, don't do any rifles: sold my last one (Henry lever-action, that I loved).

For something completely different, step outside the handgun box and get an S&W 15-22 and add a fairly inexpensive Primary Arms red dot... if you don't have fun with that combination, not sure you know how to have fun.
    Or, if wanting to stay handguns, you could go with a Ruger Mark IV or one of your already existing 22's (Buckmark, etc) with a rail and add a Primary Arms red dot of some sort.

2. I presently have two Mark 4 (a 22/45 and another "Target" style grip that has a different angle), Buckmark, two S/W 22A-1, Colt Target and Beretta Neos, S/W Victory, and a GSG and R.I.A. 1911 style 22LR.
    3. One of those should be able to take an optic.

Those are some fairly cheap suggestions that will put a smile on your face and should hold up. My PA red dot has held up nicely on my 15-22 (as none of my suggestions have a moving slide involved, and PA while not being a top tier optic by any means is pretty well regarded). The 15-22 with the red dot is what I hand to anyone new to shooting who goes to the range with me. That and some steel plates always brings a smile.

4. Do I find this online and just order, or is there a certain site you would recommend?
    5. I do love ringing plates: I've done that with gmcttr in Columbus and with KJQ at his private range!
    6. Thanks for the info! Appreciate you taking the time.
    :thumbsup:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Here is a link to primary arms, specifically a link to a Bushnell TRS-25. You should be able to mount it to a rail on your mark 4. The TRS is the cheapest little dot that will give you solid results day after day. Look into their catalog a bit and you'll find the primary arms branded dots that are also excellent values and reliable.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Here is a link to primary arms, specifically a link to a Bushnell TRS-25. You should be able to mount it to a rail on your mark 4. The TRS is the cheapest little dot that will give you solid results day after day. Look into their catalog a bit and you'll find the primary arms branded dots that are also excellent values and reliable.

1. Thanks, my friend: the one who started my CZ craze with that wonderful CZ Omega I enjoyed! :laugh:
    2. I will look it up.
    3. Haven't forgot your range invite, but it doesn't look good for next week.
    4. Between working around the house and taking my wife places (today was James Whitcomb Riley boyhood home in Greenfield: I told you I was boring, and we enjoyed it): she is not loosening the leash, but is serious about me making up for the summer, working around the house and vacationing between times which is not including any gun fun. I did manage to get away for 45 minutes today after putting some sealer on a trim board for the porch, and buy a Ruger P95 for fun today, and I'm dying to try it out.
    5. I want to go to the Marion County Fairground gun show tomorrow and/or the range, but I don't think either is going to happen b/c of taking her to a movie in the am (after a 2nd coat on the trim board) and some painting that I got out of today with rains coming in, but trying to put it off till next Tuesday.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Is this what you are recommending?

[FONT=&amp]Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Sight 1x25mm - 3 MOA

SKU: BS731303
    MPN: 731303
    Manufactured by Vista Outdoor
    [/FONT]$89.99
    $140.25
    Features:
    3 MOA red dot for fast target acquisition
    Shockproof, waterproof, and fog proof
    Durable aluminum construction
    Nitrogen purged
    Amber glass lens for a sharp resolution in the woods
    Fully multicoated glass for maximum light transmission
    Easy to zero and adjust illumination
    Integrated weaver rail mount
    Great for mounting on your AR-15, .22 caliber rifle, or even shotgun
    Light weight
    Unlimited field of view
    Black anodized finish

[FONT=&amp]

• [*=center]
      BS731303_02.jpg

[*=center]
      BS731303_00.jpg
      BS731303_01.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hate to say it, but I think this about every day, and I've got several more years to go... :n00b:

1. It is surreal that I have even planned on retirement this June: it truly came upon my suddenly, this "knowing I'm done" attitude. I've been teaching in 5 different decades, and if I made it to 2020 it would be 6 different decades. Bragging rights in some form, but I don't know anyone who cares. :lmfao:
    2. I already have reasons why it would be so much better financially to work even 1 more year, but I doubt if I'll change my mind b/c I think that will always be the case.
    3. Many things could happen in the next 5 months. After you turn in your papers, you can't change your mind: you're done, and I have to do that in March, I believe.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Both Mark 4s that I have, have a smooth barrel with no place to attach an optic.
    2. I wonder how many of my other guns do not allow an optic as well.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    1. Both Mark 4s that I have, have a smooth barrel with no place to attach an optic...

I forget which models you have but I think you will find they both are drilled and tapped for a rail. Look to see if there are 2-3 holes in the top of the receiver with slotted plugs filling the holes.

Here is one from Ruger and I'm sure many others are available. Mark IV™ Mark III™ & 22/45™ Picatinny Rail-ShopRuger

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    1. Both Mark 4s that I have, have a smooth barrel with no place to attach an optic.
    2. I wonder how many of my other guns do not allow an optic as well.

I believe that is an easy fix on the mk4. The red dot will mount onto that rail.

For micro red dots on moving slides you generally need to have the slide milled to for it. These mount with screws down onto your slide. Here is a pic for reference
    fAAK4e7.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Green: one thing always leads to another, does it not?! :ugh::wallbash::dunno::lmfao:

Lol at least this rabbit hole doesn't end in the shadows lol. I thought you had rails already that's my bad, but you'll love it. Red dots really shine when you train two eyes open and can really make transitions fast. On your 6 target sheets you can start working different orders -2 top left transition 2mid right etc... That kind of training will pay off of you start shooting Friday night steel.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Lol at least this rabbit hole doesn't end in the shadows lol. I thought you had rails already that's my bad, but you'll love it. Red dots really shine when you train two eyes open and can really make transitions fast. On your 6 target sheets you can start working different orders -2 top left transition 2mid right etc... That kind of training will pay off of you start shooting Friday night steel.

1. I'm sure one of my guns will do the optic, hopefull, one of my 22LRs.
    2. If it wasn't so late, I'd go look.
    3. I shoot with both eyes open now, so it shouldn't be too much of a transition.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd do some reading on optics, etc as well. Been a while since I researched this stuff myself in depth when selecting my PA dot for my 15-22, but you will want to understand size of dot (usually expressed in x MOA) and how that impacts the type of shooting you plan to do, etc.

Also, if you have vision issues, certain types of optics can interact with those conditions in certain ways ( https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/06/the-more-you-know-astigmatism/ )

Then depending on the application of the optic, and using iron sights as well, there is the whole aspect of co-witness, etc.

I'd do some reading on optics before getting too crazy if I were you, especially since you don't have a good handle on mounts, rails, etc currently.

Top Bottom