• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    This is our Principle Based Response (PBR) to a powerful low line stab. It allows you to protect your core, block/evade the blade and move you off the center line using one gross motor skill response. As you can see in the video practicing this full speed without pads can be very painful because of the default targeting of the large nerve bundle that is situated int he forearm just below the elbow. Very often in training the weapon will go flying in response to the strike. You will want to wear pads after doing this a few times. Once you have block or evaded the initial stab you can use whatever skill sets you may have.

Video of STABPBR - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I can't believe I missed this thread this long :xmad:

I took some time and looked through everything you had up there, definitely some good stuff. I like the PBR you’re using. I can’t tell for sure (guess I’ll have to make the class) but it appears to be a heel of hand strike to the forearm nerve bundle. We’ve been using something pretty similar taught by the Dog Brothers called the dog catcher as our default response for about 6 months now. It seems to work really well for us. One big difference I noticed between the two comes after the pass where the dog catcher is almost always followed by a head position and drive. I noticed none of your vids really take into account head pressure, or driving through the adversary, any reason why? If you’re not familiar with their teachings, I think they’ve got some stuff on their website. Again, very similar, they just add head position / head butt and drive through.

Thanks for the info.

Tinman….

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I see your points. I just do these video clips to show the basic principles. If I beat the crap out of the guys I sucker into doing these it will be fast and then people say "sure, he can do that, he has lots of training" So instead I just show them how to survive the initial attack meaning the first cut/slash/stab. If you can do that and get to the outside you can draw on your previous training or primal instinct and do what needs to be done.

I am also very hesitant to say do A, B, and C. Instead I say if you can do A it will likely present these options. In this particular video if the attacker ends up in the position he does I would not feel comfortable reaching for the head (one of my favorites targets of course for CNS disruption) since whenever you reach there is a good chance of over extending yourself and losing base. Instead, again from the position he is in in the video, I would likely be inclined to drive the side of my foot into his right knee, as he reacts to that and begins to crumble I would help him backwards by hooking my two middle fingers with each hand and pulling him down sharply at a 45 degree angle down to the deck. Hopefully his head will bounce of the ground (see I got to the head) and as it does he will look up to me behind him stomping his face and collar bones. You can see by my graphic depiction why I hesitate to show it in a video clip. To some this may be extreme until they are reminded that he just attacked me with a knife. Come violent or don't come at all. Hope this makes sense.

Top Bottom